Why do I feel sort of stoned and tingly?

Options
I lost weight last year, fell off the wagon over the winter and put 10lbs back on, I've started eating healthily again just this week, been exercising lightly (cycling - nothing too strenuous just building my fitness back up slowly) and drinking a few glasses of water. Sticking to around 1400 calories (I'm a 42 year old female) 5ft 7 and weigh 150lbs. I've been eating salad, fruit, oats, quorn, avocado, eggs, flax seeds etc so I'm pretty sure I'm eating well.
The question is why do I feel slightly stoned? I don't know how to describe it but my eyes feel a bit buzzy and my cheeks are tingly all the time.
Why is this? I'm certain it's linked to my healthier eating, just wondering what's going on inside. Some kind of detox effect?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    My guess is allergies
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I would go to a doctor just in case. It doesn't exactly sound like a positive change, does it? Go get it checked it! You never know.
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Did you feel like this the last time you lost weight? If not I would think about seeing a doctor.
  • StephVa22
    StephVa22 Posts: 28
    Options
    You could have developed an allergy to something you are eating.
  • Sobus76
    Sobus76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I get that feeling when im dehydrated, are you taking in enough fluids?
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel like that. Talk to a doctor.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Is somone spiking your food?
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd go see my doctor. I get a 'stoned' feeling, my vision goes a bit funny and I get pins & needles in my lips when my blood sugar drops though.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Could be low blood sugar. When I don't eat enough, I start losing the ability to concentrate (fuzzy eyes) and my mouth (more specifically tounge) starts to feel numb. After I eat, the symptoms go away.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    ask_doctor_box.gif
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone it certainly doesn't feel like I need to seea doctor but the low blood sugar would make total sense andi could be slightly dehydrated.that's great thank you very much.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone it certainly doesn't feel like I need to seea doctor but the low blood sugar would make total sense andi could be slightly dehydrated.that's great thank you very much.
    why would you be dehydrated? Have you been sick? Feeling stoned is not normal and to me warrants a doctor visit, (I'm a nurse). I don't get why you think healthy eating has done this? Why would your blood sugar be low? Are you not eating? If you are eating your calories and eating healthy food why would you be dehydrated or low blood sugar?
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

Healthy people don't get low blood sugar levels. Don't come here complaining about a medical problem, then reject people's suggestion that you seek legitimate medical advice.
  • CrystalQ222
    CrystalQ222 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Healthy people don't get low blood sugar levels. Don't come here complaining about a medical problem, then reject people's suggestion that you seek legitimate medical advice.

She's not rejecting it. She said thank you and I'm sure she's going to drink more water and make sure her blood sugar level stays up. How is that rejecting it. She's gonna take peoples advice on that. I'm sure if that doesn't work she'll go see a doctor. Smh people always trying to find something out of nothing to fight and bicker about.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Actually, healthy people can get low blood sugar. You can be very slightly hypoglycemic and not test positive for anything on the blood labs, but exhibit low blood sugar syptoms like these occassionally.
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

She's not rejecting it. She said thank you and I'm sure she's going to drink more water and make sure her blood sugar level stays up. How is that rejecting it. She's gonna take peoples advice on that. I'm sure if that doesn't work she'll go see a doctor. Smh people always trying to find something out of nothing to fight and bicker about.

Not my problem if there is something wrong. Many of us suggested the OP sees a doctor. If the OP rather self-diagnose, I don't care.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Have you eaten a brownie given to you by a stranger in the last 45 minutes? Stop doing that! :laugh:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Not my problem if there is something wrong. Many of us suggested the OP sees a doctor. If the OP rather self-diagnose, I don't care.

I am seeing a pattern here. I'm out.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor, please. It could be anything from allergies to sugar issues, and it even the fact that you are eating too few calories for your height and weight.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Did you smoke something? If so, congrats, you're doing it right.

If no.... see a doctor

Eta: or check webmd, they have this nice symptom checker for us self diagnosers