What Protein Powder do you recommend?

Options
I am currently using Max Muscles brand of MaxPro Protein Powder (http://www.maxmusclestoreonline.com/maxpro_banana_4lbs/) I have had both their chocolate and banana and both are very tasty and mix great with just plain water. However, I feel it is very expensive so I am looking for a more reasonable priced protein powder. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• lastchance2010
    lastchance2010 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've tried so many different kinds I can't even tell you. It never left me satisfied or tasted gritty or left my stomach in knots, so I gave up trying. I started drinking Shakeology from beach body and it's really been the only thing that has given me more energy, been kind to my tummy and tastes pretty good. It seems to have curbed my cravings for sweet/salty things or it could just be because I'm eating better and working out too. Hope your find what works best for ya. Take care. :smile:
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    I was using Rivalus Promasil which is $110 for 4 lbs (ridiculous)

I'm also looking for a new protein. I just ordered from True Nutrition - $50 for 4 lbs. Low carb/fat and 27g of protein.

I've also heard good things about Cellucor and Optimum Nutrition but they run about $65 for 4 lb tubs and they offer 24-25 g of protein - fairly low carb/low fat as well.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I like Optimum Nutrition. Recently switched to mixing it with almond milk instead of dairy out of curiosity, and find it sits lighter on my stomach.
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use Stronger Faster Healthier products because they have few carbs http://www.sfh.com/
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress from Walmart.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I order Bluebonnet Whey Isolate or Dual Action (Whey and Casein). I like the taste (French vanilla and Chocolate) and they blend pretty well. I also get the individual packs for travel
  • milik617
    milik617 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I enjoy isopure protein powder! Very low carbs and a ton of protein.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I'm using ARO Whey Protein Complex with Natural Chocolate from Vitacost. It's tastes good and mixes well with water. It does not mix so well with Almond Milk.

Whatever you use, make sure it's Whey, and it makes up 40%+ of your total protein intake. Optimal for muscle building and fat loss.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/02/protein-power-study-suggests-40-is.html

"Bottom line: The beneficial metabolic effects the addition of 40% whey protein isolate to a highly obesogenic baseline diet produced in the study at hand are remarkable and highly specific. "Specific", in that they don't occur with "an increase in protein intake".

In other words, the anti-obesogenic, anti-diabetic and anti-hyperlipidemic effects occurred not in response to "any type and amount of additional protein" that was added on top of what can be considered a model of a high fat version of the Western Diet. The previously discussed benefits were observed only, when this protein was whey protein and comprised a whopping 40% of the total energy intake of the rodents. The casein-based diets, as well as diets with lower amounts of whey protein isolate were ineffective, or - as you can see in Figure 3 - they "clustered together and away from the 40% WPI group", whose body weight - and this unquestionably quite remarkable - was hardly different from that of those 10 mice who were fed a regular, low fat diet for the whole 21-week study period."
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm using ARO Whey Protein Complex with Natural Chocolate from Vitacost. It's tastes good and mixes well with water. It does not mix so well with Almond Milk.

Whatever you use, make sure it's Whey, and it makes up 40%+ of your total protein intake. Optimal for muscle building and fat loss.

http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/02/protein-power-study-suggests-40-is.html

"Bottom line: The beneficial metabolic effects the addition of 40% whey protein isolate to a highly obesogenic baseline diet produced in the study at hand are remarkable and highly specific. "Specific", in that they don't occur with "an increase in protein intake".

In other words, the anti-obesogenic, anti-diabetic and anti-hyperlipidemic effects occurred not in response to "any type and amount of additional protein" that was added on top of what can be considered a model of a high fat version of the Western Diet. The previously discussed benefits were observed only, when this protein was whey protein and comprised a whopping 40% of the total energy intake of the rodents. The casein-based diets, as well as diets with lower amounts of whey protein isolate were ineffective, or - as you can see in Figure 3 - they "clustered together and away from the 40% WPI group", whose body weight - and this unquestionably quite remarkable - was hardly different from that of those 10 mice who were fed a regular, low fat diet for the whole 21-week study period."

Interesting link. Will read when I can focus. Thanks.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate and Banana Cream are both great. Mix with water and it's fine, mix with milk and it's delicious. I like to mix the flavors together too. It's about half the price of what you're paying now.

Trutein is also good; check out their website. The Cinnabun and banana from them are my favorite.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Currently drinking ON, Gold Standard. i will probably switch back to the muscletech phase8 when done. ON is good and mixes decent. the phase8 is the best i have tried yet as far taste and mixology. for a little more $ i would like to switch back. i have also tried cellucor and trutein. both were decent. phase8 wins out.