Coworkers not sure if you've lost weight yet....

Options
So I have now lost almost 20 pounds since February. I have been getting compliments on 'looking good' at work, none weightloss specific. I think people are wondering if I lost weight but are not sure yet so they don't want to ask, just giving me prolonged checkouts. I am finding it amusing and I do not want to come out and announce my loss just yet. It does make me feel good even if they do not realize they are doing it.

Anyone else been at this point and enjoyed it?

At what point did people start giving you specific weight loss compliments?

Replies

• fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    people do notice , trust me lol ... get used to hear " waoo you look really good today " quite often LOL
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    So I have now lost almost 20 pounds since February. I have been getting compliments on 'looking good' at work, none weightloss specific. I think people are wondering if I lost weight but are not sure yet so they don't want to ask, just giving me prolonged checkouts. I am finding it amusing and I do not want to come out and announce my loss just yet. It does make me feel good even if they do not realize they are doing it.

Anyone else been at this point and enjoyed it?

At what point did people start giving you specific weight loss compliments?

Not everyone is going to say something. A reality is some people don't care about your or even notice your success. We tend to assume that other people care about our accomplishments, but often they don't.
  • goldenbeautyxo
    goldenbeautyxo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First of all, CONGRATS to your weight loss and feeling great!
    I have experienced this recently since I just went out and got a few new clothes that are my new size now :D When I wore one of my new jeans, a co-worker said "cute jeans" as I walked by. I said "THANKS! A SIZE SMALLER! WOOTWOOT!!!" lol I'm just excited :)

I've also gotten the whole "hey you need to stop losing weight, your getting to skinny" my reply "umm yeah i actually havn't 'lost weight' I'm at the same weight I've always been, I've just lost some excess body fat -_- "
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. People I work with know what I'm up to. Its obvious when I close my door at lunch time to jog in place at my desk (watching Netflix), or weigh food on the postage scale! So I get some comments, as they don't have that fear of saying the wrong thing!
  • ultrafishboy
    ultrafishboy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when noone has said anything I feel like, "Do I really look to others 30 pounds heavier like I used to?" Then the self doubt creeps in. Frumpy.

It is amusing, the looks. They just can't seem to figure out what is different. The comments started coming at a 27 lb weightloss about 3 weeks ago.
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm in about the same spot - 20ish lbs down since February. Yesterday was the first day one of the ladies in my office actually said, "Are you losing weight? You look great." It was nice. I've just been enjoying wearing some of my work clothes I haven't worn in a couple of years, and not worrying about my arms looking like overstuffed sausages or my shirt pulling against the buttons.
  • spikrgrl503
    spikrgrl503 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm down 14 and nobody has said anything. On my 6' frame it doesnt seem/feel like a lot
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Depends on the environment... a lot of workplaces have it hammered into our heads that commenting on another person's appearance at all is a very, very dicey area :explode: and so a lot of people probably avoid it altogether. Also, those that are saying something but not weight-specific, mean the compliment but since weight can also be said very, very dicey area they are being careful how they say it. :happy: And congratulations on the loss!
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    When you purchase the smaller size clothes and then wear them - the weightloss comments drop like rain.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    I'd say the compliments (weight loss specific) came around the 25 pound mark. Now at the 50 pound mark (and lack of funds to support the weight loss ie the new clothes budget), I'm getting more reminders to get clothes that fit. At the moment that means a pair of pants, or a skirt, or a shirt from the thrift store every few weeks.

I will say they do notice. Enjoy it all (the looks and uncertainty to the outright compliments) and congrats on the weight loss.
  • bekim123
    bekim123 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Duckling hit it on the head. Especially opposite sex co-workers...don't want to get accused of harassing someone. Also, people who see you every day won't notice the gradual change as much as someone who doesn't see you that often.
  • RhysJ13
    RhysJ13 Posts: 72
    Options
    I lost like 18lbs at my old job and no-one said anything! Then, someone else came up and said that she'd lost 2lbs on SW (I'm sorry, but if I was her size I could lose that much just by peeing) and everyone was falling over themselves to say how she was looking like she lost weight. LIES.

OK that turned into a bit of a rant. Sorry about that...
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    They'll notice!
    Before I dropped a more significant amount of weight, I got a lot of the "you look good today" stuff. Granted, I work in healthcare, so scrubs are not exactly flattering and/or form-fitting. For me, it wasn't until I recently bought my second "new" size down in scrubs for my coworkers to REALLY notice. My favorite so far was a couple of weeks ago when my coworker made the comment, "I'm saying in the most non-creepy way that I can, but DAMN GIRL YOU LOOK GOOD!" lol

Keep it up. They'll notice, and it'll feel pretty fabulous when they do comment.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I know in my office people tend to be afraid because traditionally weight loss has gone hand in hand with family tragedy or sickness, they order out everyday, sometimes twice (breakfast and lunch) no one really tries to lost any, I think if anything they are fearful that I've lost not because i'm trying, but because something happened.

the few that know what i'm up to, because i haven't been ordering or eating garbage have begun to comment recently.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Trust me I know what you mean, same thing here, but in today’s society when you can get in trouble for just about anything you say or do at work, people are just sometimes afraid to say anything. Trust me people are noticing, you can't loss 20 pounds without folks taken notice. You just keep on doing what your doing and take your NSV's in fitting in those jeans you ain't fit in in a long time.
    Oh and congratulations on you loss you look great!
    V/r,
    DW.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I got the "looking good" compliments after losing 20 lbs ...... as I lost more, I was asked more specific weight-loss questions ...... when I acknowledged that I was purposely losing weight, several of the women I worked with got MAD at me because I had gone "on a diet" without letting them know, saying they would have started along with me :laugh:
  • Whosyergurl
    Options
    I usually find people don't notice your weight loss until you are at 10% or more. And, people like to see people fat rather than skinny. Especially if they are overweight, themselves. I've been fat & I've been skinny (this is my 3rd time to lose it) and some WOMEN aren't too keen on other women losing. Enjoy the ride for yourself. They are noticing even if they aren't mentioning it.
    Cheryl
  • anallydiaz
    anallydiaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am sure they have noticed, they are just not sure if it is ok to ask. I have lost 45lbs so far and I have had people at work tell me "Can I ask you something? Have you lost weight? You look great!". I have obviously lost weight, and they know it, but you can tell they are hesitant to just talk about it.
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Duckling hit it on the head. Especially opposite sex co-workers...don't want to get accused of harassing someone. Also, people who see you every day won't notice the gradual change as much as someone who doesn't see you that often.

Yay! I helped! :bigsmile:

I did just remember several years ago when I dropped a fair amount of weight, plenty of the women at work were very encouraging and open in their compliments, but the men more or less kept their mouths shut for obvious reasons. But there was one of the Sales Managers (wicked cool guy and the office wiseass) who made it a point to give me this long "Please bear in mind that I mean this in no rude, intimidating, threatening, harassing or offensive manner whatsoever" disclaimer before finishing up with, "But I just wanted to say with all sincerity, you look terrific." :bigsmile:

Which he quickly followed with, "And if it offended you that I said that, then I take it all back, you look atrocious and I must now remove myself from the sight of you. But you may slap me first if necessary." Had me in stitches the rest of the day. :laugh:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people really don't want to get specific because weight is such a touchy subject. Especially in the workplace. They feel it is more 'pc' probably, to say "you're looking great!" than "Wow, so how much weight have you lost?"