Is there such a thing as "too intense"?

Options
2»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Rhamdomyolysis would be the result of true "too intense" exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Your body will tell you if its too intense. If its too intense, its unsustainable and you are pushing your limits. if you don't listen to your body and blow a heart valve, lung, vessel, etc, then that's not good. if you are uncertain, then consult with your physician prior to starting a new program.
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    It completely depends on what your intake is. There is no way he (or anyone) can determine where the calories are coming from, unless he knows what you're eating. That being said, there exists something called calorie partitioning (Google it), and that may determine how much energy is being utilized from carbs, fats or protein. One of the biggest problems however (especially for females), is too much energy expenditure (aka LISS or moderate cardio) and not enough intake. If you are doing that kind of VOLUME (which is what I think he meant- not intensity BTW), and eating 1200 cals/day; yes that may be a problem.

Too much cardio + VLCD for an extended time period for women equals poor fat mobilization, especially from the lower trunk area (hips, thighs, butt), and an adapted metabolism (very slow or no weight loss). I would (as others have) recommend focusing more on resistance training and diet, while keeping the low to moderate cardio (jogging, walking, biking) limited to 2-3 sessions per week with 2 -3 interval training (HIIT) sessions added. This will signal your body to utilize fat stores moreso than typical cardio.

Regarding strength training for beginners, there's a ton of info online. But basic is always better for beginners. Basic compound lifts (bench press, squat, deadlifts, rows, pull or chin-ups, dips, will help develop a balanced strong physique for anyone. Don't get fancy, and stay away from isolation exercises (curls, leg extensions, leg curls, etc) until you're more advanced. And don't worry, you wont get "too big" Hope that helps.
  • nrheasley
    nrheasley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It completely depends on what your intake is. There is no way he (or anyone) can determine where the calories are coming from, unless he knows what you're eating. That being said, there exists something called calorie partitioning (Google it), and that may determine how much energy is being utilized from carbs, fats or protein. One of the biggest problems however (especially for females), is too much energy expenditure (aka LISS or moderate cardio) and not enough intake. If you are doing that kind of VOLUME (which is what I think he meant- not intensity BTW), and eating 1200 cals/day; yes that may be a problem.

I would (as others have) recommend focusing more on resistance training and diet, while keeping the low to moderate cardio (jogging, walking, biking) limited to 2-3 sessions per week with 2 -3 interval training (HIIT) sessions added.

He looked at my MyFitnessPal diary. I adjusted my settings to "lightly active" to give myself a few extra calories per day.

I am able to put 30-60 minutes into working out per day. Does anyone have any recommendations on how that should be split between strength training and cardio? Thanks!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

He says I'm burning calories but they're coming from carbs and not fat.
    BKrEbK9.gif
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

I would (as others have) recommend focusing more on resistance training and diet, while keeping the low to moderate cardio (jogging, walking, biking) limited to 2-3 sessions per week with 2 -3 interval training (HIIT) sessions added.

He looked at my MyFitnessPal diary. I adjusted my settings to "lightly active" to give myself a few extra calories per day.

I am able to put 30-60 minutes into working out per day. Does anyone have any recommendations on how that should be split between strength training and cardio? Thanks!
    A typical beginner weight program is a full-body workout (45-60 minutes), at least two and preferably three non-consecutive days per week. You can fit cardio in on the alternate days. People often do something like this...
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Weights
    Tuesday, Thursday: Moderate cardio
    Saturday: HIIT cardio
    Sunday: Total rest day

My own schedule is a bit more schizophrenic than that, but you probably get the idea. :smile:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    1. the question of too intense depends on what your goals are and what your current level of fitness is. If you enjoy your workouts and you're fit enough to do them, then it's not too intense. If you need a workout to be challenging or you won't enjoy it, then decreasing the intensity would be a bad idea. If you're training for a particular goal, e.g. winning races or whatever, then you definitely need high intensity to achieve that (although the kind of exercise you do needs to match the goal... running won't help you win powerlifting tournaments)

That said: if you don't like the exercise you're doing, then don't do it. Do something else that you like instead. High intensity exercise isn't necessary for fat loss (although strength training/weight lifting helps to ensure you maintain your lean mass while losing fat, and that needs to be intense, but doesn't take all day because it's not cardio, i.e. 45 mins whole body workout 2-3x week is enough for most people) - long term maintenance of healthy body composition should be the goal, that's much more achievable with exercise you enjoy. Many people think they have to run until they puke to get the benefit of exercise... you don't. You just need to get out there and actually get moving. The only think i'd say is to include some kind of intense enough strength training, but like I said that doesn't have to last all day and it doesn't have to make you puke either.

