Birth Control Questions

Options
faithNlove212
faithNlove212 Posts: 203 Member
I have tried several birth controls. I was on the pill for years, then had the IUD & had it taken out due to too much blood loss, then I had the shot & stopped it after a few months because it was giving me terrible migranes. I HATE the pill! Remembering to take it is ridiculous even if I set an alarm on my phone. Because I skipped more then 3 pills this past month, my doctor had me stop taking it & cannot start back up until my next set of pills which is in 2 weeks. We are not planning on another child for a few years. So I need to be on some sort of birth control besides condoms.

Any other Birth Controls out there that any of you use? My brothers gf uses the Nuva Ring but im alittle terrified of it idk why. I had issues with the IUD so im wondering if I would have issues with the Nuva Ring.

Replies

• cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who loves the patch. I take the pill and I just take the pill before I go to bed (just incorporate it into my bedtime routine).
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Before I was banned from hormonal birth control, I tried the NuvaRing. It was comfortable and I didn't have any problems with it at all. It was also nice because you don't have to remember it every day, just once a month.

Other than that, there's not too many options out there. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of IUD did you have before? I bled for about 10 weeks with my Mirena, but since then I've only had 2 periods and they were like the kind I used to get on the pill, not too bad. But I know it affects everyone differently.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to find a BC that works for you!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Bump for answer since I was concidering this as well when I got to my doctor appointment this month. I have had too many close calls because of forgetting that everyday pill!!!
  • faithNlove212
    faithNlove212 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Before I was banned from hormonal birth control, I tried the NuvaRing. It was comfortable and I didn't have any problems with it at all. It was also nice because you don't have to remember it every day, just once a month.

Other than that, there's not too many options out there. If you don't mind my asking, what kind of IUD did you have before? I bled for about 10 weeks with my Mirena, but since then I've only had 2 periods and they were like the kind I used to get on the pill, not too bad. But I know it affects everyone differently.

Good luck. I know how hard it is to find a BC that works for you!

I had the Mirena also. I bled heavy for about 3-4 months. I had it taken out & was in the hospital for a few days trying to get my energy back from being so weak.
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I need to find something other than the pill. I'm looking for something more permanent though. I will never go back on the shot!
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Get him snipped. I stepped down that path and couldn't be happier. :)
  • sarahricks
    sarahricks Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had the nuva ring and really liked it. I could never remember to take a pill every day. It's nothing really like a IUD.
    I also had the paraguard IUD which I really liked but it's pricey. It doesn't have any hormones which I really liked.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I've got my tubes tied now but had a Copper IUD put in after the birth of my son and when he was 4 months old found out I was PG with my now 4 year old daughter. :laugh:

I loved the patch between my oldest and my son but now I've heard they are causing some issues with blood clots and such.

Good luck on your quest.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have the Mirena and am in LOVE with it. I know a lot of people that have had problems with it though. Personally, I would not suggest the ring. I got pregnant while using it(and yes, I was using it correctly) as did a friend of mine.

I've heard the patch can be pretty good, or Implanon(I think that's what it's called). It's something that they place in your arm.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    How long did you have your IUD in for? I had very heavy periods for 3 or 4 months, but after that it settled down and its no heavier now than before I had it. Might be worth givin it another try?
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am really good with my pills so I stick with those and I had a few say the patch doesn't stay put and makes their skin very irritated.

But I have several girlfriends who use the ring and love it. I did pills for a few years and then tried the shots. I gained an insane amount of weight and got back on the pill. When I did though, my gyno helped me put in the ring a few times to see if I liked it. It was really comfortable and easy to put in and take out. Seems like that may be your best bet!
  • karot32
    Options
    Nuva Ring shouldn't cause bleeding like IUD does. The patch is something similar but you change that one once a week. Have you research BC implant? It's a little tube that is put under your skin and lasts for 3 years... I'm not sure about the potential side effects for that one though.

As for remembering your pill, I have many friends who set an alarm on their phone to go off every day at a specific time. When it goes off they take their pill and that way they remember to take it every day and also take it at the same time every day which makes it more effective.
  • Tabs_A
    Tabs_A Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    NuvaRing is great! You don't have to worry about bleeding from it since it just slips inside you. I've been using for a few years and love it. If you find it uncomfortable during sex you can take it out, but I haven't had that problem. I would suggest giving it a try, some people I know have had issues with it staying in. I have also tried the patch because I knew I wouldn't be able to consistently remember to take the pill. The patch was ok, but I had issues with it peeling up and getting fuzzies from cloths etc sticking to the edges. I would really suggest trying NuvaRing, I recommend it to alot of people.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I couldn't remember the pill either and went on NuvaRing. Low hormone and you can't really forget to take it. It isn't like an IUD - the ring sits in the vaginal canal instead of the uterus. So I wouldn't be scared of it.

I absolutely love the ring. I don't have to remember to take a pill, but I have the flexibility to skip my period if I want to like you can with the pill. And it's not the massive hormone dose of the patch.

The only "downside" - you have to be comfortable with yourself. Oh, and there isn't a generic like the pill so it's more expensive (but I think it's worth the cost).
  • punkin_793
    Options
    I am using the implanon and absolutely LOVE it!!!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the nuva ring might be your only option.

I did do a bit of research on the implanon (sp?) but I didn't like the idea. It might be something for you to look into.

With not being able to remember the pill, the natural family planning method might not be too effective for you as you have to chart and pay attention to your body all the time. However, it can be effective if you want to look into that. Adding condoms into that mix might be a good way to avoid getting pregnant until you are ready again.
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I use Implanon. Its a small rod they insert in your arm. I LOVE IT! its good for 3 years. the only thing is, i forget its there and when i accidently touch it, i freak out!
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I hated the pill since I couldn't remember to take it. The shot made me gain 20 lbs... and I only took it once! Never again. I tried Nuva ring but the hubby ended up pulling it out on accident every time we had sex and I could always feel it during sex... not fun. The ring also gave me terrible migraines so that was the end of that. Haven't found anything worthwhile yet but I also haven't been on BC for 2 years now (no condoms either) and haven't gotten pregnant again so I guess I'm safe for now lol.
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you. I'm struggling with brith control options as well.
  • emma44ny
    emma44ny Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I had my Mirena removed in early November and it was the best decision I ever made. I instantly felt 100X better despite the fact that it took 2 weeks to regain any energy from the amount of blood/ iron loss suffered. And I'm anemic to boot! Any who I have a friend who does the whole NuvaRing dealie and she swears by it. I have yet to try it myself, as we have just decided to throw caution to the wind for now. I waited until it was the absolute earliest time that I would even CONSIDER getting pregnant again to have the Mirena out so here we are... good luck and you should let us know how whatever you decide, goes!