fancy appetizers for Easter dinner?

Options
hammycakes
hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
Welp,
I'm bringing appetizers for the Easter dinner with the in-laws at my SIL's house. She's trying to lose weight too, but she and my MIL are both very nice gourmet style cooks.

Any ideas for low- cal, upscale appetizers? .. child friendly would be an added bonus but I can do a few separate things.

Replies

• hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    bump bump?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    soupe au pistou
  • Mau_Hutch
    Mau_Hutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Stuffed mushrooms?
    Stuffed endive?
    Asparagus or melon wrapped with proscuitto?
    Chicken skewers with dip?
    Shrimp ring?
  • amberrenee813
    amberrenee813 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    These Skinny Brie Phyllo Cups are a regular standby for me, when it needs to be yummy, look special, and be reasonable on the calorie-side: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/11/skinny-baked-brie-phyllo-cups-with.html
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you just say dinner? Why did you have to break the forum rules?
  • jshashaty
    jshashaty Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I made cauliflower pizza and it was amazing. will share recipe if you want it.
    Another low calorie appetizer is grilled shrimp
    My fav: Proscuitti wrapped in a piece of melon - delish.
  • FUcalories
    FUcalories Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oooooh, I'm interested in the cauliflower pizza! Pizza is my weakness. If I could find a great tasting alternative, I would be in heaven! Please share!!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I was also going to vote for proscuitto wrapped asparagus!

You could do a whipped herbed goat cheese or hummus with cut vegetables, shrimp cocktail, phyllo cups with spinach and reduced fat feta...
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I like those yummy caprese on a stick... each toothpick has 1 grape/cherry tomato, 1 mozzarella ball and a basil leaf on it. I will crack some sea salt and black pepper on the top and drizzle it with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. YUM! :)
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    black-olive-penguins-21.jpg
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Here is the menu from the last Wine Tasting I did for my wife and she loved them all.

Lobster Egg Rolls
    Asian Salad
    Stuffed Mushrooms
    Avocado and Crab Soup
    Stuffed Red Potatoes
    Lemon & Raspberry Sorbet
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily the healthiest but I thought they were really cute:

http://www.momalwaysfindsout.com/2013/02/easter-bunny-shaped-rolls/
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yogurt dip with whole wheat pita chips
    turkey meatballs/dip recipe on skinnytaste.com---delicious
    deviled eggs
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I third the recommendation for proscuitto wrapped asparagus - I make it every year for Easter and it is always a hit.

I also made this one year, thinking it would be mostly just something fun the kids would like, but the grownups really loved it too.

carrot-shaped-veggie-pizzas-make-eating.html

http://www.hungryhappenings.com/2012/03/carrot-shaped-veggie-pizzas-make-eating.html
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    just make something cute and tasty like these below. People get pretty hung up on holiday dinners, and really, they're only a few days a year. if you go over your calorie deficit by a bit those few days, you won't gain weight. It's okay to indulge and enjoy yourself those few days and just be with your family, rather than stress out over a few calories.

Easter-Chicks-Deviled-Eggs-DIY-recipe7-1024x678.jpg
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    and I may hang myself I see another cauliflower pizza post! Good lord, just eat a damn pizza one time, have the servings in moderation. Enjoy a real pizza. Cauliflower anything does not taste like the real anything, people!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    and I may hang myself I see another cauliflower pizza post! Good lord, just eat a damn pizza one time, have the servings in moderation. Enjoy a real pizza. Cauliflower anything does not taste like the real anything, people!

Made a Cauliflower Pizza last week; liked it so much I made a Cauliflower Mac and Cheese last night. It was delicious.

I am going to attempt a lasagna next week that uses very thin strips of the Cauliflower Pizza dough instead of pasta.

Would you like to join me for dinner?
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/cinnamon_oranges.html
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/vanilla_nectarines.html

those parmesan balls look amazing, thanks to who posted that because I am adding it to my list!

I have done the vanilla nectarines, very tasty and simple! :flowerforyou: