Vacation Assistance Please!!

Options
Ok!! My family and I are headed to the beach for a week next month...I'm super ecstatic about it of course...but would like some ideas on what to eat there!! I follow a lower carb lifestyle which is 50-100/day. I do it for mainly health reasons but it does make me feel WAY BETTER. Our hotel is on the beach so we can run in to the room to eat lunch and grab snacks. But my concern is, the family will be eating chips, sandwiches, little Debbie's, etc, and I don't want that. I can do good eating out with salads, bunless burger, etc. I'm thinking, string cheese, fruit, light Activia yogurt, peanut butter...does anyone else have some good ideas for quick cold cooler/hotel fridge lunches?? All ideas welcome!!! Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Don't have great food tips, but on vacation i always make sure to get plenty of exercise. I will use the hotel gym or buy day passes for a local gym. Failing that will make sure I get plenty of walking or snorkeling. On my profile page you can see every piece of workout equipment I used (ellipticals, treadmill, a plunge pool big enough for laps) on my last vacation traveling around independently in the Dominican Republic.

For lunch from in the hotel mini bar I would suggest pre-packaged supermarket salads, beef jerky and fruit.
  • JanineAlexis
    JanineAlexis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think you've already got some great ideas! If you can make it to a grocery store maybe just grab some fruit and veggies trays and then it's all cut up and ready for you to nosh on.
  • cub1771
    cub1771 Posts: 4
    Options
    Almonds, protein shakes, carrots/celery things like that
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I also do L.C. due to health reasons and I can't have gluten, very limited dairy, no soy, etc so I know how hard it is to find foods to bring along on a trip. I like to think tropics when i'm on a beach, Watermelon cut up in cubes, pineapple chunks, coconut water, for protein pre-cook up some chicken breast and put them in containers. I'm guessing you will have a cooler to bring along to store your foods in so anything that can precooked is a great idea. You could also make up salads and put them in mason jars that way they stay fresh, cold and won't get soggy if the ice in the cooler melts. If you crave salty you can bring pickles, low sodium sunflower seeds. I like to take a jar and fill it with 100% natural peanutbutter and stick celery sticks in it. That way it's portable, sealed and you can portion out how much celery and peanutbutter you want.

Hope this helps
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    Lunch food to stash in a hotel mini bar.

Pre packaged cut up vegetable sticks to dip into supermarket hummous or tzaziki.
    Turkey based luncheon meats.
    Crab sticks.
    No fat yoghurt.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    We try to stay at places where suites come with a full kitchen. They are usually only 30-40 more dollars a night, and you can easily save that if you prepare one meal yourself each day. We usually prepare most of our own meals on vacation. I also like to bring chopped veggies and hummus to snack on.
  • jeanners98
    jeanners98 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    hummus with grocery store veggie tray or sugarsnap peas. nuts (almonds raw) and dried apricots.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    In for answers.
    I haven't been able to get Y's or gyms to answer mails asking about temporary memberships or pay-per-visit.