Anyone here do Zumba ...

Options
I am thinking of taking it up, I have seen its a major calorie burner. Is it helpful and also its suitable for ' bigger people ' ?

Replies

• swissmish
    swissmish Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba and absolutely love it! It is a good calorie burn. It is suitable for any shape and size. You just go at your pace and whatever you are comfortable with. Definitely give it a try as it really is a lot of fun. Going to Zumba tonite :)
  • micheypeach
    micheypeach Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hiya

I do Zumba & I LOVE IT!
    You have such fun and I generally burn somewhere in the region of 700 calories!

There are all shapes sizes & ages at my class. If you like to have fun & dance around like no one is watching give it a go!

x
  • new_nathalie
    new_nathalie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I do zumba at home on DVDs, I love it because it is a fun workout. Time passes by especially if you enjoy the music.
    You can do it even if you are "bigger"... no problem!
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba its so much fun :) def try it !! Lots of different sizes/abilities at the one I got to
  • BobbiTracey
    Options
    Zumba is fantastic! Do it at home by yourself if you're a bit conscious about how you look doing it (took a while for me to get used to dancing like a maniac around the lounge!) Also 'Revfit' is really good too! It's just like Zumba except you work out to songs that are a bit more modern :) You can find them easy on Youtube! :)
  • ScattyMinx
    Options
    Oh thanks guys, maybe ill try Zumba at home for no until I feel more comfortable in front of others. I'll have a peek at Amazon.
  • TinaFromEFC
    TinaFromEFC Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think Zumba with a group is way more fun. Check Zumba.com for the nearest instructor and see if they will let you try a class for free or for a reduced price. Also let the instructor know if you have any limitations (bad knees, etc).
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Zumba is a really fun way to burn a pile of calories. I used to be an instructor and had lots of different shapes, sizes and abilities in my class. The important thing to remember is just have fun - it doesn't matter if you don't have the moves down straight away - as long as you're moving, you're burning calories. And a good instructor will be clear with their cues when teaching the class, so after going a few times, you'll start to pick up the routines without even realising. Highly recommended!
  • ultrafishboy
    ultrafishboy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Check out the zumba group here on MFP.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I do it occasionally and I love it! It really helped me to lose quite a bit of weight and didn't hurt my knees too bad.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It really is good for all sizes and shapes. I'm an instructor and have everything from tiny people to big people and everything in between in my classes. And you'll find that instructors come in all shapes and sizes too. :) Try a group. It's so much more fun that watching the DVDs. Remember that no one is watching you. They are all focused on themselves and the instructor, so don't worry if you're not doing the steps right or if your shirt is riding up a little. You're there to have fun. Below is the link to my FAQ page. I hope you try Zumba, it really is so much fun!

http://bethdavis.zumba.com/faq
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    i love love love love zumba.

I did it when I was 167 lbs more and I do it now. I do it a lot better now because my body moves better, but I loved it both ways. Find a great instructor and its a blast!

now the videos I did not like
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I only love doing zumba because I love the lady who teaches it at my dance studio- I work the front desk- so I'll run in between shifts and do 3 or 4 songs- I'm the loud obnoxious one that barely knows what she's doing.

I still have fun. It's a great way to burn some calories and jam out. It's not the be all end all- but it's definintely a fun way to burn 300 calories LOL- way better than just getting on the deadmill!