Keto Plateau/FatFasting?

Options
itsolyo
itsolyo Posts: 27 Member
Has anyone here doing keto been successful with fat fasting? What are some recipes you've used? I've been in ketosis since 10/2013 and have hit a serious plateau here. Looking for something to kick my body back into a fat burning machine! How have you been able to get through your weight loss plateaus? I've tried intensifying my work outs and reducing my calories even more but it's not working.

What are some of your suggestions? I'm scared to stop keto because I've been successful thus far and anytime I cheat I baloon up...def don't want to get back to my start weight.

Help...

Replies

• elliottwave
    elliottwave Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been on the ketogenic diet for about 5 months and hit a 2 month long plateau. I also tried everything and finally did a fat fast for 5 days - I had a lot of success and it kicked me out of my plateau. I dropped 6 lbs. Once the fast was over, I gained back 2 (totally understandable) but then started losing about 1 lb a week again (which is a healthy, maintainable loss for me). I love the cook book "Fat Fast" (forget the author) and I also love Maria Emmerich's recipes and wisdom. http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/

Without looking at your diet and exercise, I can't really comment with clarity, but do be careful you're not dropping your calories too low. That can very easily force your body into starvation mode, it will slow your metabolism down. It's very counter intuitive, but assuming you are limiting carbs (20-30 or fewer per day) and not over doing protein, THE best way to lose weight is to UP the FAT.

Good luck with you fat fast!
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here doing keto been successful with fat fasting? What are some recipes you've used? I've been in ketosis since 10/2013 and have hit a serious plateau here. Looking for something to kick my body back into a fat burning machine! How have you been able to get through your weight loss plateaus? I've tried intensifying my work outs and reducing my calories even more but it's not working.

What are some of your suggestions? I'm scared to stop keto because I've been successful thus far and anytime I cheat I baloon up...def don't want to get back to my start weight.

Help...

everyone who ever does keto will invariably plateau and it's the nature of the beast.

there's a reason it's not particularly sustainable.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

Help...

everyone who ever does keto will invariably plateau and it's the nature of the beast.

She wants advice, not keto-hating. FFS:grumble:
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You could also try some type of carb cycling or IF to try to kickstart your metabolism. Carb cycling would be upping your carbs to 40-50g one day then being strict under 20 for a few days, then upping it again and then restricting. It shouldn't throw you out of ketosis but it can definitely get the fat burning again. IF would be eating a large meal either in the morning or at night and then fasting again until the next big meal. It should be a high fat meal of course. I've read about both of those being successful, but do some research on them as well before starting.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

Help...

see any juicing thread.

but fair enough. carry on.
  • itsolyo
    Options

Help...

hah!!! thanks for sticking up, i was thinking the exact same thing
  • itsolyo
    Options
    I've been on the ketogenic diet for about 5 months and hit a 2 month long plateau. I also tried everything and finally did a fat fast for 5 days - I had a lot of success and it kicked me out of my plateau. I dropped 6 lbs. Once the fast was over, I gained back 2 (totally understandable) but then started losing about 1 lb a week again (which is a healthy, maintainable loss for me). I love the cook book "Fat Fast" (forget the author) and I also love Maria Emmerich's recipes and wisdom. http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/

Without looking at your diet and exercise, I can't really comment with clarity, but do be careful you're not dropping your calories too low. That can very easily force your body into starvation mode, it will slow your metabolism down. It's very counter intuitive, but assuming you are limiting carbs (20-30 or fewer per day) and not over doing protein, THE best way to lose weight is to UP the FAT.

Good luck with you fat fast!

I ordered the Fat Fasting book by lara carpender, looking forward to getting it so i can revamp this diet! Was it sustainable when you tried it? Do you think doing it every month or so should do the trick?
  • itsolyo
    Options
    You could also try some type of carb cycling or IF to try to kickstart your metabolism. Carb cycling would be upping your carbs to 40-50g one day then being strict under 20 for a few days, then upping it again and then restricting. It shouldn't throw you out of ketosis but it can definitely get the fat burning again. IF would be eating a large meal either in the morning or at night and then fasting again until the next big meal. It should be a high fat meal of course. I've read about both of those being successful, but do some research on them as well before starting.

I was thinking about IF or Carb Cycling---have either of these methods worked for you?
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options

I was thinking about IF or Carb Cycling---have either of these methods worked for you?
    I've not needed to do either yet but I do follow a blog that was recently very successful with carb cycling. Fat fasts are very popular as well! Good luck!
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did the fat fasting about a month ago as I was stalled. Only did it for 3-4 days. Breakfast was bullet proof coffee or you can use tea w/2 tsp cocconut oil, 1 tbsp unsalted butter, Skinny girl stevia vanilla liquid, 1-2 tbsp whippping cream, to 12 oz coffee, and 4 slices of low sodium bacon. Lunch was either 4 oz of plain cream cheese and 1/4 cup macademian nuts, or 1 whole avocado and 1 low sodium cheeses stick, and then dinner was 4-5 oz deli prepared chicken salad, or 2 bacon hot dogs. Put me back into ketosis really fast. Lost 5 pounds, only gained back 1 of water weight, when I started back to regular keto.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I did the fat fasting about a month ago as I was stalled. Only did it for 3-4 days. Breakfast was bullet proof coffee or you can use tea w/2 tsp cocconut oil, 1 tbsp unsalted butter, Skinny girl stevia vanilla liquid, 1-2 tbsp whippping cream, to 12 oz coffee, and 4 slices of low sodium bacon. Lunch was either 4 oz of plain cream cheese and 1/4 cup macademian nuts, or 1 whole avocado and 1 low sodium cheeses stick, and then dinner was 4-5 oz deli prepared chicken salad, or 2 bacon hot dogs. Put me back into ketosis really fast. Lost 5 pounds, only gained back 1 of water weight, when I started back to regular keto.

Thanks for your detail post on this subject. I have not lost any in a couple months after dropping 15 pounds. In part over the holidays and in part after years of yo yo dieting now when I lose 10-15 pounds on LCHF I will regain a couple pounds and try to hold there for a month or two so not to trigger health issues from fast weight loss. I am now ready to go for another 16 pounds to get me down to 199. :)