Weight remains the same

Options
I'm a 28 yearl old male, 5'7" and weigh 161 lbs. I work out out twice a day doing cardio for 120 minutes total. I do various weights after each 60 minutes of cardio. I do this 5 days a week and then work out for 60 minutes over the weekend (Saturday or Sunday). I eat between 1200-1500 calories each day. I burn between 1200-1800 total depending on my energy level at the gym that day. My problem is that I seem to be staying at the same weight? I've been at roughy the same weight for 3 weeks? I eat a lot of fruit and vegetable for my vitamins and minerals. I also eat a lot of lean meats and poultry for my protein. I don't think I'm lifting enough weights each day to be increasing my muscle mass that quickly to keep up with what should be a drop in weight?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Really???

Think you need to eat.. Hours in the gym isn't going to get you anywhere if you don't eat correctly.. like 2000 more calories.
  • NIKIATWORK
    NIKIATWORK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That sounds a lot like what I'm going through right now, I've plateaued for the last 4 months, even after doubling my workouts to 2 hrs a day for the last month.... and.... nothing.
  • karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Are you logging and weighing all your food on a food scale before eating it?

If so, you're eating 1200-1500 calories and burn 1200-1800...soooo you're netting 0 to (-300) calories to fuel your body/organs...

OR you're eating way more than you think if you're not weighing all your food.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more so your body isn't clinging onto every calorie for dear life. I don't lose weight when I eat that little. When I up the calories I lose.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    With burning that many calories... you definately need to be eating more. I wasn't losing either when I was eating 1500cals and spending 2hrs/day in the gym. Now, I left 20min/day 3x/week and go for a 20min walk everyday... still eating 1500cal... and losing. Either work out less or eat more. You're burning the candle at both ends and your body needs fuel!
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel like you need to lose weight at 160 pounds for a 28 year old male at 5'7"? Seems ideal to me Why are you working so hard?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Just weight loss? Fat loss? Body recomp/build muscle?

I agree with those saying you aren't eating enough - I'm a 45 year old chick and I eat more than you do. :tongue:

Is your exercise all cardio? Any weights/strength/resistance training in there? Undereating and overtraining can cause you all sorts of problems, beyond just not seeing results or a stall in weight loss. You're doing a lot of exercise and giving your body very little fuel to function with.
  • mtotty
    mtotty Posts: 2
    Options
    I have maybe 8 pounds that I'd like to lose. I would've thought that I've been consuming enough calories. I eat when I'm hungry. I just avoid foods high in sugar/fat content. I always have plenty of energy for my second workout as long as I sleep good the night before.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    What you are describing is excercise bulimia. Even if its not intentional, that's what it amounts to.
    I'd suggest working with a personal trainer and nutritionist at this point, you are setting yourself up for some severe metabolic and endocrine damage if you continue on this way.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    The minimum amount of calories a young man should be eating is 1800. With your activity you should probably be eating a lot more.