Is this good, bad or average?

Options
I've been wearing my HRM for the first time today, and of course I have been really curious on how much I have been burning while working. So far it tells me I have burn 700 cal in 6 hours. Is this good , bad or average and is this the amount I should be eating back except to the basic 1200 calorie allowance. Thanks

Replies

• KatrinaLynnLee
    Options
    I have no idea. I have never worn one of those before. Is that like the body bugg?
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    no!

HRMs are not meant to be worn all day!

Only during actual exercise where you are intentionally getting your heartbeat up and working out. Work doesn't count.
    Your daily calories include your daily activity. You say you are set at 1200, so you eat 1200 plus calories burned while working out.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, regular HRM's are not meant to be worn all day. That number may not be accurate. The Bodybugg is meant for all day wear though. As far as eating those calories back, I don't think so since those were already factored into your number when you entered your lifestyle (sedentary, moderately active, etc). You only eat back calories earned by exercise above and beyond your everyday activities.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    no!

HRMs are not meant to be worn all day!

Only during actual exercise where you are intentionally getting your heartbeat up and working out. Work doesn't count.
    Your daily calories include your daily activity. You say you are set at 1200, so you eat 1200 plus calories burned while working out.
    +1, exactly what she said. MFP calculated your daily calories based on your daily calorie burn with all activity NOT including exercise.So, unfortunately, everything else is already accounted for. IF you ate those 700, you would be using those calories twice. Make sense?
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    A regular HRM with a chest strap is not accurate for anything other than exercise. They're terrible at resting calories burned.

If you're wearing a bodybug type I hear they're decent for all day wear and burn. If that's the case then 700 calories in 6 hours 2800 calories a day. That's how many you'd burn all day. Eat 2800 calories to stay the same weight, more to gain weight, and less to loose weight.
  • silveryflutterby
    Options
    There is no way to really tell what you average should be based on this because so many things factor into heart rate. Age, weight, height, specific activities you are doing. You also have to remember that your body burns a certain number of calories throughout the day just doing nothing so if you are wearing it all day, you have to subtract those out. I only wear my HRM during exercise, not all day. Unless you have your thing set on sedentary, it already accounts for normal daily activity so you are only supposed to log things that aren't part of your normal day otherwise you are counting them twice. Hope this helps you. :)
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    No do not eat back calories burned while doing regular daily activities. Only when exercising or exerting yourself above and beyond normal daily stuff. MFP creates a deficit for you to lose wait while taking into consideration your BMR (cals burned from just existing, ie breathing) + cals burned through regular daily activities (working, getting up to answer the phone, take the trash out, etc) + caloric deficit (calorie restriction/"diet") when figuring what your daily calorie goal should be. Those daily activities your HRM is catching when you wear it all day are already figured into the equation. Where exercise is not.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Let me explain further.

Your body burns calories just being alive. Beating your heart, expanding your lungs, reproducing cells, etc. The amount of calories your body needs to do these basic functions of life is your BMR.
    Go to the BMR calculator and look at yours. You shouldn't eat less than this number per day or you are starving yourself. If it happens once in a while you'll be ok, but don't make a habit of it.
    Your maintenance level is your BMR PLUS daily activities, like just walking around getting dressed, cooking, eating, working, whatever. This level you set when choosing Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active, etc.
    This number is the number of calories you need every day to stay at the same weight.

Eat less than this number and you will lose weight. MFP subtracts from this number based on your goal you selected (1 lb a week, 2 lbs a week, etc).

so, your maintenance minus your deficit, MFP has decided you should eat 1200 a day to lose weight.

If you work out, (IE. put on exercise clothes and your HRM and physically exert yourself and break a sweat and get your heart pumping), log that activity as exercise and those calories get added to your daily allowance. Reason being, you need to eat those back to avoid going too LOW in your net calories and ending up eating less than your BMR, which if you remember is the calories you need just to breathe and beat your heart, etc.

