Nervous about Easter?

Options
I'm traveling alone with my two boys (stressful) to see family who cooks divine food. I always over-eat there and none of it's healthy (think Paula Deen level). This is my first time being with anyone where I don't control what's gone in the foods and have a way to measure it.

How will you keep yourself in check? Dessert will be my downfall probably.

Replies

• KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You may not be able to control what goes into it, but you can control your portions. So watch those and don't worry about the rest. It's one day.

Though I confess, I'm terrified of making the kids Easter baskets. Now that I'm prediabetic, munching away at the kids chocolate may not be the best thing for me!! LOL
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You may not be able to control what goes into it, but you can control your portions. So watch those and don't worry about the rest. It's one day.

Though I confess, I'm terrified of making the kids Easter baskets. Now that I'm prediabetic, munching away at the kids chocolate may not be the best thing for me!! LOL

I've tried to make sure there's not much candy going in. I don't let them eat it all at once though (they're 5 and 2) so it'll be just hanging out....that scares me. haha. I got them tubes of Mini M&Ms that I could eat 5 of in one sitting...5 tubes I mean.
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm having similar thoughts, but I decided to bring something (most likely a salad) that's healthy to share. I'm not going to beat myself up for enjoying Easter food, but I'm also realistic that I have a weight loss goal. Moderation will be the key. Good luck to you and I hope you have a Happy Easter!
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I hear you on that.

Times when I know I'll be exposed to rich foods, I usually eat something beforehand. This way I don't feel hungry when I get to the event, and am thus less likely to overeat the foods that I shouldn't be eating a lot of.

If you're worried about desserts, then bring one with you; a fresh fruit platter or something.

Or you can always eat a little bit less the day before and/or do a heavy workout the day of.

In the end, it's only going to be one day. Don't stress it too much, holidays are meant to be enjoyed.
  • AKNMHunt
    AKNMHunt Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'll drink my water on the way and probably eat a protein bar to help fill me up (it's a 2hr drive). I am still trying to figure out a side dish to take too.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes, because I'm going to Memphis...and I will eat ALL the BBQ. But it's only 4 days, we'll be doing lots of walking and I might be able to convince my friends to hit the gym with me. Trying to go in with the mindset of allowing only one meal/day to be on the large side but who knows where we'll find ourselves...plus I plan to drink.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm saving up all week for damage control!
    We do brunch with mimosas! I'm gonna go over by noon I've just accepted it.
    It's ok it's a holiday!
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    If we are talking just the one day, I don't sweat it. I have not been on a diet, I have embraced a lifestyle. With that will come many holidays and special occasions. This is how I live it.

I just use common sense. Eat what is served, with an eye to portion control. Skip on seconds. Eat slow and savor, enjoy the company. Don't drink calories, except if it's booze (lol). One dessert, not two or three, etc.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm going to bathe in caramel than cover myself in white chocolate. That usually satisfies my cravings.
  • K_Train450
    K_Train450 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your fill of whatever you want. Try to track as many of the foods as possible. Restrict extra calories or do more cardio the next few days = problem solved.
  • thecass_withclass
    Options
    I'm pretty much a human vacuum cleaner when it comes to chocolate, so I'm definitely a little worried going to my relatives house. They set Easter baskets FULL of junk all over the house :O
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    It's one meal, enjoy it every single bite of it, log it... Monday get back on track. You are making changes that are lifelong, if that is the case than there will be many holidays, celebrations, dinners out, etc you need to find a way to handle them and enjoy them while understanding that 1 meal will not ruin anything.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Don't eat the entire pie (or whatever they serve for dessert). Enjoy it. Get back on track Monday.