Primal/paleo

Options
I've been on MFP for a while but am wanting to add more paleo/primal friends! I have thyroid issues that I have just started to mend so I could use some encouragement and peace of mind that I'm not the only one choosing to eat a mostly primal diet! If you're a mean person.. skip right over this.. but if you're nice and helpful and encouraging.. the more the merrier! Add me as a friend with the note saying paleo or primal or something to that effect! :)

Replies

• lynnmariestan1
    lynnmariestan1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am just learning that I need to be primal/paleo. Not sure which yet. I have hypothyroidism, and due to trying every crazy diet out there all of my life, then failing and gorging on tons of sugary foods and pizza, fast food, you name it, my metabolism is all messed out, I am insulin resistant, and have metabolic syndrome. Hypothyroidism diagnosed by a doctor, the other two diagnosed by myself. I work out 5 and 6 times a week, really try to watch what I eat, and I just don't lose weight. It is so frustrating, and I feel so defeated so often. Lately, I have been reading about the benefits of choosing to eat paleo. It is really opening my eyes to the fact that maybe this will finally be the missing piece of my weight loss (or lack thereof) puzzle. I am hoping that by eating paleo my hormones will get back in whack, and my metabolism will correct itself. I am currently on day 7 of the Whole 30, which is 30 days of no dairy, no processed food of any kind, no grains. Just meat, nuts, healthy fats, vegetables, and fruits. After these 30 days I plan to add greek yogurt back into my diet, and almond milk too, and raw honey. so I think that makes me primal not paleo. I am spending a lot of time researching how foods affect my body, and I sure wish I had this information 30 years ago. One thing that I have already noticed is that I don't have any heartburn, I don't feel lethargic after I eat, and I don't lapse into a food coma after I stuff all sorts of bakery down my throat. And I don't wake up with a food hangover. That sounds crazy, but it is totally true. When I gorge myself on these garbagey foods, I wake up feeling so sick, and with such a lack of energy.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Just starting a "paleo" lifestyle myself.
    I'm a diabetic with hyporthyroidism as well. I think the lower carb counts will be beneficial overall for me. I'm tired of having to take more insulin to cover the higher blood sugars caused by the typical SAD with 60-70% carbs. I'm aiming for most of my carbs to come from fruit, so should be about 60grams a day in carbohydrates. That's the amount the medical establishment tells me I can have in a single meal.....sure....and watch as my blood sugar goes over 250. No thanks.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am so in- already- mostly for the "mean person" comments.

I eat primal-ish- but I would never call it that. But that's how I eat- but not when I'm bulking- I'm all about my oreo's and ice cream while bulking.
  • cainisable
    cainisable Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hi I eat primal, please feel free to add me.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you may end up having lots of folks who are convinced of the 'one true diet' jump on you.

Just remember that paleo & primal aren't magic, calories and your macros still matter. That being said, I eat primal and feel pretty great. If you feel great on a paleo/primal plan then stick with it and ignore any haters.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    i started paleo this past week.... one week, i lost 13 pounds and my blood sugar went from 250 down to 156..im type 2 diabetic.... i feel so much better..... good luck to you