SO, long story short.
    Eat ALL your calories, only wear your HRM during workout time, and eat those back too. Eating way too little can be as bad as eating too much.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    That would mean 2800 calories over 24 hours which I doubt. I tried to do the same thing when I first got mine (Timex T5G971 - I think). Sitting at my desk doing nothing I burned 672 calories in 3 hours. That's impossible. My first HRM had me burning 3-4 calories a minute just sitting. That would mean I would be burning over 4000 calories a day doing nothing. There's just no way. My new HRM (Polar FT7) shows me burning 1 calorie per minute which is about right. I tested it for just a single minute.

The don't work using it all day.

and you would have to subtract resting calories burned. For me that's 1.06 per minute (to get this: take what MFP gives you as your BMR. (mine is 1520). Divide that by 24 (hours). 1520/24 = 63.3. Then take that and divide by 60 (minutes). 63.3/60 = 1.055 = 1.06. Then take the minutes of exercise - say 30 - and multiply by the number you get (30*1.06 = 31.8 = 32). Subtract that from the calories you burned during exercise and there is your calories burned.

When I was using my first HRM I subtracted 4 calories per minute to try and make up for the inaccuracy.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    As it has been said, and just to reenforce, bodybug is good for all day. Also, I have heard MIO is good too. Other than that, most HRMs are very accurate for your workout. One thing to keep in mind is that the purpose of a HRM is to determine the calories you are burning from exercise more accurately. The BMR tool is what you should expect to burn in a given day by just sitting around / very little activity.

Regardless of calories recorded burned from any device, HRM or other, always be sure to subtract the BMR calories from that time period. For example, if I have a 1400 calorie limit for the day, and I exercise for 30 min, and I burn 200 calories, I would record that I burned 200 calories - [(1400/(24*60))*30 minutes] = 200 calories - 29 calories (rounded) = 171 calories.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    That would mean 2800 calories over 24 hours which I doubt. I tried to do the same thing when I first got mine (Timex T5G971 - I think). Sitting at my desk doing nothing I burned 672 calories in 3 hours. That's impossible. My first HRM had me burning 3-4 calories a minute just sitting. That would mean I would be burning over 4000 calories a day doing nothing. There's just no way. My new HRM (Polar FT7) shows me burning 1 calorie per minute which is about right. I tested it for just a single minute.

The don't work using it all day.

and you would have to subtract resting calories burned. For me that's 1.06 per minute (to get this: take what MFP gives you as your BMR. (mine is 1520). Divide that by 24 (hours). 1520/24 = 63.3. Then take that and divide by 60 (minutes). 63.3/60 = 1.055 = 1.06. Then take the minutes of exercise - say 30 - and multiply by the number you get (30*1.06 = 31.8 = 32). Subtract that from the calories you burned during exercise and there is your calories burned.

When I was using my first HRM I subtracted 4 calories per minute to try and make up for the inaccuracy.

I bought the polar ft4, always curious to see what I did burn in a day when Im running around. Some of those calories burn was from excerise. Its a great tool to use and I will now only wear it while excerising. Thanks for the info.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Let me explain further.

Your body burns calories just being alive. Beating your heart, expanding your lungs, reproducing cells, etc. The amount of calories your body needs to do these basic functions of life is your BMR.
    Go to the BMR calculator and look at yours. You shouldn't eat less than this number per day or you are starving yourself. If it happens once in a while you'll be ok, but don't make a habit of it.
    Your maintenance level is your BMR PLUS daily activities, like just walking around getting dressed, cooking, eating, working, whatever. This level you set when choosing Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active, etc.
    This number is the number of calories you need every day to stay at the same weight.

Eat less than this number and you will lose weight. MFP subtracts from this number based on your goal you selected (1 lb a week, 2 lbs a week, etc).

so, your maintenance minus your deficit, MFP has decided you should eat 1200 a day to lose weight.

If you work out, (IE. put on exercise clothes and your HRM and physically exert yourself and break a sweat and get your heart pumping), log that activity as exercise and those calories get added to your daily allowance. Reason being, you need to eat those back to avoid going too LOW in your net calories and ending up eating less than your BMR, which if you remember is the calories you need just to breathe and beat your heart, etc.

SO, long story short.
    Eat ALL your calories, only wear your HRM during workout time, and eat those back too. Eating way too little can be as bad as eating too much.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. This is my first time playing with a HRM so its a little new in that area. I should of known that but I guess I never really payed that much attention to it. a little embarssing but a refesher as well.