Elliptical or treadmill at high incline?

Options
Trying to discover which burns more calories? I am skeptical of the calorie monitors at the gym and yet to afford a HRM.

On the elliptical, I usually do intervals of resistance 7 for 4 minutes, then resistance 13 for 1 minute… I typically go for an hour.

However, a friend told me she uses the treadmill for an hour at incline 15, just walking, and burns over 1000 calories.

Is that possible? If so, she's burning about 2x what I am figuring I do on the elliptical!

Replies

• trishaseren
    trishaseren Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I walk on the treadmill on incline 10 for 10 minutes at 5.6 speed and I burn 101 calories in ten minutes, if I did it for an hour the machine says I'd burn over 600 calories so maybe?
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Stair stepper beats them both. You'll want to gouge out your eyeballs before you make it 20 minutes, but your *kitten* will look like it's carved out of marble after a few months!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    It's tough to burn a 1000 calories in an hour. This will depend on how heavy the individual is, speed of the walk and whether or not they hold on. Holding on reduces resistance of the incline from 30%-50%.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Stair stepper beats them both. You'll want to gouge out your eyeballs before you make it 20 minutes, but your *kitten* will look like it's carved out of marble after a few months!
    Hell yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Halziees
    Halziees Posts: 42 Member
    Options

hahah well I know what I'm using from now on then...
  • 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Maybe so, but it's also harder on the knees. The elliptical is def my choice for cardio.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Use whatever you prefer for now and gets your heart rate going real well. I loved the elliptical but have maxed out on it (highest incline and highest resistance can no longer get my HR to cardio zone) but I used it until the bitter end. Now I'm a treadmill or hit the trails person because I have to.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Maybe so, but it's also harder on the knees. The elliptical is def my choice for cardio.

Agree! I also like the ARC TRAINER, specially the Glute workout. Better on my knees and works da butt very good.
  • robertdc50
    Options
    Statistically speaking, the treadmill supposedly burns more calories per hour than the elliptical, according to the research I've seen. I've always found the elliptical to be harder work, but it also feels less controlled to me than the treadmill. Given that I have had both knee and lower back injuries, I find the treadmill to be much gentler on my joints as well. I can't really jog because the high impact is too painful, but I can walk at 4 MPH for 35 to 45 minutes, and based on my heart-rate, am definitely burning a lot of calories. According to my HRM, I burn almost 400 calories in 30 minutes, so I suppose if a person worked hard enough they could approach the 1,000 calories per hour range.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Statistically speaking, the treadmill supposedly burns more calories per hour than the elliptical, according to the research I've seen. I've always found the elliptical to be harder work, but it also feels less controlled to me than the treadmill. Given that I have had both knee and lower back injuries, I find the treadmill to be much gentler on my joints as well. I can't really jog because the high impact is too painful, but I can walk at 4 MPH for 35 to 45 minutes, and based on my heart-rate, am definitely burning a lot of calories. According to my HRM, I burn almost 400 calories in 30 minutes, so I suppose if a person worked hard enough they could approach the 1,000 calories per hour range.

Calories burned is based on absolute intensity of workload and body weight, not exercise modality. A 100 kg individual working at 8 METs will burn approximately 800 calories per hour. It doesn't make a difference whether one is on a treadmill, elliptical, stair master, etc.

A couple of studies have been done in which subjects self-selected the workload based on an assigned level of perceived exertion. In the one study I am most familiar with, at the assigned rate of perceived exertion, those on the treadmill (running not walking BTW) burned the highest number of calories. However, that was not due to any inherent quality of the treadmill-- people chose higher workloads running on the treadmill. The only real conclusion was that, for moderately experienced exercisers, treadmill running felt less difficult that other modalities, so, without any other feedback, people tended to work harder. A lot of that is due to feelings of localized muscle fatigue with more "quad-centric" exercises like cycling or stair climbing.

If one trains at a particular modality and builds up the appropriate muscle endurance, there is no reason why one cannot achieve equal calorie burns on different pieces of equipment. If the oxygen-uptake is the same, it is physiologically impossible for one cardio machine to burn more calories than another.

If you are walking on level, and walking at 4.0 mph, you would need to weigh well over 400 lbs to burn 400 calories in 30 min. If you are walking at the appropriate incline, then it is quite possible to burn that much at half the weight.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Treadmill with max incline. If you have a stairmatster, hop on that. Way more intense!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about his last week. If I can find it, I'll post the link. If I remember correctly, the treadmill and the elliptical burn about the same number of calories. The treadmill works the calves more. The elliptical gets the gluts and hamstrings. The elliptical may be harder on people with bad backs. But if the purpose is mainly cardio, it's mostly personal preference.
  • robertdc50
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I walk at an 8% incline. I started at 5 and am working my way up to max, which I believe is 12% on the machine I use. Every week it takes longer to get my HR into the fat burning zone, so I try to increase the incline and speed appropriately to increase my exertion level. Thanks too for the technical explanation. Being a long-term geek, I enjoy scientific explanations of every day phenomenon.