my diet hampers my weight loss

Options
I try so hard to stick to a diet and just cannot last more than a week. I workout but never lose any weight because of my diet. I swear I just ate and I'll see food and want to eat it even tho I feel full it's so upsetting and that leads to me sometimes not knowing if I'm hungry or I just want it smh. The other thing is the cravings smh ..it just kills me. I do really good as long as I stay away from it but I'm at work etc people eating all this junk it's so hard.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? Most people who struggle to stick to a diet have set their calorie goal too low, leading to hunger.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You don't really have to "diet" so to speak... just watch your calorie intake. I still have fast food, chips, ice cream, etc. I just watch my portion sizes and stick to my calorie goals. If you give in to your cravings with control you won't have them. For instance, you crave ice cream? Stick to the actual portion size on the container. You wan't French Fries? Order a small. You want pie? Share it with a friend. Etc. This all will help!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Don't "diet." Diets are evil. Instead, make a sustainable lifestyle change. Find healthy foods that you love, bring some to work with you. Also, no food is really "junk." Even candy made with pure sugar can be part of healthy eating plan in moderation.

Next time your coworkers are snacking, take a reasonable portion of what you want, log the calories, and if you still need to snack, pull out your own delicious healthy snacks.

Also, be a trendsetter. Once your coworkers start seeing your willpower and the changes in your appearance, they might want to follow your lead.
  • primadonna_20
    primadonna_20 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hmm that is a good idea ..thank you
  • primadonna_20
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? Most people who struggle to stick to a diet have set their calorie goal too low, leading to hunger.

I don't usually count calories I don't know why actually lol. But I always make sure to only eat portion sizes I weigh all my food and ieat 5 to 6 small meals a day. But I work night shift so that never pans out very well lol but I try.
  • primadonna_20
    Options
    I tried calorie counting before it didn't work for me because I was starving but I think the calorie goal was too low .. is 1500 a good calorie goal for me ..i am 65in and 170 lbs and I'm 23.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Diets are terrible things. The point of MFP is to show you can eat anything you want within reason and still lose weight. It is all about a calorie deficit, not being confined to eating lettuce.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I tried calorie counting before it didn't work for me because I was starving but I think the calorie goal was too low .. is 1500 a good calorie goal for me ..i am 65in and 170 lbs and I'm 23.
    Before plucking out the random number of 1500 - have you entered your statisitcs into MFP? - set you activity level to at least 'lightly active' and set you weight loss rate to no more than 1 1b per week - what number does MFP give you?

Work from that and eat back any exercise calories on top of it.
  • primadonna_20
    Options
    Before plucking out the random number of 1500 - have you entered your statisitcs into MFP? - set you activity level to at least 'lightly active' and set you weight loss rate to no more than 1 1b per week - what number does MFP give you?

I did just now it says 1360.
    I think I can do that especially if I get to eat what I exercise lol
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Something I had no idea about when I was just starting is that small amounts of exercise will make you want to eat more than your calorie budget goal but larger amounts will have the opposite effect. Start as small as you need to, even if all you can pull off is walking around the neighborhood, and ramp it up. There will eventually be a tipping point.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

I did just now it says 1360.
    I think I can do that especially if I get to eat what I exercise lol

I agree that you should record calories. Weight loss is a result of calories in vs. calories out. You lose weight when you are at a caloric deficit.
    The only way to know whether you are at a deficit is to accurately record calories in. I'm not talking about weighing and recording for ever and ever, just while you get into the rhythm of things. Most people grossly underestimate the amount of calories they consume.
    Also, most people overestimate the amount of calories that their workout burns. Which in turns leads them to believe they have more room to eat than the actual deficit created, thus end up gaining weight when they think they are doing everything right.

MFP, a food scale and a heart rate monitor are great tools to help keep track of what's consumed and what's burned through exercise.

This is a great support forum, you are on the right track
    Best of luck in your weight loss.