Juke Box

Options
TheRoadDog
TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
Anyone here old enough to remember going to the local soda shop after school? Had a place right by my school. Munchyburgers. Hamburgers and Sodas for 12 cents each. Fries were 16 cents. But...you always made sure you had enough change for the Juke Box. For a quarter you could play three songs. I usally picked White Room by Cream, Honky Tonk Woman by the Rolling Stones and Fire by Jimi Hendrix.

When I see kids "hanging out" now, they're around a table at a Starbucks or something, half listening to each other while they text. If they want to hear music they plug in their iPod.

Yep. I'm gonna age myself here. I miss the "good old days."

Replies

• BigBellyGoAway
    BigBellyGoAway Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I miss the diners that had the 'mini' juke boxes right at the table.
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

When I was in Japan in 1974, I used to frequent a local bar. They only had 3 American songs on the jukebox amidst all the Japanese music. Use to play them everytime I was there. About 100 yen. "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" by George Harrison. "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter and the theme song from Hawaii Five-O.
  • BigBellyGoAway
    BigBellyGoAway Posts: 781 Member
    Options

When I was in Japan in 1974, I used to frequent a local bar. They only had 3 American songs on the jukebox amidst all the Japanese music. Use to play them everytime I was there. About 100 yen. "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" by George Harrison. "Frankenstein" by Edgar Winter and the theme song from Hawaii Five-O.

Did the locals sing along in English? Well, to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" that is. When I was in the Navy in the late 80's/early 90's, I used to find it humorous that the people in far away lands, who couldn't speak a lick of English, would sing along with the songs in English. Funniest one was at a club in Rome where half the Italians in there were singing, "Born In The U.S.A." at the top of their lungs.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    When I was in college the bar we hung out at the best juke box going. Dylan, CSN, Sam Cooke, The Guess Who and a ton of others. We drank beer, ate pretzel rods and played pinball as the tunes cranked. God help the person who didn’t play both sides of “American Pie”; as the booing started immediately. Fantastic memories!
  • TheRoadDog
    Options

Did the locals sing along in English? Well, to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" that is. When I was in the Navy in the late 80's/early 90's, I used to find it humorous that the people in far away lands, who couldn't speak a lick of English, would sing along with the songs in English. Funniest one was at a club in Rome where half the Italians in there were singing, "Born In The U.S.A." at the top of their lungs.

No, they were mostly annoyed that we didn't hang out where the other Marines hung out.

There was a place in Okinawa, however, that had a bar at the end of Gate 2 street. They had a band that covered American songs. They could do Jimi Hendrix perfectly, yet they could not speak English.
  • tlangenfeld
    tlangenfeld Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    last time I saw the little mini jukeboxes was at a diner in Sheridan WY it been about 5 years ago so don't know if the diner is still there
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    At a cantina in Mexico, I was being serenaded and the guy asked me what I wanted them to play. I said, "I don't know, how about some Santana?" They nodded their head and started playing CCR "Rolling Down the River." Except it was more like "Rolling down the Reeever." Hilarious (especially after a couple margaritas).
  • levicrouch
    Options
    My dad had a juke box at the house when i was a kid.

Weekend mornings we would wake up to 50's\60's\Motown\Country.

I had 2 songs I would play all the time: "Sixteen Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford and "Sukiyaki" by Kyu Sakamoto.

My brother would play "Just a Gigolo" by David Lee Roth.

Had a 'win' last night. This Heineken commercial played (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2opIHgLueLM), and my daughter, (13) recognized the beat as the song 16 Tons.

Good times!
  • TheRoadDog
    Options
    Sixteen Tons. What a great song. We grew up on Tennessee Ernie Ford and Roger Miller.
  • kikstand
    kikstand Posts: 36 Member
    Options

No, they were mostly annoyed that we didn't hang out where the other Marines hung out.

There was a place in Okinawa, however, that had a bar at the end of Gate 2 street. They had a band that covered American songs. They could do Jimi Hendrix perfectly, yet they could not speak English.

I can relate to this post! Gate 2 outside of Kadena saw me staggering around in the middle of a many night!
    I used to just walk into the hole in the wall bars like that too. Got in a couple of scuffles with the drunk elders a few times but most of the clientele would keep them away from me knowing it wouldn't be good for the furniture I suppose.
    Had a bar in Pohang, Korea where the dj box was always empty and the girls would go in there and change records when the music stopped, so I started plundering through their vinyl one night and they adopted me as "DeeJay". What a HUGE selection of classic vinyl they had there! For about a month there was the same SSGT bringing me beers and demanding I play 'On The Dark Side' from the Eddie and the Cruisers soundtrack. Marines would stagger up and yell, "Play something different Dammit!" because the Staff kept me in beer. Good memories!