I am giving up on logging exercise

Options
I have only been on here 7 weeks or so and only 1 day did I go above my net calories (by about 200, so it should’ve evened out throughout that week) but despite setting my goals to lose 2lb per week the past 3 weigh-ins have been -1, -2 & -1lb, so I’ve lost 4 when it should be 6.

I know these things are never going to be spot on and I am prepared for weeks wher I lose less than other weeks, but I am a bit disheartened that I seem to be showing a trend of “slowing down” at such an early stage. Reading the forums, I find many people believe the exercise calories are overestimated, so I reckon I may have overestimated my exercise (a couple of hours walking each day), even though I never put my full amount in (I try to half it, but perhaps even that is too much).

I am therefore stopping logging exercise (for the time being, at least) and sticking within my limits based on my setting of sedentary alone, so any exercise I do will be an unlogged bonus (if that makes any sense).

Perhaps I’m expecting too much, but I don’t want to overeat based on exercise calories I haven’t properly earned.

Replies

• mjfab
    mjfab Posts: 10
    Options
    I ran into the same problems so often wen I was just counting calories and then I saw A video that really put things in perspective for me. take a little time and watch this....It really will help

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/fat-head/
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of the few things where calculators should be fairly accurate (running is another).

Having said that all the calories in / calories out estimates are just estimates for an average person - and people should make adjustments based on their actual results over a sensible period of time. Consistency is key.

Whether you make those adjustments by custom setting your goal, not logging exercise calories or changing weekly weight loss goal is personal preference.

I've found that I appear to need 300 calories a day less than an average person my size/age/gender/activity setting.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think you need to learn some patience. Weight loss is not linear and just because the maths say you will lose 2 pounds a week doesn't mean you will. There are many other factors that effect weightloss the Maths is just in reality an estimate. If you're already frustrated with 1 pound a week loss your going to be very frustrated for the remaining 50 pounds loss. Also getting healthy is not just about losing weight quickly you need to retain as much muscle mass as possible as well. You will lose muscle that's a fact but the idea is to minimise that.

You didn't put the weight on overnight and it wont come off quickly either.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of the few things where calculators should be fairly accurate (running is another).
    MFP's estimates certainly work out about right for me for running and walking

BUT

When you're doing a less intense exercise over a long time, a fair percentage of what you'd burn comes from your BMR - what you'd use just sitting on your sofa - which is already calculated in your calorie target.

For instance, I'd burn 126 calories in two hours doing nothing and 548 walking, so it would be more accurate to track 422.

The difference becomes less important for harder, shorter bouts of exercise.

I track "formal" workout sessions and have a FitBit One linked to MFP as an incentive to up my non exercise activity thermogenesis (NEAT), or what I burn just going about my daily business.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing the weight you expected it's probably on the intake side not on the out side.

If you don't use a kitchen scale and just eyeball or use measuring cups then chances are you are eating more than you think.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think