What does water have to do with it?

Options
jessspurr
jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
Just a purely inquisitive and agenda-free question... why do people say that drinking water is really important for weight loss? I LOVE water and drink a ton of it. (very very thirsty now just thinking about cold delicious water) But just out of curiosity, how does it help in weight loss in any way? I can see the whole "drink water to feel more full" thing, but am interested to see if anyone knows why it seems to be so important?

Replies

• RyanG2106
    RyanG2106 Posts: 29
    Options
    Good for the joints, flushes toxins out........

Have to remember that a massive portion of the human body is made of water......

No harm in changing the oil :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The only way that it will really effect your weight - well two ways really - is 1) as you said, to help feel full by putting water in your stomach rather than food and 2) helping to offset sodium intake so water weight isn't as much of an issue.

Other than that, IMHO the health benefits have just gotten mixed up with the weight loss benefits over the years. Kind of like exercise - you don't HAVE to workout to lose weight but it's good for your health and can make you look better when you get to goal. You also don't HAVE to drink water to lose weight but it can be helpful and is also good for you in many ways.
  • jessspurr
    Options
    Good for the joints, flushes toxins out........

Have to remember that a massive portion of the human body is made of water......

No harm in changing the oil :)

I agree with all of those things, but does it actually aid weight loss is some way? When people give advice to other people about losing weight its always like "drink so much water!" but...why? I understand that drinking water is very important for the body (like, its actual essential to live :laugh: ) but I can't see how it could actually do anything to lose fat.
  • jessspurr
    Options
    The only way that it will really effect your weight - well two ways really - is 1) as you said, to help feel full by putting water in your stomach rather than food and 2) helping to offset sodium intake so water weight isn't as much of an issue.

Other than that, IMHO the health benefits have just gotten mixed up with the weight loss benefits over the years. Kind of like exercise - you don't HAVE to workout to lose weight but it's good for your health and can make you look better when you get to goal. You also don't HAVE to drink water to lose weight but it can be helpful and is also good for you in many ways.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but you just hear people advising others to do it so much and I thought maybe I was missing something (even though I'm positive if there WAS any actual effect on fat loss I would be reaping the benefits because I drink so much).
  • DJtrvl
    DJtrvl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have read that their are conflicting studies showing water assist the liver in processing toxins and waste from the body, but like a lot of things for every article you read that says something good, another says something contradictory.

That said, I've noticed if I don't drink enough water I can't keep things uh... moving? So their is that.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

definitely this.

Specifically though...I never really felt #1 above worked for me (although I don't struggle with feeling hungry very often anyway) but #2 amazes me because I didn't understand the connection before joining MFP. I drink so much water on road trips and even though I have to stop a bit more often than in the past (when I acted like a camel running off 20 oz of diet cola for the whole day), the scale looks a lot better to me after eating tasty food on a trip!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I don't know about fat loss but I retain a lot of water weight when my liquid intake is low. That annoys me, so try to get as much hydration as possible and I see a lot less fluctuations on the scales. I'm not too worried about it being pure water, though. All hydration works for me.
  • pennyllayne
    pennyllayne Posts: 265
    Options
    The number of things I've read on water don't seem to have any hard evidence that it does assist with weight loss, but as health is important to weight loss it fits in in that respect. Also, if you're retaining water drinking more water can help get the scales moving by releasing the excess stored water.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Along with being essential, water is the main component of plasma in the blood. Blood carries all nutrients and waste to and from cells and organs, so the "thicker" your blood is, the less efficient your transportation of nutrients, hormones, etc. will be. It's also involves how energy (glycogen) and oxygen is transferred to muscle cells for physical work. That's why hydration is important.
    As for water weight, the less water one consumes the higher the propensity to retain it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I weighed in a few weeks ago at 173. It then jumped back up to 177-178 and pretty much stayed there. I know where my downfalls are so I'm not gonna cry "I did everything right". I love salt and did not drink much water however in the past 3 days, I cut down, or at least tried to, on my sodium intake and I have been drinking a minimum of 8 glasses of water. This morning my weight was down to 175. I really don't think it's a coincidence.

ETA: Even though it may have been water weight it is still less than what it was.