Starvation mode

Options
Just started with MFP and when finished for the day I got the message that I was not taking in enough calories and I was going to have a hard time losing weight because of starvation mode. Isn't weight loss based on calories in vs calories out? Am I supposed to eat the total calories suggested plus the amount I burn from exercise?

Replies

• abaumann123
    Options
    It tells me that too. I just ignore it. You do not need to eat back your calories. From previous posts I've seen some people do and some people don't. I don't because I don't know how accurate the calories are that it says I've burned. It took my body a while to adapt to the healthier food I was eating and react by dropping some pounds, but it did happen and it will happen to you as well. Hang in there.
  • ednaroberts1978
    ednaroberts1978 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat all of the calories suggested but you do need to eat at least 1200 calories a day, unless of course, you and your doctor have discussed a lower calorie diet. Based on the information that you gave when you set up MFP, it will have you eating at a calorie deficit so if you do hit the suggested goal amounts you're still OK. I hope that helps. Good Luck!
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Just ignore it, I get that message all the time but I know I am eating healthy and I am full of energy. Your body will soon tell you if its not getting enough food
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, this in my opinion disproves "Starvation mode".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

That said long term starvation can have some pretty negative effects.