To all of you beautiful beginners-

Hi there. My name is Joseph. I'm a senior in college, majoring in sociology. I also perform standup comedy. I really like to learn stuff.

I know it's really difficult to get started. I was in a cycle of "I'll start next Monday..." for *years*. Well, today is my 28th day of logging and I've already lost over ten pounds. I already feel better, look better and sleep better than I ever have before- and I'm not even halfway to my goal!

I also know how difficult it is to do this alone. My friends on MFP have motivated me to succeed every single day. I love receiving feedback on my posts and diaries and I love to do the same for them as well. It's impossible to quantify how helpful that has been.

So, here you are and here I am. I want to be here to help kickstart you on your new life. Do you need to rant or vent? Message me. Do you need advice for food (I'm a broke college student so I've done plenty of research on cheap, good food)? I have that too. Or I can just be here to be your biggest cheerleader. It's up to you.

Today's the day. Let's seize the **** out of it.

Feel more than free to add me. Include a message in the friend request about your goals and any questions you may have about starting out. I'll be here, I promise.

Replies

• Me2FitMe
    Me2FitMe Posts: 1,285 Member
    Well I don't meet either qualification... I'm out ;)
  • majorumpalumpa
    majorumpalumpa Posts: 6 Member
    Always love new food ideas. Any suggestions you have would be great.
  • I like your post, it's so nice. I'm a Sociology major too. I've never added anyone on here.. I'm trying to figure it out. Be patient!
    You had me at "someone to vent to". :flowerforyou:
  • hugrekki
    hugrekki Posts: 40
    Always love new food ideas. Any suggestions you have would be great.

What kind of diet are you working with? Mine is high-protein, so most of my food choices are geared towards getting as much protein as possible.
    I like your post, it's so nice. I'm a Sociology major too. I've never added anyone on here.. I'm trying to figure it out. Be patient!
    You had me at "someone to vent to". :flowerforyou:

Three cheers for sociology! Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! And more hoorays! Sociology is awesome and so are you (and everyone else, for that matter).
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    My body likes higher protein too - what are you eating?
  • hugrekki
    My body likes higher protein too - what are you eating?

A whole lot of chicken and lean ground beef! My breakfast tends to be the highest percentage of protein in my day, it's an egg white omelet with chicken and shredded mozzarella cheese on top. It's >60g of protein, along with 24g of protein in my protein shake (which I'll typically have two of each day).

As far as eating out goes, Chipotle is wonderful. Burrito bowl with double chicken is loaded with protein.

The goal is to make each meal based around a protein. In order to retain muscle while losing weight, people believe you should eat 1g of protein for each pound of lean body mass (basically your goal weight), which makes my goal 218g for now. You can check out my food diary to see specific things I eat.
  • hugrekki
    I'm still open for requests. :glasses:
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    I'm beautiful but not a beginner. I guess I don't qualify :sad:
  • hugrekki

Fortunately for you and everyone else, everyone qualifies! I just geared this towards beginners who need a bit of extra push. :happy:
  • Forty6and2

Fortunately for you and everyone else, everyone qualifies! I just geared this towards beginners who need a bit of extra push. :happy:

Lol, I've been here for a little over two years. I just suck at staying on track.

Edit: I don't really suck at staying on track. I just suck at keeping my stress eating under control at times.
  • hugrekki
    Lol, I've been here for a little over two years. I just suck at staying on track.

Edit: I don't really suck at staying on track. I just suck at keeping my stress eating under control at times.

My entire life used to be dictated by stress eating. It's a very difficult cycle to break out of!
  • rheeneek
    rheeneek Posts: 13 Member
    Super stress eater over here too.
  • Forty6and2

Whoo! ...not really... it sucks.
  • hugrekki

Stress has helped me eat entire pizzas in a single bound. Stress is a mean friend.
  • Sheilav99
    Sheilav99 Posts: 4 Member

My entire life used to be dictated by stress eating. It's a very difficult cycle to break out of!

Yes, it certainly is! I am very slowly getting better at recognizing when I get the urge to snack just because I'm stressed.

And Hi! I've been on here about a month and a half (although it's my 2nd time around)
  • Forty6and2

Yes, it certainly is! I am very slowly getting better at recognizing when I get the urge to snack just because I'm stressed.

And Hi! I've been on here about a month and a half (although it's my 2nd time around)

I really have to think about what I eat first when I know I'm stressed and do something to take my mind off eating.
  • hickorycutie
    hickorycutie Posts: 210 Member
    <~~~~ compulsive eater!!!!!!
  • hugrekki
    I really have to think about what I eat first when I know I'm stressed and do something to take my mind off eating.

I plan my day out beforehand (snacks and all), which helps cut down on unexpected stress eating. It basically eliminated the problem for me.