Mexican food? D:

Options
kandell
kandell Posts: 473 Member
Tonight my roommate and I are hosting game night. Cool, sweet, awesome. It's also a potluck. Again, fun. But the theme is Mexican. I already had a terrible, super high calorie Italian meal last night, so I don't want to have another ruined day.

I have 600 calories left for the day. What kind of Mexican foods/portions can I do on 600 calories or less?

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I mean, you can get a lot of a fritata (probably), unless they used lots of regular eggs and oil. A burrito minus the wrap might be good, so long as you go easy on the rice and they didn't use oil to cook the meat. It really can vary so much depending on how the person cooked the food that it's honestly impossible to tell. I could make a few tacos be filling for under 600, or I can make a single taco 600. Sorry I couldn't be of more help :/
  • walterx4
    walterx4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Fish tacos with Tilapia, cilantro and lime on corn tortillas. Yummy. Add a little red cabbage and you've got it made.
  • lensperry
    lensperry Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You could do a nice chicken taco salad with lettuce as a base if you had chicken. Chicken, a little cheese, onion, tomatoes, taco sauce, a little refried beans, dab of light sour cream - it's actually pretty filling.
  • brookemart81
    brookemart81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's the tortillas that get me with mexican food- lot of extra calories for not much food. If you get a burrito bowl at Chipotle, for example, even with the rice and stuff in there it's way better for you than tacos and burritos. I think if I were at a mexican pot luck type thing I'd be looking to make a bowl out of taco fixings- ideally chicken, black beans, a little rice, salsa, any veggies, and guacamole.

ETA: I actually had tacos last night that I worked out to be about 300 calories each. Small flour tortilla, bunch of shredded chicken, lettuce, pico de gallo, and cheese. Yeah I probably would've had a third one (or some chips!) if I wasn't trying to limit calories, but they were big tacos and I was pretty full.
  • kandell
    Options
    This is very encouraging! So basically I just need to stay away from the tortillas I think. Well that and the chips. I think I should look into a food scale, too XP
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Load up on salsas, whole beans, and veggies (and lean meat), go easy on tortillas, refried beans, and anything too heavy on cheese (or ground meat). Mexican food can be super healthy! I love it!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Five and half Corona Lights :drinker:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, especially the burrito bowl suggestion. What are you contributing to the potluck? I would probably bring avocadoes, lime, cilantro, and lettuce to round out others' meat- and cheese-heavy contributions!
  • Ulfgard
    Ulfgard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Go for an hour so so run then come back an eat everything :)
  • lensperry
    lensperry Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If my name and running were to ever go in the same sentence, it would be for Mexican food. Seriously. :love:
  • hiryze
    hiryze Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not real Mexican but I am currently eating a delicious taco salad that is under 500 calories. Romaine lettuce with lean ground beef seasoned with onion, garlic, and cumin, full fat shredded cheese, pinto beans, tomatoes, and dressing made from equal parts salsa and nonfat Greek yogurt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just replace the tortillas with lettuce and make a big salad out of the toppings. I don't even use dressing, just salsa.
  • kandell
    Options
    Oh gosh! I didn't think this thread would get that many responses. Thanks guys!

My roomate and I supplied the chips and dips (salsa con queso and spinach artichoke dip). I had one taco and some chips and dip, so hopefully it wasn't too terrible for my diet. I'm at least making up for it today!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Only one of the best dishes in all the worls......................CEVICHE!!!! on tostadas with a side of hot fresh salsa.!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    No way bro! Low cal products suck in the taste dept. Just go all fresh!..................Agian CEVICHE is amazing!! I make a killer ceciche with onion, tomatoes, cilantro, and jalapeno all diced with the Shrimp which is cooked in fresh lime juice....
    put that on a tostada! and spice it up with a fresh salsa ... LOVE!:bigsmile: