What can I use to make foods flavorful? (low Sodium intake)

Options
I hate that everything has so much sodium! My fiance needs to have a lower sodium diet do to his weight and health issues. We have a very low budget (Low budget as in recently laid off and job hunting and living with family for the time being) and he is very picky if something isn't flavorful enough.

Also he is rather stubborn with water (which I believe is needed to helps sodium levels?). He hates the taste of it and will only drink about six cups tops on a good day (most days are 0 - 3). When it comes to food there isn't much that he doesn't like, it just needs to be flavorful (though what he dubs flavorful tends to be loaded with sodium (Like eating a whole box of Velveeta mac n cheese)).

Anyways what I'm looking for is healthy low sodium dressings, sauces, spice combinations, and other combinations of food that are "flavorful" (and affordable).

Also does exercising help sodium levels? We just started taking hour walks, however other than the activity level is rather low.

Replies

• ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    If there is a Trader Joe's near you they have a seasoning-21 seasoning salute (no salt) and its yummy on everything from veggies to meats.
    If using canned foods such as beans etc rinse well before use to get rid of the sodium sauce it sits in.

As for other sauces etc you will have to make from scratch to avoid the salt that is pretty high in most processed foods.

You can counter extra sodium intake by drinking more water-flavor it with lemon (my fav) or other fruits etc so its not just plain water but still healthy.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Garlic

and other spices if you must.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I hate that everything has so much sodium! My fiance needs to have a lower sodium diet do to his weight and health issues. We have a very low budget (Low budget as in recently laid off and job hunting and living with family for the time being) and he is very picky if something isn't flavorful enough.

Also he is rather stubborn with water (which I believe is needed to helps sodium levels?). He hates the taste of it and will only drink about six cups tops on a good day (most days are 0 - 3). When it comes to food there isn't much that he doesn't like, it just needs to be flavorful (though what he dubs flavorful tends to be loaded with sodium (Like eating a whole box of Velveeta mac n cheese)).

Anyways what I'm looking for is healthy low sodium dressings, sauces, spice combinations, and other combinations of food that are "flavorful" (and affordable).

Also does exercising help sodium levels? We just started taking hour walks, however other than the activity level is rather low.

You can get a kilo of MSG at asian markets for a few bucks, will last for a very long time
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Have him add flavoring to his water. And you can really make it lasts too. What I do is buy boxes of those small flavoring packets that intended for just a water bottle. I put two into a 2 quart container, fill up with water. That's for Hubby's benefit. I water it down even further by filling my glass half with water and half with the flavored stufff. Lasts quite a while that way!

Exercise won't help much with sodium levels unless you're doing some major endurance work. Taking nightly walks is good for your health though so keep it up!

For spices, I mostly use herbs (basil, oregano, etc). For broth, I get the Herb-Ox Sodium Free beef/chicken bouillon packets. Use frozen veg without sauces rather than canned. For anything else, go with the low sodium versions if you can. And as someone else said, try making your own food most of the time. Pretty much anythng pre-made is going to be chock full of sodium. There are even natural culprits like eggs and tomatoes.

Add sodium to your food log - it'll help you keep track assuming you two eat the same things.

Good luck!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I'm not all that knowledgeable in this area, but my husband and I try to keep a good handle on our sodium so we buy Hunt's "no salt added" canned tomato sauce. He discovered it when his mom was dying of terminal cancer because it is one of the only sauces that doesn't include garlic, but it turned out to be excellent for almost anything that uses tomato based sauce (pasta dishes, pizza, etc). We generally dress it up with garlic, sautéed onion or peppers, and any other spices like basil, oregano, basically whatever you like. It has drastically less sodium than say, Ragu pasta sauce.

Canned vegetables are something to avoid. Fresh food, particularly produce, is the best option. But I understand price and storage can be a concern...so even opting for frozen vegetables (still cheap!) is generally a FAR better option when you are watching your sodium.

Try to stay away from boxes of food like Velveeta mac n' cheese, Hamburger Helper, etc. You can make similar stuff on your own. If you bake at all and use "regular" salted butter or margarine, you generally don't need to add the salt that a recipe calls for. I know that is easier said than done especially if he really likes things of that nature. But you can honestly do a lot to stay within sodium each day even if you just stay away from fast food places and restaurant food...and it sounds like you guys are doing that anyway out of necessity, so perhaps it can become a good sign to all of this and you will be out of that bad habit a little bit!

