Need some advice

Options
Anyone on here have/had asthma at some point in their lives? I'm finding it hard to breathe after 10 minutes of HIIT and it's slowing my progress down. I'm having to stick to zumba that is a little slower paced and it irks me because I want to start building a little extra muscle to aid me.

My doc took me off of my inhaler years ago and said I didn't need it anymore, but I can clearly tell that I am having problems without it now that I'm working out. It's still a while before I can go see a different doctor so I'm checking here first.

Let me know if you've experienced this and what you did to overcome the issues. I'd like to be able to kick my exercise up a notch or two in intensity.

Replies

• JennaNevada
    JennaNevada Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, and it tends to be set off by allergies as well. Given that the pollen count is sky-high in my area right now, I'm wheezing through workouts. I have a rescue inhaler, and am leaning on it far more than usual. I'm also taking Claritin to see if controlling the allergies will help. I'm working out but at a somewhat slower pace too, at least until the local fauna stops messing with me.

It is possible to have "exercise-induced" asthma symptoms, so if you can I'd see a doctor. Lack of oxygen can throw a big wrench into your weight loss goals.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can only do as much as your body will let you, don'tpush too hard or your performance may start to falter due to too much stress and inability for recovery. Also, HIIT is not a great primary builder of muscle... resistance training will yield far better results, but it has been shown that HIIT may help retain muscle in a caloric deficit. I would check into a few of the women lifter';s groups on here and see what they think if you are wanting to build muscle. Lower the intensity of your cardio doesn't mean it will necesarily be less effective either, especially if you are resistance training. I am getting good results with just 15 mins of HIIT or 20-25 mins of MISS when my legs are too wiped :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Anyone on here have/had asthma at some point in their lives? I'm finding it hard to breathe after 10 minutes of HIIT and it's slowing my progress down. I'm having to stick to zumba that is a little slower paced and it irks me because I want to start building a little extra muscle to aid me.

My doc took me off of my inhaler years ago and said I didn't need it anymore, but I can clearly tell that I am having problems without it now that I'm working out. It's still a while before I can go see a different doctor so I'm checking here first.

Let me know if you've experienced this and what you did to overcome the issues. I'd like to be able to kick my exercise up a notch or two in intensity.

You need to see a doctor and get tested for exercise-induced asthma. It's important to be sure, because you need to find out if you need to be using an inhaler prior to beginning an exercise program to prevent bronchospasm.
  • mistiblake08
    mistiblake08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'll check in those groups, thanks. :)

I'm pretty sure that it's my asthma. It happens to me even in the winter or when it's raining.

I'm going to see my doc in a few more weeks. Gotta catch up on some bills before I have a copay available to me.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I appreciate it.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My only contribution is to mention that the guy who owns my crossfit gym is working his *kitten* off everyday and he's asthmatic and uses an inhaler. .
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options

You need to see a doctor and get tested for exercise-induced asthma. It's important to be sure, because you need to find out if you need to be using an inhaler prior to beginning an exercise program to prevent bronchospasm.

From the sounds of it you probably definitely have exercise induced asthma. You could also be kicking up pollen, dander, and all sorts of microscopic things during your workout that are triggering allergies which could also be causing your small asthma flare ups and bronchospasms. The best thing I can recommend is that after a workout, steam up your bathroom to help reduce the swelling of the bronchioles. Breathe deeply and slowly and if you get overwhelmed step out of the bathroom for a few moments. It helps.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I have severe asthma, I don't go anywhere without my rescue inhaler. When I started I would have to take 2 puffs on the inhaler about 15 minutes before any exercise than another 2 puffs after about 30 minutes of exercise.

Now unless I wake up already wheezing I rarely need the inhaler prior and only sometimes after. But definitely get with your doctor and make sure you have a rescue inhaler at the least.

I also know on high allergy (pollen) days it's probably best I don't attempt to run outside.
  • Crisscreek
    Options
    Generally, if you need to use a rescue inhaler more than 3x/week, your asthma is not under control. The exception is if you need to use it prior to exercise for exercise-induced asthma. Please see your doctor if you are in this situation, as you potentially need a "controller" type medication, usually a steroid inhaler to be used on a regular basis.

Ignoring underlying inflammation in asthma (which is was is going on when symptoms are not controlled) can lead to long term, chronic lung problems.