InBody Analysis

Options
Does anyone know how accurate the in body scales are? I'm participating in a 10 week fitness challenge. I've been faithful to the diet and I'm going to the boot camps at least 4 times/week. When I can't make it, I work out for 30 minutes on my elliptical at home.

Anyway, according to their inbody scale, I've lost 10lbs of fat and gained 3 lbs of muscle in 4 weeks. However, according to my scale, I've lost 4 lbs and I'm stuck there.

I'm not sure which to trust. I do notice some difference in the way my clothes fit etc... So, that's encouraging but the number on my scale is frustrating me!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this??

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I'm doubtful of the 3 lb of muscle in that short of time, I'm not familiar with that type of scale tho
  • smaxw7
    smaxw7 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yeah, even the guy at the gym said that was probably off, which makes me wonder how much I can trust their analysis.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's a bioimpedance machine so they can be pretty off. Hydration levels alone can affect results. And there is zero chance of a women putting on 3 lbs of muscle in that short period of time, let alone doing it in a deficit.
  • smaxw7
    Options
    So. what's the best way to analyze my progress? Should I be concerned that my scale reflects no loss and adjust my calories etc... OR should I just go with their analysis that I am displacing weight and not worry as much about the number on my scale?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    So. what's the best way to analyze my progress? Should I be concerned that my scale reflects no loss and adjust my calories etc... OR should I just go with their analysis that I am displacing weight and not worry as much about the number on my scale?

If you want to know body composition, hydro static is the most accurate followed by DEXA and body fat calipers. Otherwise, you can measure by weight (your personal scale that you can use at the same time in the same attire daily), tape measure, pictures, clothing and performance gains with exercise.
  • smaxw7
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to get out the tape measurer. I probably should have done that in the beginning!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I thought your scale showed a 4 lb loss?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know how accurate the in body scales are? I'm participating in a 10 week fitness challenge. I've been faithful to the diet and I'm going to the boot camps at least 4 times/week. When I can't make it, I work out for 30 minutes on my elliptical at home.

Anyway, according to their inbody scale, I've lost 10lbs of fat and gained 3 lbs of muscle in 4 weeks. However, according to my scale, I've lost 4 lbs and I'm stuck there.

I'm not sure which to trust. I do notice some difference in the way my clothes fit etc... So, that's encouraging but the number on my scale is frustrating me!

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this??

If you are eating at a deficit, which you are, you have not gained muscle. In fact, you can't gain 3 pounds of muscle that quickly.

Is this fitness challenge, including scale use, something you are paying for? If so, you're being had. If not, that scan is a hoax.

Either way, it's inaccurate.
  • smaxw7
    Options
    My scale did show a 4 lb loss but I've been stuck there for a couple of weeks. I did some research on the InBody machine. It's not a hoax, as suggested, it's a legitimate tool that's used in gyms and doctor's offices. However, it's not 100% accurate and hydration levels can affect the outcomes. So, it's likely that I have displaced some weight as the fitness instructor said, just not as much as the scale suggests.

I started a fairly intense workout routine including weights and body weight exercises after only doing light cardio in the past. So, some muscle gain is reasonable to assume but not that much.

It's discouraging not seeing the scale move, but my clothes are looser and people have noticed a change, so I'm going to keep going and not rely on my scale so much. I'll take some measurements week to week and base my progress on that.

I am paying for the program that I am doing, which includes the InBody weigh ins, but that is just a small part of it. It includes a custom diet and daily circuit training classes. So far, I am happy with that and the fact that I am paying for it keeps me motivated!

Thanks for all the input :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    My scale did show a 4 lb loss but I've been stuck there for a couple of weeks. I did some research on the InBody machine. It's not a hoax, as suggested, it's a legitimate tool that's used in gyms and doctor's offices. However, it's not 100% accurate and hydration levels can affect the outcomes. So, it's likely that I have displaced some weight as the fitness instructor said, just not as much as the scale suggests.

I started a fairly intense workout routine including weights and body weight exercises after only doing light cardio in the past. So, some muscle gain is reasonable to assume but not that much.

It's discouraging not seeing the scale move, but my clothes are looser and people have noticed a change, so I'm going to keep going and not rely on my scale so much. I'll take some measurements week to week and base my progress on that.

