My kid is XX months old....

Options
1PatientBear
1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
At what point do you stop saying your child is XX months old? Do you say "he's a year" despite his advanced age of 14 months? Do you say "she's 1 1/2" when she's actually 20 months? What's the cutoff for you?

Replies

• MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    Why would you stop? I'm 344 months old.
  • BigBellyGoAway
    BigBellyGoAway Posts: 781 Member
    Options

545 months here. :laugh:
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    to me, it always depended on who was asking and how specific i needed to be. but i'm pretty sure I dropped the months thing all together around 1 1/2 and started saying "he's almost 2" and then went from there.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent but from what I've observed, the xx months thing usually stops around age 2. This theory may be way off base (I'll have to verify with my parental friends) but I think they do the months thing because that's how age is referred to on products and by doctors.

FYI, I'm 479 months and 21 days old
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This actually came up today. My son will be 5 July 24th and while talking to a colleague she mentioned her son and we got to talking about the youngins. She asked I said 4 then she told me her son was 4 and 9 months to which I felt obligated to say mine in months.

I just remember saying my son was under a year or after a year he became X years old unless someone else specifies/ask.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Anything after a year.
  • LarDoucheLar
    LarDoucheLar Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'd probably say 2 is the cut off mark and then on say their age in years but if they're at the half way mark say 2 then 2 and a half, 3 then 3 and half and so on.

My son is 18 months old but i sometimes say he's 1 and a half.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    My kid is 324 months old. I say it like that because he still lives at home. It makes me feel better.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    After two years, I stopped doing it.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yeah, usually around 2 years. That's when the development is less month-to-month. But of course as they say, every child is different.

My oldest son I say he's 3 (or now almost 4 in May) but my twins, they are 19 months.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am childfree by choice...not a mom and will never be. But I don't bat an eye until it goes over 24 months and then come on, he/she is 2, 3, 4...

When I was younger anything besides 1, 1 1/2, 2 sounded weird to me but now I'm getting used to friends talking about their 16 month old or whatever.

Whatever ;-)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Lol! I dont have kids and have always thought it was odd when parents say their child is 24 months old. Why not say 2 years or a year and a half? I suppose so much changes with the kids each month?
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    302 months old over here! I'm a big girl now!! :happy:
  • Crysty2010
    Crysty2010 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I'm literally loling right now
  • Crysty2010
    Crysty2010 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they just change so much in those 1st two years that months are appropriate for a time, but as a mom to four kiddos, I stop the months thing around 18 months and go on to 1.5, 2, etc..
  • snappyapples
    Options
    My kid is 324 months old. I say it like that because he still lives at home. It makes me feel better.

OMG I just almost peed reading that. Tehehe.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    At 2 yrs.

Also I'm 611 months and in 3 days I'm turning 612 moths!!
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I plan on stopping at 2. Apparently too much confusion is created by just saying 1.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    18 months. Unless I was talking to someone with a kid under the age of 2. In that case 20 months or 22 months might seem more relevant to our conversation. Even then I think it was more like "she'll be two in December" etc.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    12 months.

it makes me effing crazy when people say 3whatever months.

the motherfulsdjflasdkjf;alkdjflasdf.

get over it. they are over a year.

Thank god I never have to deal with that.

kids are icky.