I get that some people just don't care for water but he really needs to drink plenty of it, and juices/soda are probably out since he has weight concerns. How about unsweetened tea? Also, could it possibly be an issue of how he likes his water? I know I like it refrigerator cold but no ice. Some like it ice cold, or lukewarm, or with a certain very specific type of ice. I know that is such a long shot...but for me the fact that it generally came in a huge glass filled with ice cubes was my #1 reason I didn't usually drink water at restaurants and other places, and therefore I was not in the habit of drinking it at home either.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    One thing that I really like to use are the sodium free spice mixes. Mrs Dash, McCormick. Using fresh herbs that you like. We have cut way back on sodium consumption. Using fresh vegetables if at all possible. Frozen are good as well. Canned items have sodium/and/or sugar added usually, so you have to read labels. There are lower sodium canned foods (like beans) and if you rinse them well you can lower the sodium. Sodium and sugar are added to everything. Even frozen boneless, skinless, chicken breasts have added sodium.

If you make your own sauces, salad dressings you can control the sodium content.
  • hitsnooze
    hitsnooze Posts: 79
    Options
    potassium chloride *****es. it tastes like do-do in my opinion but in food you can't really tell.

also garlic, i'm all over that
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Experiment with basalmic vinegar. Tastes very salty to me but no sodium. I steam vegetables with it all the time.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I buy spices from a local guy here in upstate NY, a lot of his products are sugar free, sodium free and msg free and they are the best spices I have ever had in my life. (Not paid to say this lol)

I rarely use anything else now since finding his spice blends and I do still buy garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper and cinnamon but other than that I don't need anything as his blends are just so creative and cover almost any type of meal you want to make. Simple just sprinkled on meat or veggies, or made into whatever dish you are creating.

google

kitchenkickn or tomarc's of troy

These are based near Albany NY, homemade hand blended spices. I have sent these as holiday and birthday gifts to family and friends and they love them. NOPE I am not affiliated or make no claim on these or anything from recommending this, I just am a huge fan who uses these spices and cant rave enough about them.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Garlic

this was exactly what I was going to say.

and bacon... although with the sodium.

I love bacon everything- they do have low sodium versions.
  • UnicornDragonBattle
    Options
    I like to use cayenne or garlic. I think a little spicy flavoring is a good alternative.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle basil and ground pepper when I make home made (baked) french fries or potato wedges, and they come out amazing. You can get the seasoning to stick with water, no need to use oil. I bake chicken with rosemary, parsley and sage and I love how that comes out too... I am sure I go over on my sodium in the day (though I don't track it) but when we cook we very rarely use salt. I agree with home-making things like mac 'n' cheese, if you know how to make a roux, you can make the cheese sauce a LOT more substantial and flavourful without the salt. I like the onion/garlic powders because sometimes you want the flavour of onion/garlic without the lumps of it in your food.

Though at the end of the day, all you can do is all you can do. If your husband turns his nose up at low-sodium solutions and doesn't want to do what it takes for his health issues, then there really isn't much more you can do than offer him the option.
  • ublanchard
    Options
    Adding acid perks things up and it they type of thing chefs do to elevate flavor. I use lemon or lime juice, apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar. Another tip when you're cooking is to brown something in the dish. Either meat, or browned tomato paste or caramelized onions. That makes a good depth of flavor. I like sprinkling fresh parsley as a garnish when I'm done cooking. I have a parsley plant that I got for less than $3, which is the cost of two bunches of parsley and it'll live for at least a year.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Stay away from canned foods.

There are a ton of spices and spice blends that do not have salt.

Drinking more water would help, but that sounds like a lost battle already.
  • AntiSocialyte
    AntiSocialyte Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Garlic

THIS. Garlic makes everything better.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    At most health food stores and many grocery stores too you will find a multi use spice called Spike in a sodium free version. He may take to that.
  • motofairy
    motofairy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I use lemon/lime juice or different vinegars if I'm avoiding salt.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Most herbs and spices.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Flavor: as someone already said, spices but the new growing season is upon us! Plant an herb garden in a pot, on your porch etc. Pick the stems when ready: I tie them together and hang them in my dining room to dry completely. Then crumble them on waxpaper and store in clean jars in my spice cupboard. I can tell you that oregano from last summer still tastes 5 times more flavorful than what you buy in the store.

As for flavoring in liguids: Brew your own decaf ice tea. I use raspberry bags one pot and then the next time I use mint or lemon or orange etc....flavored ice tea: no sugar but that is my choice. I also drink flavored seltzer water when I want something bubbly, no sugar or anything bad in that. Cranberry lime, black cherry....refreshing on a hot day!
  • nannymarty04
    nannymarty04 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump:happy: