How Much Stock Should I Put In A Weigh-In?

Options
So I am transitioning into weight maintenance and trying to find my "sweet spot" calorically. I thought I found it on monday when my weigh in was steady from last week (on tuesday my weight was the exact same again). However, today I am down a POUND! I don't want to lose anymore weight, do you think I should up calories again? Or am I putting too much stock into this one weigh in, where I could have just had a "low" day. Thanks.

Replies

• dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Any help here?
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Eat at what you think is your maintenance with consistent activity for a couple weeks to a month and then adjust from there. A few days and even a full week may not be a good indicator of your maintenance calorie level.

Even if you do lose a couple pounds in the process it's going to put you in your maintenance range which is usually a 3-5lb range.
  • morethenjustmum
    morethenjustmum Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think and goal range of 2 lbs in either direction s easier then one fixed weight. Give yourself a week and if you lose again up your calories by a wee bit
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    It is normal for weight to fluctuate up and down several pounds over the course of a day. I've "gained" 2 pounds between walking in and out of the gym, just due to the water I drank, and my clothes getting soaked in sweat.
    Track it for 2 weeks, see if there is a definite direction it is heading, and then decide if you need to make any changes.

Think of it this way, a 500 cal deficit every day for a week is what it takes to add/lose a pound of fat.
    So for you to really lose a pound in 2 days is to have had a 1750cal deficit on Monday & Tues.
    Do you really think you missed it by that much?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Get an app like Libra, weigh daily, log the weights, and you will be able to see in a cool chart form how your weight fluctuates from day to day, and will also be able to see if there is a downward trend, or if it remains fairly stable over time. that is, if you don't get so hung up on fluctuations that daily weighing might be an issue.
  • dpr73
    Options
    I don't mid the fluctuations. My concern is that I never got this weight I saw today an that I am moving down (because even on a low day I haven't hit this low). But I will try to focus a little less on the weight anyway and maybe just try to adjust my intake based on where my weight is (i.e. If it's lower I will raise calories if higher I'll lower).
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm in the figure out what now stage too! Press on! We can do this!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    About 1 cup.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I had a challenge "finding my balance" once I reached my goal. Maintaining is a new challenge and requires ongoing diligence for me. I lost weight years ago, returned to bad habits and regained it all plus more, so this time i"m working hard to stay at a healthy weight and avoid old bad habits. In my case, maintenance calories are not very much higher than weight loss calories. I weighed daily while losing and now weigh at least a couple of times weekly. My weight goes up and down two or three pounds but I'm holding at or below my goal. Good luck finding your own balance.
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Is your MFP set to what you think your maintence calories should be? I ask because looking at your diary you have been ~200 cals under goal almost every day. If you think maintenance is 2250, but are only eating 2000 cals then yes you could be losing weight. If 2250 is your calorie goal for maintenance, then hit that goal!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I have a question about this. I have been in maintenance for a month. For the first six months of my weight loss, I ate 1200 a day, then for nine months, I did 1300. I wanted to slowly up my calories. For the first two weeks in maintenance I did 1400, and the last two 1500. Today, I get on the scale and I am up two pounds. According to my fitbit, my tdee is around 1800 so I don't get it. Is this just water? Is my tdee lower? Is my body still adjusting to the change in calories? I'm not sure if I should stick with the 1500 a day or what? Like all of you, I want to make sure I get this right. Thanks for any help.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Your weight is going to fluctuate, even in maintenance. I suggest you find a range that works for you and stick with it... Maybe look to stay within 2 lbs over or under your goal weight. Make adjustments when if you find yourself out of your range for a few consecutive weeks.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Is your MFP set to what you think your maintence calories should be? I ask because looking at your diary you have been ~200 cals under goal almost every day. If you think maintenance is 2250, but are only eating 2000 cals then yes you could be losing weight. If 2250 is your calorie goal for maintenance, then hit that goal!

Yes that's my calculated maintenance. But I feel like I'm hitting more than 2000 daily (even MFP has this opinion). I have been told that the tbsps and cups I've been using to log things like granola and PB are inaccurate. At dinner, I don't measure or log, just eyeball because I don't cook (college dining hall) that's why lately I haven't been hitting that 2200 because at dinner I'm not making my own stuff and at other meals I never weigh anything.