VENT . . work refrigerator/freezer thieves!

Options

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Word of advice- never, ever, ever do the laxative thing. You can cause serious damage to someone if they're on certain meds or have a medical condition and you would be charged with assault in that case. It's happened before.

wait a sec that doesn't make sense...why would they charge me if I put laxative in my food but Mr X stole it, ate it and pooped all over.

No that is not true. I disagree b'coz it's crime to steal.

what **** I put in my food is my business.

Because it's assault. It's like if someone breaks into your home and gets hurt... dumb but you could get sued or worse.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    That is awful. I am very lucky that I work with a bunch of people who either go buy lunch every day, or bring their own and pretty much only want to eat what they brought.

Buuuut, my sister is celiac with an egg/dairy intolerance, and she has had people steal her kind of expensive special dietary needs lunches from her work fridge (in a high school teacher's lounge). Why are people so terrible?
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Take no pity on these scum bags.

+1
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    this annoys me too! Generally not an issue at my office but I have had a yogurt container taken & a few times I've had people apparently drop my lunch & have it open so when I went to get it I had a grocery bag full of chili instead of a tupperware container of it :(
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I experienced that twice in my career. The first time, my lunch wasn't stolen but it was so bad management had to get involved. HR made each manager hold special meetings to discuss stealing and threatened termination if it continued. The second time, I was at a different company and my lunch got stolen many times. I had to start putting my lunch in the refrigerator the CEO and executives used.
  • bobbimrn
    bobbimrn Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We have had a food thief at work so one day last summer when my fresh watermelon went missing I was pissed! I ranted to all my coworkers until one said "oh I think Tim threw it out" ! So I asked "Tim why did you throw out my watermelon?" and he said "Oh that's been there for 3 days!" and I said "NO, it hasn't, I eat it for lunch and bring in another one the next day!" .LOL He's a friend so I felt better but still perplexed as to why the one person who never cleans at work suddenly took interest in my poor watermelon!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    IDK but this was hilarious! The sandwich baggie with the mold was too much!LOL!
  • maracuya23
    maracuya23 Posts: 122
    Options
    A miniature suitcase style lock with 2 crosswise straps seems like it should do the trick. Someone should make Lunch Lock. It would sell like crazy on SkyMall!
  • nolabone
    nolabone Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Anti-theft powder.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Word of advice- never, ever, ever do the laxative thing. You can cause serious damage to someone if they're on certain meds or have a medical condition and you would be charged with assault in that case. It's happened before.

wait a sec that doesn't make sense...why would they charge me if I put laxative in my food but Mr X stole it, ate it and pooped all over.

No that is not true. I disagree b'coz it's crime to steal.

what **** I put in my food is my business.

I'm going to have to agree with this. What if someone stole a homemade meal that had a serious food allergen to the thief in it? Not the food owner's problem. Don't take what doesn't belong to you and there won't be any problem. I say whatever they get serves 'em right for for being a thief.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Also, I read on a different MFP thread about how someone's boss kept stealing a girl's lunch, but always denied it when confronted. So she made a couple wet cat food sandwiches and labeled them as her lunch. He ate them, then she publicly announced that "whoever" ate her lunch just ate a bunch of cat food. Her lunches never went missing again. :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Get a really nasty coloured plastic container (but make sure it's actually fit for keeping food in) even better if you scruff up the outside a bit (or a lot)

get a marker pen, and write "Urine Sample" on the outside and stick a biohazard sticker on it.

Store your food in that container in the work fridge.
  • snappyapples
    Options
    Buy a thermal lunch bag and an ice pack. Keep it at your desk. YES it's annoying but when I worked in an office I kept my lunch at my desk and my snacks in a drawer after a box of granola bars and my lunch went missing. Never happened again :).
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I frequently keep diet soda, cans of sparkling water, and yogurt in my work fridge. After things disappeared a few times, I learned to write "I'm a thief" on the bottoms of the cans and packages. Anyone who steals them won't notice, but if they eat/drink it in front of anyone, they will get very embarrassed.
  • LisAri72
    LisAri72 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I would hesitate to put the bosses or supervisors initials on something because what is to stop him/her from then eating it? Just because they are in an authority position doesn't mean they can't be a lunchroom thief. They would have perfect excuse, their name is on it.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Buy a thermal lunch bag and an ice pack. Keep it at your desk. YES it's annoying but when I worked in an office I kept my lunch at my desk and my snacks in a drawer after a box of granola bars and my lunch went missing. Never happened again :).

^^^ THIS. Let's you skip the food thievery altogether.

I also bring in lots of treats for the office... and stealing from me would bring that to a screeching halt. I'd be tempted to put a note on the fridge "You take my lunch, no one sees homemade brownies in this office again. Capiche?!?"
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too! If I leave my unopened snack in the fridge overnight, it will be gone the next day. It's like what the hell?? Bring your own snack - it is so ghetto! The worst was when my kid was doing cookie dough sales for baseball and co-workers left their orders in the freezer overnight. The next morning they were ALL GONE. We're talking 6 tubs of cookie dough! Who the heck does that?!?
    Now I write my name on my snack/lunch in bold, black Sharpie marker and specifically write "DO NOT TOUCH!" So far it hasn't been taken, but I also don't leave it in the fridge overnight anymore.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    get a marker pen, and write "Urine Sample" on the outside and stick a biohazard sticker on it.

Store your food in that container in the work fridge.
    Oh hell to the no!

If I saw a container in the breakroom refrigerator with the words "Urine Sample" on it, I'd probably throw it away. I don't care what's in the container. That is sooooooooooooooo disgusting, I'm getting the chills just thinking about it. The idea of someone's pee bowl near my milk makes me want to puke.

Reminds me of the mysterious coworker who kept putting his nasty, grubby, sweat stained, cold pack on the ice cubes. Not in a door slot, in one of the bin drawers or on an empty shelf in the freezer, all of which were available. He laid it touching the ice cubes that people used to make drinks. I tried leaving notes asking him not to be such an inconsiderate, revolting pig but he did it a few more times. So, using a hand full of paper towels, I threw the cold pack away on another floor so he couldn't find it.

My technique to try to keep people from eating or drinking my stuff is to tape a post-it with my name across the opening. Any theives have to be pretty bold to break the tape and have a Post-it with someone else's name on it showing. So far, I haven't noticed that anyone has opened or used my stuff since I've done it. I have had people act like it hurt their feelings because I put my name and a tape seal on my stuff, though. Why I should bother them, I don't know.
  • yodenody
    yodenody Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fridge thieves?

NOOOOOOOOOO!