Very Lazy Girl Trying to get her Butt in Shape!

Options
mckenzie
mckenzie Posts: 21 Member
Hi I'm McKenzie and I am a very lazy girl! All the Netflix marathons and extra helpings of desserts and chips are starting to catch up to me and I've made a personal resolution to get myself back into shape. I haven't seriously worked out since high school and that was over 6 years ago now... at this point even a short jog around the block would probably leave me incapacitated. I started the 30 Day Shred a little over a week ago and so far haven't seen huge results, but am sticking to it because I can feel my endurance increasing. My goal is to lose between 10-20 lbs and keep it off. Looking for people to keep me honest so I don't slip back into my old slothy routines!!

Replies

• Mello_Rello
    Mello_Rello Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    If you want honesty, you've got it. First, get up and get moving. Don't expect huge results in one week, it didn't take you a week to gain the weight of get lazy, it won't take a week to see the weight fall off either. Stay motivated, focus on your goal, push yourself ail more each day and you'll achieve your goal.
  • rainbowxelephant
    rainbowxelephant Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You sound exactly like me. I just moved and since I'm not working, I watch a LOT of netflix.. Hello, Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock (and other amazing things you can't usually watch in Canada..)

Aaaaanyways, I'm the same way. I really want to get fit but I'm amazing with excuses. I've done p90x before, so I'm starting that on Monday. If you need some encouragement feel free to add/message me :) I won't be condescending or rude, cuz I know what it's like to want to want to work out. Haha. All the best
  • mckenzie
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! You're right Mello, motivation is key! As you can see I first joined MFP in 2008 - I was probably one of the first users haha but I obviously haven't been utilizing it. Time to stop "thinking" about getting in shape and actually doing it. The Shred has been good for me in that a 25 minute work out a day isn't really something I can say I don't have time for, especially since I can do it right from my own bedroom...

Ahh Rainbow, don't even get me started on dear Benedict!! I only just recently discovered him on Netflix, but it was love at first sight! Good luck with the P90X... I think that it would kill me in my current state but I heard amazing things about it! I love how you put that, "wanting to want to work out," that's me to a T!
  • SelkathNuggets
    SelkathNuggets Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give is to try and gamify things for yourself. For example, if you want to try running/walking then grab the Zombies, Run! app for motivation. Or set up rewards for yourself (IMPORTANT - these rewards should NOT fly in the face of results - do not eat cake as a reward for working out, see a movie or something instead).
  • rainbowxelephant
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! You're right Mello, motivation is key! As you can see I first joined MFP in 2008 - I was probably one of the first users haha but I obviously haven't been utilizing it. Time to stop "thinking" about getting in shape and actually doing it. The Shred has been good for me in that a 25 minute work out a day isn't really something I can say I don't have time for, especially since I can do it right from my own bedroom...

Ahh Rainbow, don't even get me started on dear Benedict!! I only just recently discovered him on Netflix, but it was love at first sight! Good luck with the P90X... I think that it would kill me in my current state but I heard amazing things about it! I love how you put that, "wanting to want to work out," that's me to a T!

I will fight you for him. Haha
    Thank you, and good luck with Jillian. She's a hard *kitten* but a good motivator. Tony Horton is hilarious though, he's my go-to guy.
    Oh hey, if you like Benedict, you'll probably like Daniel Radcliffe in "A Young Doctor's Notebook" (i think it's called.. another mini series out of the UK) (I shouldn't be suggesting Netflix here) (British men though unf)
  • mckenzie
    Options
    Hmm I'll have to look into that app, Selkath! As a Walking Dead fan, I do love me some zombies :P (and yes, I do watch alot of TV!!). So you're probably saying that party size box of TGIF mozzarella sticks I have stored in the freezer would not be a good reward for completing the 30 Day Shred? Kidding (but not really...) I have told myself I'm not allowed to go on another shopping spree until I complete the Shred (21 days to go!), so that has been a motivator. Plus, what's the point of buying a new summer wardrobe now, if it will all be sized too big for me once summer actually comes?? ;)

Daniel Radcliffe has a new mini-series?! I'm on it!! I don't think there is anything wrong with a little post work out Netflixing, am I right?? haha
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to force yourself to workout (which you'll be thinking about all day beforehand), tell yourself all you have to do today is put on your workout clothes. If you don't feel like working out after you have your clothes on, don't work out. Be okay with it too.

What happens most of the time is you will end up working out because you rationalize it as, "well I'm already dressed to workout, why not just workout."

I don't have an issue with motivation for working out, but I use this method in other aspects of my life that I do dread doing. It works.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I can relate! I have started using Netflix to my advantage. Like to run in place while watching Bones at my desk, at lunch time. :)

I don't stress over 'working out' but I'm making sure to move more.
  • mckenzie
    Options
    That is very good advice, and I'm sure it'll come in handy, once my motivation level starts to slip a bit.... which I'm sure it will. Its so hard when you just want a quick fix and the results aren't immediate. Its almost feels as if time is going slower than usual - I started the Shred 10 days ago, but it feels like months! I want results now!! Also I wish I could use the same tactic for getting out of bed and to work in the morning... "all I have to do is get dressed for work, I don't actually have to go..." :)

That's a great idea, Staci, though I'm sure my coworkers would tease me mercilessly if I attempted it at the office. But maybe doing crunches or squats or something while watching at home...
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hey! You sound a lot like me! Feel free to add, I'm trying to get back into high school shape too!
  • rainbowxelephant
    Options
    Hey now there's an idea! Lift some dumbbells AND watch awesome Brit tv. Score!