I am paying for the program that I am doing, which includes the InBody weigh ins, but that is just a small part of it. It includes a custom diet and daily circuit training classes. So far, I am happy with that and the fact that I am paying for it keeps me motivated!

Thanks for all the input :)

Keep in mind, no one said it was a hoax... we said it can be inaccurate. Second, when you first start an intense workout, you are going to hold onto water to repair your muscle. Muscle fibers break down during exercise and to repair them, fluids are required. So it's not uncommon for the scale to not move. Second, if you only lose 4lbs during thewhole 10 weeks, then we have to evaluate the amount of food you are eating and the accuracy/consistency of your logging and tracking. For example, do you use a food scale? Do you weigh, measure and track all your foods? What is the composition of your macronutrients? Have you been carb loading because more carbs = more glycogen/water storage.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, no one said it was a hoax..

I suggested it could be a hoax, but I am a big skeptic.
    It's not a hoax, as suggested, it's a legitimate tool that's used in gyms and doctor's offices. However, it's not 100% accurate and hydration levels can affect the outcomes. So, it's likely that I have displaced some weight as the fitness instructor said, just not as much as the scale suggests.

Thank you for clarifying that. It's okay to ignore the skeptic (me). :bigsmile:
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Keep in mind, no one said it was a hoax..

I suggested it could be a hoax, but I am a big skeptic.
    It's not a hoax, as suggested, it's a legitimate tool that's used in gyms and doctor's offices. However, it's not 100% accurate and hydration levels can affect the outcomes. So, it's likely that I have displaced some weight as the fitness instructor said, just not as much as the scale suggests.

Thank you for clarifying that. It's okay to ignore the skeptic (me). :bigsmile:

oh, I missed that. :laugh:
  • smaxw7
    Options
    I'm new to this, so when you say "macronutrients," do you mean carbs, fats, and protein? In that case, I'm not carb loading. I'm eating WAY less carbs than usual and more protein. I don't weigh my foods yet, but I do count each piece (ex almonds, carrots etc..) and I try to overestimate on guesses rather than underestimate. I'm confident I'm eating at a deficit. How much of a deficit is what I am uncertain of.

I'm almost positive MFP and my elliptical overestimate calories burned, but I record them that way anyway. I don't eat my workout calories. I'm 5'7' 200lbs and eating 1600 calories/day before workouts.

Yes, I'm guessing water retention is partly to blame for the lack of loss for the last couple weeks. The workout is intense and I am often sore, so that seems reasonable. Its totally different from anything I've done before.

I guess I just want to know EXACTLY what is going on! Measuring is probably the best way to know.

YES, If I only lose 4 lbs in 10 weeks, I will definitely need to re-evaluate what I am eating!!
  • smaxw7
    Options
    I'm a skeptic too, so I totally understand!!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm new to this, so when you say "macronutrients," do you mean carbs, fats, and protein? In that case, I'm not carb loading. I'm eating WAY less carbs than usual and more protein. I don't weigh my foods yet, but I do count each piece (ex almonds, carrots etc..) and I try to overestimate on guesses rather than underestimate. I'm confident I'm eating at a deficit. How much of a deficit is what I am uncertain of.

I'm almost positive MFP and my elliptical overestimate calories burned, but I record them that way anyway. I don't eat my workout calories. I'm 5'7' 200lbs and eating 1600 calories/day before workouts.

Yes, I'm guessing water retention is partly to blame for the lack of loss for the last couple weeks. The workout is intense and I am often sore, so that seems reasonable. Its totally different from anything I've done before.

I guess I just want to know EXACTLY what is going on! Measuring is probably the best way to know.

YES, If I only lose 4 lbs in 10 weeks, I will definitely need to re-evaluate what I am eating!!

If you are weighing your foods, i can guarantee you that you are under estimating calories. Pick up a food scale to ensure accuracy and stay consistent. And yes, macro = carbs, fats, protein. Essentially, you were eating about 200 calories under your true TDEE or maintenance calories. The average person under estimates calories by about 200-400 calories. So if averaged "1600", then most likely you were around 1800-2000 calories per day and your TDEE would be around 2200 calories. Do yourself a favor and spend $20 on a food scale and log 1600 calories for 1 month. From there we can figure out your true maintenance calories.