What happens to the metabolism after being anorexic?

Options
I am 5'6" tall 21 years old and weigh 96 lbs... I am anorexic. A calorie counting freak lol anyways I am trying to gain but I am terrified because I do not know if my metabolism slowed down a lot or if it is faster? I guess I'm afraid of gaining 4 lbs a day if I ate whatever I want. Is that possible? I also walk on the treadmill daily for at least an hour sometimes an hour and a half because I don't have the energy to run. Does that take into effect of metabolism too? Sorry so many questions lol.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Are you under the care of a medical professional? I don't know many people here that would feel comfortable giving you advice. You should follow whatever advice they've given you.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor or health professional. Reading your past posst you still have huge problems and it would be better to seek proper advice rather than advice from randoms on a forum

Good luck
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    As a short answer... Yes. Your metabolism will have likely been damaged by your anorexia.

That said, this is something you should be talking to your doctor about. Your specific needs will be very different from the average person's (for awhile, anyway,) and it is important that you get real help. This is definitely not something you should be trying to figure out by yourself, even with the help of the internet.
  • snappyapples
    Options
    First of all, congratulations on trying to be healthier. As someone who has had her own struggles with mental health (not ED), I know how hard it is to try and return to "normal," and seeking advice is a wonderful step. Good on you :)

But everyone else is right. You need to consult a doctor and a nutritionist to help you gain weight in a healthy manner. And if you haven't already, seek the care of a mental health professional as well. There are serious underlying issues with anorexia, and in order to overcome them, a team of professionals is really the best course of action. Good luck!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Talk to a Doctor, and gain some weight and start lifting instead of cardio cause your lean muscle mass is all gone.
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    that is difficult to say. there are so many variables that factor in...length of time restricting, health consequences experienced due to eating disorder, natural set point weight, etc. some people with anorexia have a hard time putting on weight even in controlled settings where the calorie intake is quite high. i suspect your body would use increased calories initially for repair purposes. weight gain would follow some time down the road. i wouldn't assume just because you have suffered from an eating disorder that your metabolism is compromised. and if your metabolism has slowed, as you work toward recovery your whole body will start to function as it should (including metabolism).

yes, i agree with the other posters, seeing a doctor about this serious issue is important.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Actually, anorexics can become hypermetabolic when they initially begin nourishing themselves. The first time I went into hospital, I lost weight eating 3,500 kcals per day. Your body needs extra energy to repair any damage caused by restriction. Your running on the treadmill while so underweight is probably doing more damage to your metabolism than anything else right now, as your body will have to conserve energy somehow to keep you alive.

Try not to weigh yourself right now because your body in the initial stages will retain more water than usual for repair, causing the number on the scale to be artificially higher (and you to freak out!).
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    First of all.... please seek guidance of a medical professional. You are underweight and you'll want to gain weight in a healthy manner - not just eating all the foodz!!! You need to help build your metabolism and get all the proper nutrients.

Secondly - congrats on wanting to make this step. As someone who suffer(ed)(s) from an ED .... that is a very very big step!!!! I truly hope you have a very good support system that will be by your side. You will have a lot of moments you want to walk forever b/c you're afraid to gain weight. But you need to restrict your exercise. Maybe only 30 min. You'll have moments of passing up food. Again - you need a support system that wont try to FORCE you to eat.

Lastly - yes... your metabolism is in very bad shape right now. However, to your benefit you are young and it will probably be easy to repair and fairly quickly if you seek the proper guidance from medical staff.

Best of luck to you!!! I hope you find treatment and support and get healthy!!! ((HUGS))
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Talk to a Doctor, and gain some weight and start lifting instead of cardio cause your lean muscle mass is all gone.

No, do not under any circumstances start lifting until you get the all-clear from your doctor and team. Due to the possibility of cardiac damage, lifting can actually be extremely dangerous.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

No, do not under any circumstances start lifting until you get the all-clear from your doctor and team. Due to the possibility of cardiac damage, lifting can actually be extremely dangerous.

AGREE!!!!
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    these dudes never gone through hypermetabolism srsly.

i don't know what the science behind it is really but most people recovering from a restrictive type ED go through a hypermetabolic stage when they first start recovery. this is why your first couple of weeks IP your weight plummets like crazy, even given the inevitable water weight gain. then it starts to come on. that's why when you start recovery you're MEGA HUNGRY and i'm talking hunger like you never felt at any point during AN. It's not like a binge urge it's like this insane physical hunger. It's what often derails people's recovery because it is bloody terrifying. But after that im not sure, i'd assume your metabolism is slightly lower than a normal persons for a while, mostly because of a low bmi. Metabolisms are good at keeping you alive though, and they do adjust again eventually.

Also, there is a difference between having an eating disorder and just being obsessed with calorie counting. I'm not saying you don't have one, i'm just putting it out there for anyone who might misunderstand that statement. A big difference.