Best Protein Powder

Options
I have been wanting to get a protein powder with a good flavor, that mixes up well, and doesn't have that chalky texture. I've heard that Cellucor is pretty good as far as taste, but I'm not sure what flavor to go with or if that is even the best one out there. I'm mostly looking to put w/e I end up getting into shakes/smoothies and cooking (like waffles, etc). Any suggestions?

PS: Feel free to add me. I need friiieeeeennndssss! :P

Replies

• sarahcav123
    sarahcav123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love Optimum Nutrition - the chocolate one is gooooood.

More friends is always good, you're right - feel free to add me!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    BSN Lean Dessert! I've tried the whipped vanilla cream and the chocolate fudge flavors, both are delicious. I use them for smoothies, protein pancakes, and even just in some water or milk, if I'm in a hurry. The down side, it's a little pricey. On amazon.com I get a 1.91lb tub for about $20-$23.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Trutein. Hands down. It's been rated the best tasting by several different sources, and by me as well. :smile: Plus it doesn't hide any fillers by claiming "proprietary blend", and is really high in protein per calorie per scoop.

Vanilla, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup and Chocolate Truffle are my favorites. I blend the vanilla with frozen strawberries and a little water, and omg I'm drinking a strawberry milkshake! :love:
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Many different companies make many different flavours which all taste different, you'll need to find one that you enjoy.. Most flavours people enjoy are, cookies and cream, banana, strawberry and vanilla...

I personally wouldn't recommend cooking with any protein powder, you don't know what occurrence chemically may take place when heating up.. This is what I've been told however..

There isn't really any "best" protein powder because most of them have the same function: Assisting one to meet their protein macro nutrient needs.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate or Banana Cream (or mix the two - my favorite). I typically mix in a shaker bottle with water, but it's even better mixed with milk.

Trutein is also good, especially their Cinnabun flavor.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb Whey Protein, "best tasting protein on the planet". Says so right on the bag. I like it, I use it mostly for mixing with my plain greek yogurt, no gritty taste.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    SunWarrior Vegan Chocolate Warrior Blend is my favorite (available at HyVee or Amazon).
  • Viggyfuss
    Viggyfuss Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    right now im using Total Soy protein powder. only 130 cals (mixed in 8 oz water) and 13g protein. mixes well. tastes good w no "bad "after taste... not expensive. i use it in a smoothie every morning with fresh fruit (currently strawberries) fills me up but if im extra hungry or active i add some greek NF yogurt too. ive seen alot about Optimum nutrition but ? maybe expensive and im on a tight budget.
  • hpheath
    hpheath Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Ocean Avenue WavSmart Protein Powder. Comes in vanilla so you can make it any flavor you like and you can bake with it also. I mix it into baked oatmeal and pancakes. Tastes amazing and it very high quality.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Trutein. Hands down. It's been rated the best tasting by several different sources, and by me as well. :smile: Plus it doesn't hide any fillers by claiming "proprietary blend", and is really high in protein per calorie per scoop.

Vanilla, Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup and Chocolate Truffle are my favorites. I blend the vanilla with frozen strawberries and a little water, and omg I'm drinking a strawberry milkshake! :love:

That's also pretty darn low-carb... (4g per scoop!)

Hold the front door.

I might have to try this!

Probiotics, Glutamine, and Omega 3's

This just gets better and better..
  • JesChernosky
    JesChernosky Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really like Dymatize Elite. It is a slow burning protein powder with 30g protein per scoop. I mix with water and ice. Sometimes I'll add a little peanut butter or banana to make it a little creamier, but it does thicken up just fine without the extra, unlike some I have tried. It also doesn't completely kill my fats and sugars like some do.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    I use Gnc's Promasil Vanilla Protein - It does its job - 90 Calories per scoop - 20g of Protein/1g of Fat/ 0g of Carbs

(Only reason why I use it is because it has no carbs)
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options

It's also on sale now and I just ordered a 4# tub of the choc peanut butter for half the price of a 2# tub of what I was using (which was 20G/scoop of protein for nearly the same cals/carbs/sugars) but since this is higher by 5 grams of protein and the price is 1/4th, I'm trying this!
  • badbcatha05
    badbcatha05 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    So far every single protein powder I have ever tried has that funky protein powder taste. I use Teras Whey right now. I through in a couple tablespoons of powdered peanut butter to the chocolate or the powdered peanut butter and chocolate to the vanilla... Like magic-- that protein funk is gone.
  • Jen61885
    Jen61885 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use Pro Complete One V-Core, the vanilla flavor. 120 calories per scoop. 20g Protein. It's also low sugar which is important to me b/c I'm Diabetic. I really like it. You can drink it with just water. It doesn't require all the extra add ins like other protein powders. I love adding sugar free flavor syrups though. You can buy at Complete Nutrition.
  • RyanG2106
    RyanG2106 Posts: 29
    Options
    Its all down to personal preference, I know people that swear by a certain brand, but that brand gives me gas......

Personally I use Optimum Nutrition, tastes great and mixes well.

Try a few and see how you get on, it wont hurt to change brands etc.

Best advice I can give is to avoid so called 'Diet' whey's (calories are often higher, and no real benefit), and try and get Whey Isolate, its a purer form of Whey.

Good luck
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I personally wouldn't recommend cooking with any protein powder, you don't know what occurrence chemically may take place when heating up.. This is what I've been told however..

I have wondered about this myself. I have found several recipes for things including protein powder but wondered if it would break it down during the cooking process. Oatmeal for instance, is is best to add the powder after it is cooked or before cooking? things to consider.
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

That's also pretty darn low-carb... (4g per scoop!)

Hold the front door.

I might have to try this!

Probiotics, Glutamine, and Omega 3's

This just gets better and better..

Where does one purchase trutein? I prefer to buy mine locally so hoping it is for sale at a local store. :)
  • DEPick
    DEPick Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate or Banana Cream (or mix the two - my favorite). I typically mix in a shaker bottle with water, but it's even better mixed with milk.

Trutein is also good, especially their Cinnabun flavor.

^this
  • moondazed
    moondazed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use ISOFLEX Whey Protein right now. I have both Chocolate and Vanilla and they taste so awesome, are easy to mix and have awesome stats. (30g of protein, 1g of carb, 0g fat, and 130 calories per scoop!) I've heard really good things about their PB+Chocolate and Banana Supreme flavours, and I can't wait to try them.

I've tried many other brands and this is my favourite so far.