Pedometers

Options
Ive heard of pedometers that count your steps but is there anything that is reasonably priced that tracks heart beat and calories burned?

Replies

• gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    if you have a smart phone...there is an app for that! also, I pods have a GREAT pedometer .just plug in ear buds, hit go and throw it in a pocket...tiny thing that measures every step during the day!
  • kristy6ward
    kristy6ward Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    A device that tracks your heart rate and gives an estimate of calories burned is called a Heart Rate Monitor, you might see them referred to on here as a HRM. There are a variety of brands that offer these. Once that use a chest strap transmitter with a watch band display are said to be more accurate for calorie burns because it constantly monitors your heart rate. HRM's that are only a watch require you to take your own pulse periodically and therefore can only average your heart rate out for a calorie burn.

Polar is a very good brand of HRM. If you go to their site, you can see a comparison of their various models and decide which might work best for your needs.

If your exercise is primarily step based, like walking or running, you might want to look into an activity tracker like the fitbit one. It tracks steps, stairs climbed, sleep and will give you a close estimate of how many calories you burned over the course of an entire day. The free website they offer displays all this information it's collected in easy to understand graphics that works in conjunction with your mfp food logging.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Most heart rate monitors are not designed to be worn all day. Get a basic pedometer (Fitbit zip etc), which will give you your steps and the battery will last for months.
    Use a different device for when your're at the gym.
    Use MyFitnessPal to combine the data. Done.

If you're looking for the holy grail 1 device that does everything you'll be disappointed. Here's one i was previously interested in;
    http://www.mybasis.com/
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For cheap it would be really hard to get something that would do everything you want. I would save (if you can) and get a next generation of Fitbits or Jawbones that come out. The current ones have no HRMs but my Fitbit gives me a pretty accurate calorie burn.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    No.

There are heart rate monitors that track your heart rate and then have an algorithm that takes a guess at your calories. People here think they are gods gift, but they are no more accurate than any online calorie calculator and they have all kinds of flaws. For instance, they only work for steady state cardio, you can't walk around all day with one. It will be extremely inaccurate.

What you want is something like a body media or fitbit or something like that, where those are very advanced pedometers that keep track off all kinds of things, even your sleep patterns.

Yes. Garmin Vivofit has HRM capability.
  • LizaGetz
    LizaGetz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The Garmin Vivo Fit works as a pedometer, and when you use a chest strap, it functions as an HRM.
  • LizaGetz
    LizaGetz Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If you just want an HRM, the FT4 is popular and dependable.