Office workers unite! Sitting on a ball?

Options
Okay, it drives me absolutely that I have to sit on my *kitten* all day at the office, so I'm contemplating getting a huge stability ball to sit on. I just wanted some feed back from others who have attempted this. Does it make a difference for you?!!!:wink: I've seen others walking the halls on their lunches and I'm going to try and squeeze this in on my non-existent lunch break!!!

Replies

• dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have one at home and it is difficult for me since I just started using it for sit ups. I'd be interested too if someone had used it at work! Sounds like not a bad idea!
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Pardon my Ignorance...But what good will sitting on a ball do?
  • marchegt
    marchegt Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an interesting idea for sure.... would you be sitting on it all day? Sounds like it could potentially have some downsides for your back? Just a thought!
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Well, keep us updated b/c I sit on my u know what all days as well and I have learned that after having my daughter although I went bk to my pre prego weight that from sitting down all day and snacking help me gain about 30 lbs since I was working out regularly.
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    We had a gym ball in one of the offices I worked in before. It was in a meeting room, so I would sit on it for about an hour and I could really feel my core muscles working. I'm not sure I could have managed a whole day though... :smile:

C
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I did it.
    After about 3 hours I had to switch back to the chair.
    It makes the little muscles in your back really work. It also strengthens your core.

Just do it a little at a time and you should be ok.
  • clairebeej
    Options
    I have one in my office. I try to sit on it for about an hour each day (although I sometimes forget!). It actually really helps improve posture, makes me so much more conscious of how I'm sitting and is just the right height (my old desk was an inch higher and it made a big difference - not very comfortable for typing and I was looking up at the screen too much).

I find when I sit at my desk all day, my hips get tight and I get back issues, needing chiropractic care periodically but when I am consistent about using the ball, it just takes pressure of my hips and spine (and thighs), opens my hips a little and just makes everything feel better. An hour a day is plenty though - I've definitely seen an improvement in my posture and the strength of my core (baby pooch is also looking a lot smaller lately - Hallelujah!)

Plus have fun with it - check out exercises you can do on the ball. I am alone in my office so once in a while I'll break out a few moves! :blushing:
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have sat on a ball for over a year, maybe even 2 here in my office. All day, every day. I didn't find a problem with it at all. I actually felt some back pain relief as well as less cramping and tightness in my hamstrings.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Pardon my Ignorance...But what good will sitting on a ball do?

It helps with balancing and somewhat strengthing your core. Also helps with posture.
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Mine is in my car waiting for me to feel sprite and bring it in to be blown up :blushing: . I just know there is going to be a lot of talk over it in my office, and I haven't felt like dealing with it. :grumble:

I want to use it to help with posture, build core strength, and keep me awake!
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Mine is in my car waiting for me to feel sprite and bring it in to be blown up :blushing: . I just know there is going to be a lot of talk over it in my office, and I haven't felt like dealing with it. :grumble:

I want to use it to help with posture, build core strength, and keep me awake!

Oh, they will get over it. In some way shape and form they are just jealous they don't care enough about their health to take the next step. I posted an article on my door about the benefits of sitting on a ball. That way I didn't have to explain it over and over.
  • StephieAmber
    Options
    What article are you referring to? If you don't mind my asking :)
  • dino1147
    Options
    Ok I plan to bring my ball tomorrow. Let's hope I don't chicken out!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I used a ball as an office chair for years. I have one at my desk at home, but since I'm not in an office anymore I don't use it all the time like I use to. I loved it, though, when I used it regularly. I wonder if I could convince the profs at school to switch out all our desks for balls? LOL For those that are new to balancing on a ball and want to use it for the back benefits, you can get the chair with the ball built in, but it is a bit pricey. http://www.power-systems.com/p-3157-exercise-ball-chair.aspx

Oh, there was one drawback to it. My co-workers and clients said it was hard to talk to me while I was bouncing on the ball. So, if you use it, try to remember to bounce only when you aren't carrying on a conversation. :laugh:
  • BleacherAddict
    Options
    I work in a physician's office and they've been talking about switching all of our chairs out for balls for a few weeks now. I was a little concerned about it, but after reading this, I'm actually quite excited! Thanks guys! :happy:
  • debbyrae3
    debbyrae3 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used a ball as an office chair for years. I have one at my desk at home, but since I'm not in an office anymore I don't use it all the time like I use to. I loved it, though, when I used it regularly. I wonder if I could convince the profs at school to switch out all our desks for balls? LOL For those that are new to balancing on a ball and want to use it for the back benefits, you can get the chair with the ball built in, but it is a bit pricey. http://www.power-systems.com/p-3157-exercise-ball-chair.aspx

Oh, there was one drawback to it. My co-workers and clients said it was hard to talk to me while I was bouncing on the ball. So, if you use it, try to remember to bounce only when you aren't carrying on a conversation. :laugh:
    That's amazing! If it wasn't so expensive, I would totally use it since I have 2 "desks" I have a desk for my other tasks along with a station for a computer right next to it. It would be quite awkward to use a regular ball and move back and forth between the two as needed! That's awesome though!
  • buggials
    Options
    I think I'm going to have to try it well first clear it with my bosses and then try it...I work for the state they are anal when it comes to office furniture and what we can use.
  • dino1147
    Options
    So I have my ball at my desk today, my goal is at least one hour per day. It's a little tough as I keep wanting to put weight on my feet to stabilize myself instead of using my core. But I'm working on it!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    dino1147, did you get measured for the ball or did you measure your desk? If not, how did you pick out what height to buy for your desk? Thanks!
  • dino1147
    Options
    My husband bought me the Danskin set at Kmart, with the ball, two tension bands and two small weighted balls. When I first sat on it, I was a little low, so I had my guys in the shop add more air to make it firmer and it actually was just right. I'm back in my chair now and plan to keep at it!