I can't understand why I'm not losing weight?

Options
So, my diet is healthy and mostly not-processed. I'm 20y/o, 134lbs, 5'5, and eat about 1200cals a day. I do have insulin resistance and PCOS. (maybe had? not sure.) In a day I usually eat eggs and whole wheat fiber bread thins, lunch is chicken, broccoli, peppers, dinner is chicken, tomato sauce, and low fat parm cheese, more or less. For snacks I eat mainly fruit: blueberries(most common snack), apples, cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries, and dark chocolate. I only ever drink water or tea. I don't know where i'm going wrong. I don't exercise as much as I should, usually only twice a week, however I was under the impression that weight loss happens in the kitchen. Any suggestions? Advice? Thanks.

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open. If you want more specific advice, you need to log meticulously, weight your food, and be open to allowing others to examine what you are eating. I see the words "about" and "more or less." Those are danger signs of inaccurate accounting of your food.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not open. If you want more specific advice, you need to log meticulously, weight your food, and be open to allowing others to examine what you are eating. I see the words "about" and "more or less." Those are danger signs of inaccurate accounting of your food.
    ^This.

You lose weight by eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You're at a reasonable weight for your height. How much are you trying to lose? Are you sure you need to lose, and not tone?
  • AndreaFitness
    AndreaFitness Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I opened it up, however I don't fill it out to completion usually.
  • AndreaFitness
    Options
    You're at a reasonable weight for your height. How much are you trying to lose? Are you sure you need to lose, and not tone?

Yeah, i'm sure. I do need toning but I felt much healthier at a lower weight. And I need to stay at optimal fitness to help the insulin resistance (in the long run). Thanks though!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I opened it up, however I don't fill it out to completion usually.
    There's your problem right there. Logging works.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know your goal - but you can't have too much to lose. Perhaps no more than 10-15? At anything near that your goal should be set probably for .5 pounds per week. If you're not terribly active sedentary is reasonable - but you should have a higher calorie intake than 1200 per day. Your body works better when its getting enough fuel & nutrition. Perhaps take the next 4-5 weeks, revise your goal for a higher calorie range and work on also increasing your activity. Set reasonable goals. Perhaps a few extra 15 minute walks each week.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar boat with the "more or less" logging and was not losing. I thought I was good at estimating portions but I was wrong. I started using a food scale and finally started losing some weight. Food scale is key and you have to log vigilantly. It can be tedious but it really works. Good luck!
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Are you not logging all your food? If you are, I don't know how you can eat that little and not wanna kill someone. lol I had a crazy hard time trying to lose weight with a 1200 cal diet, and am happier at 1660.

Since you don't have that much to lose, it may be harder to drop a few pounds quickly so you may need to just take time and try not to rush it.
  • AndreaFitness
    Options
    I was in a similar boat with the "more or less" logging and was not losing. I thought I was good at estimating portions but I was wrong. I started using a food scale and finally started losing some weight. Food scale is key and you have to log vigilantly. It can be tedious but it really works. Good luck!

I think I will get one. Sometimes I'm not too sure how much chicken I'm eating, etc. Thanks.
  • AndreaFitness
    Options
    Are you not logging all your food? If you are, I don't know how you can eat that little and not wanna kill someone. lol I had a crazy hard time trying to lose weight with a 1200 cal diet, and am happier at 1660.

Since you don't have that much to lose, it may be harder to drop a few pounds quickly so you may need to just take time and try not to rush it.

Yeah, it gets hard eating only 1200, but I'm trying to be determined since that's what my doctor suggested. I'm trying at this point to lose a pound a week, maybe .5 a week.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Heya.
    as has been suggested:

1) Get the food scales.
    2) Log everything.
    3) Change your loss expectations.

and I will add:

4) Give it a little time. You body needs to adjust to all this fussing about with it.

Good luck.