Thanks for not killing me!

Options
digitalbill
digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
I was driving home last night. It was a bit after 8:00 PM and it was a light rain.
I was on Hypoluxo road. It is a 6 lane road with a 45 MPH speed limit.
I was in the far right lane in the Jeep when I saw a car just stopped in the right lane.
No lights or hazards or anything.
Remember, nighttime and raining.
I was able to get over in time and narrowly missed hitting the car.
I considered just driving home but, my conscious got the better of me.
I pulled a U turn, got past the car, made another u-turn and pulled in behind the stopped car. It was a new beetle.
I hit my hazard lights and called the police.
As I was on the phone with dispatch, a young woman approached the car with a gas can.
I told dispatch what was going on and I got out of the Jeep to help her.
She was obviously a bit scared of me (I am kind of big) but, she was also having a lot of trouble.
I asked her why she didn't have her hazards on.
She said she kept trying to turn them on but they didn't work.
To prove it, she hit "the button". It turns out, she was hitting her window defroster button.
I reached in and turned on her hazard lights for her.
Problem 1 solved.
Next, she had just purchased a 12 dollar gas can and put a gallon of gas in it.
Well, she somehow screwed up and when she went to pour the fuel in, the top came off and a gallon of gas hit the floor.
This poor girl was just exasperated.
I took the can and put it in the Jeep and had her hop in.
She was getting more comfortable with me.
We drove to the gas station (about a half mile up the road) and she filled the can again.
I tried to buy a funnel but, they didn't have any so, I took a paper coffee cup with me.
Back to her car and once again, the stupid gas nozzle wasn’t working (it had some kind of a lock that was broken in the "closed" position.)
I punched a hole in the bottom of the cup and set it on top of the fuel filler.
I took out my Leatherman and pushed it thru the hole in the cup to hold open the fuel door flapper.
I took the nozzle off and dumped the fuel into the cup which went into the tank.
She started the car (finally) and her parting words were "Thanks for not killing me!"
My good deed for the week I suppose.

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Glad you didn't kill her!!! Lol! :flowerforyou:
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If "not killing someone" is a good deed, I guess I am a saint!

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing.

P.S. Did you say "You're welcome!"?
  • ElizabethElane
    ElizabethElane Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Sounds like that was entertaining
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I know this is a funny story but it is super depressing that women do so constantly fear being killed by men. A fear that is sadly totally founded.

though you're more likely to be killed by a man you're close to than a stranger on the road!

good on you for helping her out and maybe the fact that this is what was goes through some women's heads when you slow down to help will make more men appreciate the privilege of feeling safe when they're out alone that they have!
  • lucille_heather
    lucille_heather Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Awww thats so sweet bless you both!!
  • law110
    law110 Posts: 43
    Options
    Hero!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Nicely done! :drinker:
  • figueirt
    figueirt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great on you for helping her out! On a side note, she is very lucky you were paying attention to your driving and didn't plow into her unlit car. Things could have gotten seriously worse for her.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You sir are a gentleman and a scholar!
    Great tale, made me smile :smile:
  • digitalbill
    Options
    Great on you for helping her out! On a side note, she is very lucky you were paying attention to your driving and didn't plow into her unlit car. Things could have gotten seriously worse for her.
    Actually, things would have gotten seriously worse for ME.
    She wasn't in the car the first time I made it past it. I would have hammered an empty car at speed.

The only thing I thought of was that if I just drove home and someone else hit the car and got hurt or killed, I would feel terrible about it.
    I really only intended to sit there as a warning until the cops showed up.
  • ScorpionQwean
    ScorpionQwean Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, great story and good Karma is on its way to you :)
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Great story! The whole time I was wondering where the title came from.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    good on you...in this day and age, your lucky she didn't have a 10000v taser and you waking up chained to a radiator in her basement screaming "it puts the lotion on its skin!"
  • tapirfrog
    tapirfrog Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Good God, she didn't know where her hazard lights were? AAAAAUGH
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I know this is a funny story but it is super depressing that women do so constantly fear being killed by men. A fear that is sadly totally founded.

Such bull****. Not every man - or even anything but a small minority of men - want to kill anyone.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Such bull****. Not every man - or even anything but a small minority of men - want to kill anyone.

did I say "all men are murderers"? no.
    but man on woman violence is a leading cause of death for women
    so it's not bull it's a rational fear
    and it's one most women have when going places alone at night
  • digitalbill
    Options

it is a double edged sword.
    Movies, television, and other outlets will show the "bad guy" as a dangerous rapist or killer.
    The news never shows guys like me, instead, it shows guys like Ted Bundy.
    These things can very easily make someone think twice about being in a vunerable situation with a man she doesn't know.
    Toss in darkness and rain and I can see where a 20 something year old, 115 LB woman would be a bit afraid of dealing with a 250 LB man hopping out of a 4X4.
    Now, even my friends say that I look intimidating. These are people who know me. It is a look that I have tried to soften by wearing golf type shirts.
    I have never seen any killers in movies wearing golf shirts.
    It is a tough decision for anyone to make. I am sure she was weighing the odds and, she was also texting someone. Maybe she was texting the make and model of the Jeep "just in case".
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1635092

By that logic, I should be afraid of men killing me, too.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I too, am grateful you didn't decide to kill her. :laugh: