negitive calorie and its effects on PR an event like Spartan

Options
So I've been in calorie deficit since April 1st to drop winter weight and lately I've noticed Im flat out of energy all the time. Its killing my workouts which Im ok with as I know its short term...but Im signed up for a Spartan race a week from this Saturday. In the spirit of competition I want to do my best, but the way I feel now there is a chance one could find me cat napping mid course. So the question is should I up my calorie intake before the event and if so by how much and how many days before? I know this may sound ridiculous but im on a roll (weight loss) and being lighter could also help.

Replies

• beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would eat at maintenance for the next two weeks leading up to the race, with a good balance of carbs/protein/fat. This will help restore your glycogen which should help with energy. You will likely notice a 3-5lb spike in your weight but that's normal and should go away once you are back in a deficit. In my opinion, the glycogen fuel sources are going to have a much bigger impact than the ~1-2 lbs in fat you could hope to lose in the same time period.

Good luck and have fun!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    You can't continue to eat at such a deficit that you feel your energy is zapped AND be able to do well in the race.
    Decide which is more important to you.
    If it's important to do well in the race, I'd eat AT LEAST maintenance with a boat load of carbs to replenish your very depleted glycogen levels and accept the (temporary) water retention that is to follow.
    OR
    Continue eating at your (likely) too high a deficit, continue to lose scale weight but not have that great a result at the race.
    You can't do both.

The little bit of water retention weight you put on likely won't effect your outcome on the race. I'd give yourself at least a week of refueling if that's the route you decide to take.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I agree with sarahstrezo....

I looked at your diary ...your deficet is way too large..

It is either important to do your cut at a big deficet and do crap on the race or

do your cut at a decent pace and do well in the race....
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree with sarahstrezo....

I looked at your diary ...your deficet is way too large..

It is either important to do your cut at a big deficet and do crap on the race or

do your cut at a decent pace and do well in the race....

Damn, I didn't even look at your diary until now OP. You aren't eating enough. I eat more than you and I'm a 5'5" 134 lb female….AND I'm cutting eating more than you.
    You are a grown man….eat like one.
  • Ebcanada
    Ebcanada Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I think ill try to get to maintenance next week and even positive 2 to 3 days before.