Fed Up, a Documentary on Obesity... Thoughts?

Options
Capt_Inzane
Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCUbvOwwfWM

Will be released May 9th but just curious as to peoples thoughts. Are they over exaggerating or pointing out exactly what's wrong with us?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    What a joke...people need to have a little self awareness. Nobody is shoving food into your mouth but you. You know why so many people are fat? Because they aren't active enough AND they eat too much...period. "Documentaries" like this make me livid.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Yup, all sugars fault...............not the 10k calories consumed over a day of sitting on the couch
  • klkateri
    klkateri Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I've always been heavy. And I played soccer, hockey, lacrosse and did ballet and pointe. I was also a vegetarian.

Still heavy. I think genetics play a PART in ones body composition. I ran, lifted weights, ate well and still was always a heavier kid, teenager, and adult.

Once I injured myself I never noticed (Till the other day actually) that my pain meds spiked my appetite... part of why I put on a lot of weight.

I'm not saying that it's not all my fault as I enjoy things like dessert and pizza and good beer but there are other things going on as well making my battle that much harder.

I'm not quitting but I always know that I'm probably in the minority of heavier people who are active and trying to be better. Sometimes, I think people just need that moment of clarity where they go "WHoA!!" and that's not something I think a lot of people have but once you have that moment... that's when change can begin and not a moment before.
  • mdelappe
    mdelappe Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to seeing the whole movie. Yes, American's are addicted to sugar but we do have free will to make the decisions about what kind of food we eat. It's time for people to wise up and realize that the food they are getting at restaurants is full of all sorts of addictive items. The documentary should be a great eye opener...
  • HedgeHugs
    HedgeHugs Posts: 80
    Options
    It has a part to do with the person's willpower as well.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I think it's somewhat helpful AND somewhat harmful. It's key that we get back to REAL food, no doubt; processed and sugary foods absolutely do hit the same part of the brain as cocaine, and we've known it for years. On the other hand, it's true that it is YOUR decision what you put in your mouth -- unless, of course, you're 5 years old and your parents are buying what they know, what they like, and what they can afford. Then you're kinda screwed. Looks interesting, thanks for making us aware of it.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I am a citizen of the United States. I am not overweight, I have never been overweight. My parents are both severely obese (they ate enough for two and had snacks of cookies, ice cream, and chips, is that a surprise?) my brother's are all THINNER THAN I AM, essentially almost under weight despite their genetics.

I gained way more than was suggested for both of my pregnancies, I went from 140lbs to 200lbs with both children, the doctors all chattered on and on about how I was at risk with such weight gain, how unhealthy it was for my babies, how bad it was for my health and how I wouldn't likely return to my normal size because I was obviously over eating. I was 155lbs two weeks after both the babies were born, I was 140lbs within a month after my sons and 140lbs within two months of my daughters birth. I never developed any of the issues they said I would get, I also drank coffee (GASP!) and had a few glasses of wine (OMGZZZZZZ!)

I am now in my 30's, with two children, and I still have better abs then a lot of twenty somethings I see walking around. I eat red meat, I eat pizza, I drink whole milk, I even dare chips and bacon!! (le gasp!!!!!!!!). I do not restrict my salt intake, I do drink more water than soda or juice, in fact I pretty much drink water and coffee. However every aspect of my life, and my history, and the way this society supposedly is... I should be (like my parents) severely obese, or at minimal over weight. Not running circles around 20 year olds. ^_^

So do I believe in all this hype about genetics and obesity being the most dangerous threat to humanity since the H bomb was invented? NO. I believe genetics play a small part, but in the end it comes down to you know your body, and you know McDonald;s isn't a good source of protein, or general calories. Put the fork down, go for a walk, and take some responisbility for your actions. If you are completely sure it is genetic or chemistry related then put down the crispy creme and go get tested. You may find out it isn't genetic or chemistry at all but the only way to find out is to ask.

I believe this country has become about fear, restriction, and lack of ability to say ":Yes! It was my fault" like the SUV's jumping lanes suddenly taking out the passenger car in the other lane. Really?
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence about the documentary and can't really say one way or another with the small portion of it I saw. I may watch the entire thing if it's interesting.

I have a 4 year old son and when he is with my ex-wife/her family they eat out constantly. Most the time I pick him up he has a McDonalds bag with him and it got to the point where he wouldn't eat anything other than junk food. I've talked to my ex-wife and even my ex-inlaws and unfortunately it doesn't make a difference. I try and explain when he comes to my house that he must eat healthy food because that's what Super Hero's eat and sometimes it works. Most of my interest in this documentary comes from how society affects children more than anything.

I grew up without any nutritional knowledge and had some medical issues (lot of steroids) but I can't use that as an excuse now. I'm just hoping that I can give my son the knowledge and tools he needs to remain healthy. Can we as a society fault any children that are say under 15? What age would be appropriate? A 15 year old typically has to eat when their parents provide and depending on the family may not have any true knowledge of what a balanced and nutritional diet is. In school one goes over the pyramid but if your school was anything like mine I can say I had absolutely no idea how to eat healthy until I was pretty much grown.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fence about the documentary and can't really say one way or another with the small portion of it I saw. I may watch the entire thing if it's interesting.

I have a 4 year old son and when he is with my ex-wife/her family they eat out constantly. Most the time I pick him up he has a McDonalds bag with him and it got to the point where he wouldn't eat anything other than junk food. I've talked to my ex-wife and even my ex-inlaws and unfortunately it doesn't make a difference. I try and explain when he comes to my house that he must eat healthy food because that's what Super Hero's eat and sometimes it works. Most of my interest in this documentary comes from how society affects children more than anything.

I grew up without any nutritional knowledge and had some medical issues (lot of steroids) but I can't use that as an excuse now. I'm just hoping that I can give my son the knowledge and tools he needs to remain healthy. Can we as a society fault any children that are say under 15? What age would be appropriate? A 15 year old typically has to eat when their parents provide and depending on the family may not have any true knowledge of what a balanced and nutritional diet is. In school one goes over the pyramid but if your school was anything like mine I can say I had absolutely no idea how to eat healthy until I was pretty much grown.
    Who buys the food for said 15 year old? :) Granted you cannot control your ex wife, but you are influencing your son the best you can. Most adults have the same power as you, and yet they choose to do what your ex-wife does. Why? I don't blame McDonald's, I don't blame society, I blame the person.