2. the thing about burning from carbs not fat is BS. The body can only burn so much fat in one go, so the more intense the exercise, the higher the *percentage* of the fuel your body uses comes from carbs.... but the more intense you exercise, the greater the total amount of fuel you burn. As in you burn the same amount of fat either way (so long as the intensity isn't so low that your body's not maxed out in terms of fat burning), but burn more carbs if you exercise more intensely, i.e. because you're maxed out on fat burning your body will get the extra energy needed from carbs. - additionally, what you want for fat loss is a calorie deficit, it doesn't matter whether it's fat or carbs being burned, if you're eating in deficit then regardless of what percentage of the calories burned come from fat or carbs, the fact you're eating at a deficit means you'll be burning fat later in the day to make up the energy shortfall. So the fat v carbs argument of exercise is irrelevent.... more intense exercise burns more calories and makes it easier to create a deficit through eating less than you burn off. (no calorie deficit = no weight loss, regardless of whatever else you do, which is why they say "abs are made in the kitchen")
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I met with a nutrition student on my campus for nutrition counseling, and he said my workouts may be "too intense." Is there such a thing? My workouts are an hour a day, 3-6 days a week and typically include some sort of combination of:

30 min. circuit
    30-45 min. jogging @ 5.0
    15 min stairmaster
    15-45 elliptical

He says I'm burning calories but they're coming from carbs and not fat. Is that a bad thing?? Thanks!

What is your average heart rate during these workouts? I personally aim to spend most of my cardio work-outs in zone 3 or above. I wouldn't call any of the above intense at all especially jogging at speed 5.0. An hour a day for 3 - 5 days puts you in the "Moderately Active" category for most calorie counting websites I've seen.

And yes, depending on what your excersise goals are you would benefit from adding some strength or resistance training.

I've heard it takes at least half an hour of moderate excersise before your body burns stored glycogen in muscles and starts burning stored fat reserves for energy.
  • Mauthos
    Mauthos Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think what you are doing is too intense, I am 36, so a little bit older than you I am assuming and my usual week is as follows:

Monday: 1hr 10 in the gym (20 mins cardio (warm-up) followed by 50 mins weights session. Then 1.5 hrs of Tang soo do training
    Tuesday: 2.5hrs of Kenpo karate, technically my rest day, as I instruct, it isn't exactly hard exercise in the slightest
    Wednesday: 1hr 10 in the gym (as Monday) followed by a 60 minutes circuit (normally trx suspension training with some boxing)
    Thursdays: 1hr 10 in the gym (as Monday) followed by 45 mins of body combat and then 1hr of kick boxing training.
    Fridays: 1hr 10 in the gym (as Monday)
    Saturday: 1hr 10 in the gym (as Monday)
    Sunday: 1hr 10 in the gym (as Monday) followed by 1hr of body combat

I follow a push/pull/shoulders& legs split for the weight training sessions, so 3 sessions 2x a week and my only real intense day is Thursdays as it is pretty much non-stop, but I know alot of guys and gals who do much more than I do.

So, to cut down my waffle, do what you feel is comfortable for you, but I think you would benefit from some strength training and as has been suggested by alot of guys here, there are alot of beginner style workouts you can start with available from a variety of sources online. Good luck!
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There is such a thing as too intense. I wouldn't consider your routine to be that. As long as you're not having issues such as fatigue ( I mean total exhaustion that won't go away) or soreness that lasts more than 2-3 days at a time I would't worry about it. The other aspect that can change your workouts to "too intense" is whether you're eating enough calories. If you're working out for an hour a day and meeting your calorie goals then I wouldn't even worry about it.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I met with a nutrition student on my campus for nutrition counseling, and he said my workouts may be "too intense." Is there such a thing? My workouts are an hour a day, 3-6 days a week and typically include some sort of combination of:

30 min. circuit
    30-45 min. jogging @ 5.0
    15 min stairmaster
    15-45 elliptical

He says I'm burning calories but they're coming from carbs and not fat. Is that a bad thing?? Thanks!

Your body has different energy systems. With the way you are working out, you are burning fat, after the first 20-30 minutes or so.
  • nrheasley
    nrheasley Posts: 78 Member
    Options

A typical beginner weight program is a full-body workout (45-60 minutes), at least two and preferably three non-consecutive days per week. You can fit cardio in on the alternate days. People often do something like this...

My own schedule is a bit more schizophrenic than that, but you probably get the idea. :smile:

This is super helpful--thank you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

That tells me he knows something less than noting about weight loss (ie he's bought into the "fat burning zone" myth) but I do agree with those suggesting that you add some resistance training (weights) to your routine. Cardio is great for burning lots of calories (which is a good thing in the context of weight loss) and it's great for cardiovascular health but when it comes to body composition nothing replaces weight training.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I would have thought too intense would be pushing your max heart rate too much too often.
    As for burning too many carbs - no such thing: that's how you get to eat more of them :wink:

If you are looking into fuelling cardio, maybe read "the new rules of marathon and half marathon nutrition"...
    But at an hour, I don't think you are anywhere near using too many calories per workout. I don't usually even bring a water on less than an hour...
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Too intense? No. You will have to bump up you're intake significantly if you want to have energy to do it daily. Otherwise you'll burn out. Yesterday I ran a 20 miler at marathon pace (6:50). Food intake went from 2,400 to 4,505 and that's still having me at a 500 deficit.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

I love that line...:laugh:

I prefer to say my *schedule* has a serious case of ADHD
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options

I love that line...:laugh:

I prefer to say my *schedule* has a serious case of ADHD
    Haha, so much this! Because there are so many fun things to do, and time is sadly finite.