Resistance training using your own body

Options
I've started trying to gain muscle now that I'm close to my weight goal, I don't live near a gym or have weights, so I started doing a resistance workout on nerdfitness, it involves push ups, squats, lifting 2 gallons of milk, lunges and planks, will I gain muscle doing this? I still do push ups sit ups as well after this workout

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    It will not be as efficient of a muscle gain as using a weights program designed for hypertrophy, but you can see gains as long as you continue to increase the resistance with more and more difficult bodyweight exercises.

I would google "building muscle with body weight exercises" to see the variety in bodyweight work you can do.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A couple more resources
    Strength unbound
    Convict conditioning
  • running4myboys
    running4myboys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You could also check into a TRX. I have one and love it.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    yes... you can get pretty jacked doing just body weight exercises

harder to build up the lower body

is a pistol squat hard? hell yeah... is it a lack of strength in the legs that makes it hard? not really

i dont foresee anybody getting the same size legs doing pistol squats as they would using machines or barbells. Im not saying you'll have chicken legs, they just wont be massive either.

upperbody work you can make a lot more size gains using just BW movements.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Check out the Barstarzz guys, they do nothing but bodyweight exercises and have great physiques. An extreme example as most people will never train enough to do some of their moves, but it shows what you can achieve with nothing but your own body for resistance and perseverance and will power.
  • mcspiffy88
    mcspiffy88 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    ofc you can. As long as you are keeping up with progressive overload I dont see why not. That means hanging some weights over time to your full body exercises.