Seeking advice - Wrinkly Skin in my early 20's

Options
Hey, I've lost a ton of weight over the last several years (105 lbs) and recently, even though I'm losing at a rate about a lb a week, my tummy and underarms have become really wrinkly all of a sudden. Like a sharpei. I'm only 23 and people keep telling me "Oh, it will go away on its own," or to lather up with lotion and scape my skin with steel wool...or have surgery?

I just want to know from other 20-somethings who've had to deal with this problem and what you did. I'm never having surgery, so that's off the table. The reason I'm asking on MFP is that every time I google it, the questions and answers are always from people in their 30's and 40's, or people who are post-baby (I've never been pregnant). I'd like to know if I should even do anything in my age range, or what's worked for others in my situation. Scraping my skin with steel wool also doesn't sound like much fun.

I also have 15-20 more lbs to go. I'm 5'5.5" and 155lbs. And I do lift as well as do cardio, though I'm transitioning more into lifting heavily with smaller amounts of cardio.

Replies

• RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Bump~
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Bump :c
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    With the amount of weight you've lost, it's natural to experience some loose skin. You're young, so there's a good chance that it'll tighten up over time. Stay hydrated, moisturize, and keep doing your heavy lifting routine. All of those things should help.
  • sunshine1082
    sunshine1082 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    And I've never heard of scraping off skin with steel wool. That sounds painful. Why not just use a loofah to exfoliate?
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    And I've never heard of scraping off skin with steel wool. That sounds painful. Why not just use a loofah to exfoliate?

One of my friends told me that's what she did. I just balked.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stay hydrated and use a good lotion, and give it time. And remember that you are far healthier now that before you lost that 100+ pounds (good job on that!) even if it does mean more loose skin for a while.

Also, love your user name!!
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Oh and great job on the weight loss!
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Stay out of the sun like your life depends on it (because it does). Also, it's miraculous what can be done with lasers these days. Consider a consult with an aesthetician specializing in laser therapies.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm just tired of being embarrassed all the time. :c I'll use lotion and if I could ever afford an aesthetician I'll look into it.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It's far better and easier to hide excess skin than excess fat. :wink:

You're young. Give it some time. The skin may be less wrinkly in a few months time. If all else fails and you still hate the look, you can always consult a plastic surgeon just to find out what your options are.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am never scrapping my skin with steel wool, that just sounds horrible!!

I lost 50lbs and have stretch marks, but not too much lose skin so can't speak from experience there. However I would just recommend focusing on your goals right now and how much you have accomplished! :) We will always find parts of our body we dislike, but try to focus on those you do like :)
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    Here's an image of what's going on...

I just don't know if this is normal it seems like it happened overnight. In the 80 or so lbs I've lost before I've never had wrinkles.

1zdma2b.jpg
  • LoveInnocent
    LoveInnocent Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here's an image of what's going on...

I just don't know if this is normal it seems like it happened overnight. In the 80 or so lbs I've lost before I've never had wrinkles.

1zdma2b.jpg

I feel like I am looking at a future mirror if I reach my goal, but honestly, I think be proud of it, your stomach looking a bit wrinkly means you've lost, you struggled and conquered. but yeah I suggest working out, watch the food your eating more than ever too because that can affect your skin and the elasticity stay a way from the 'white' goods like white rice, noodles, starchy potatoes etc. But yeah moisturize and exfoliate, maybe try one of those tummy firming creams there are some out there people swear by and that's a lot cheaper than surgery.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I'm 30, and I've lost 65 lbs and had a baby in between my highest weight and now. I have loose skin on my underarms, inner thighs, and my belly. It has improved substantially in the last few months though.

Give it time and try not to worry about it. You're healthier and fitter than you were 105 lbs ago. Focus on that.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I'm 30, and I've lost 65 lbs and had a baby in between my highest weight and now. I have loose skin on my underarms, inner thighs, and my belly. It has improved substantially in the last few months though.

Give it time and try not to worry about it. You're healthier and fitter than you were 105 lbs ago. Focus on that.

I'll be trying, Captain Janeway.
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, except i have 50 kg (110 lbs) more to lose and i feel like i shouldnt even bother if the lose wrinkly skin just gets worse, its making me not even want to lose more weight :(
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem, except i have 50 kg (110 lbs) more to lose and i feel like i shouldnt even bother if the lose wrinkly skin just gets worse, its making me not even want to lose more weight :(

I'll take my loose skin over being obese any day.

It's worth it even if you're imperfect in the end!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    105lbs is amazing, You have done so well!!!

I don't think your picture even looks bad, I think with a good prescribed cream from your doctor it will clean up. Also do some good core exercises to tighten up them lower stomach muscles.

You have done so well & should be so proud of yourself!

Well done!

My sister has stretch marks and she brought this derma roller thing with oil, and it has very thin needles you roll over the areas, which creates a small hole, then the oil gets into the skin.. Maybe look into that?
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    105lbs is amazing, You have done so well!!!

I don't think your picture even looks bad, I think with a good prescribed cream from your doctor it will clean up. Also do some good core exercises to tighten up them lower stomach muscles.

You have done so well & should be so proud of yourself!

Well done!

My sister has stretch marks and she brought this derma roller thing with oil, and it has very thin needles you roll over the areas, which creates a small hole, then the oil gets into the skin.. Maybe look into that?

I might look into it for the roller thing for my stretch mark areas. I don't have many but I'll probably have more when I lose more. My aunt gave my something yesterday that's a little doo-dad that sends electric pulses (you barely feel anything) on your wrinkly parts. She lots of ton of weight in her fifties and she said even though all her bits didn't disappear, the little machine helped them shrink faster. That part under her neck, which isn't a problem area for me, looks really good on her now and her face isn't as wrinkly as it used to be after her loss, so maybe it will help my belly.

I'm going to try that and see how it looks. I was feeling so much more body-conscious than usual last night when I posted. I have bad days and over react to little things.