It's MORE than weight loss!

Options
lyzmorrison
lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
So, a few months ago I reached my goal (from 166lbs/size 14, but really a 16 but squeezing into a 14, to 133 lbs/size 6 and can sometimes SQUEEZE into a 4). I never ever thought I could do it, but I did! The secret.....HARD WORK and COMMITMENT. Once I started MFP, I stuck to my calorie goal. Once I started exercising, I kept at it and started challenging myself. And the more I challenged myself, the more I lost. The more challenges I met, the more excited I became. It became less about losing weight (though that was super important) and more about meeting the next self-imposed challenge. I learned that my hatred of exercise was what I "told" myself and that actually, once I started feeling successful in my attempts to do things I hated, the less I hated them. I don't really hate running. I don't really hate sweating. Who knew??

Now, here's what I really want to say....to all of the folks on MFP who ask for motivation and for reasons to continue on this admittedly difficult journey.....look in the mirror! Be your own motivation! Do you know how FREEING it is to know that you can do things you never thought you could do???? I've now run several 5Ks, have my 2nd 10K next weekend, and am running a 15K trail run in June. I'll run a half marathon sometime this Fall. Who knew I could do this?????? But here's the real kicker....this past weekend I went rock wall climbing with my daughter. EEK! I have never ever ever done something like that before! I never thought I wanted to. I never thought I could. It would never have occurred to me that I would be able to get my butt up that wall and ring that damn bell. BUT I DID!!!!! And my daughter said to me, "Mom, you never would have done this before you started running! You are a lot more confident now."

This isn't about weight loss. It's about being a better you! It's about proving to yourself that you can do the difficult. You can meet the challenges you set for yourself. You are your own motivation. Losing weight is HAAARD. No doubt about it. But you can do it, if you are willing to work hard and commit. Running is hard. But you can do it if you are willing to work hard and commit. Same with swimming or dance or unicycling. Whatever. You can do ANYTHING if you are willing to work hard and commit.

This is about freedom. Freedom from the burden of thinking "I can't". Freedom from watching from the sidelines. Freedom from the anxiety of shopping.

To those of you who want to give up because it's hard....DON'T! Just want it more. Want it so badly that you are willing to sweat, to say "no" to foods you want to say yes to. To say "yes" to exercise you want to say no to. YOU.CAN.DO.IT!

Me before: before2_zps52d3a9a8.jpg

Me at 5K last weekend: 10169283_10152300494310932_8869181208246210213_n_zpsef627365.jpg

Me scaling rock wall:
1545067_10152298719090932_7563652310971262922_n_zps4edbf7cb.jpg

MADE IT!
1609805_10152298728960932_7454413226010920596_n_zpse453f627.jpg

Replies

• bassclef19
    bassclef19 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    You look great, nice work!
  • kwmarissa
    kwmarissa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that your legs look freaking awesome!! Seriously, amazing job not everyone can embrace this lifestyle like you have (: Congratulations!!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Awesome, awesome post and transformation!
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Awesome transformation! I'm nearly at your starting picture (I think - I hope...), and you're dead right - I'm a lot different now to what I was 9 months ago. I looks forward to exercising, I can stand on one foot and I'm always thinking about what I can do now, rather than what I might do if I were younger/fitter/slimmer/more awesome.

It's rather freeing!
  • tannadine
    tannadine Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Wow, great progress! You've got amazing muscle definition in your legs! :)
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You must have read my mind. Today I took a pic...though the scale has shown only non-movemtn for months and months. I keep improving. I keep doing things Ive never done. I feel better, I look better, I am healthier now than i have EVER been in my entire life.

I was thinking about one thing I would tell a person who is me when I started...and I would tell them to never get a scale, to always push yourself, eat within your calories and just move. Do things you have never done. The # will just take you on an emotional roller coaster.

I thank you for posting this. You said everything Ive ever wanted to say. :)

Your story makes me feel excited of how far Ive come.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, as someone who is just starting (after a couple failures). This is the exact kind of thing I like to read to encourage me to keep going!
  • debbiedoeshealth
    debbiedoeshealth Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great post and great work. I can't wait to take back control of my body. To be responsible for its strength instead of its weakness.
  • lyzmorrison
    Options
    Thanks ya'll!!! And tonight...tonight I ran 13+ miles! I ran my very own half marathon!!!! Who in the world ever EVER thought that I, former couch potato and oreo addict, could possible run 13 miles???? NO ONE! Not one single solitary person. Not. even me. Now, to be honest I utilize the Jeff Galloway method and run 3 minutes and walk 1 minute, but hey I'm 49 years old and don't want to break down before I get started. That method works for me. Works so well that, have I mentioned, ran 13+ miles tonight!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously....don't stop. DO.NOT.STOP. You got this. It's hard. So what. You can do what's hard.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    AWESOME loss! You look great!!
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Great message and wonderful loss!

You are awesome inside and out!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Amazing accomplishments ........ thanks for sharing your story .......

"Don't get tired ..... get inspired" ...... you, my dear, are an inspiration :drinker:
  • Sheilav99
    Sheilav99 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Very well said! And an BIG congrats on your accomplishments!!
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the accomplishments! Love your story!
  • BrendaS03
    BrendaS03 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Amazing! and so inspirational :) Kudos!
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I love it!!! You have made amazing progress! I love your confidence and readiness to take on new challenges!!! Keep being Awesome! :)
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Great inspiring words and pics! I think so many people are willing to settle for less than their ultimate goals just because they don't truly believe that they CAN achieve them, but you are living proof that it is possible! I keep telling myself I will be fine if i get even within 10 pounds of my goal weight, but why shouldn't I go for it - all the way?
    Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on your success!
  • lyzmorrison
    Options
    Ahhhh dang! THANKS YA'LL!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mommy23js
    Mommy23js Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You are SOOOO right!! Great work! Great post!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!