Suggestions for a beginner

louramaille
louramaille Posts: 43
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
Ok i am a HORRIBLE eater, grew up in a fast food family. My parents dont cook so it was whatever mom picked up on the way home, left overs and snack foods.
Now at 25 and 187lbs i am thinking i need to break that habbit.
What are quick and easy things someone who can mess up hard boiling an egg, make? I am also a picky eater and need flavor!! cant do salad without ranch, and HATE dry meat (white meat makes me throw up ).

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Get low fat or fat free ranch dressing. Get low calorie frozen dinners to replace your fast food cravings. Look at everything your eating and figure out a way to make it lower calories. It usually can be done by either getting a lower calorie version of the same food or switching a high calorie item out for a lower calorie item.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 302 Member
    well first of all bring water to a boil. Than put eggs in water boil for 4 mins that cover the pot turn fire off and let set for 9 mins. Eggs will be hot and ready to go and perfect. I know it isn't how others do it but its how EHOW says do it. Cant go wrong with fish.
  • I think the biggest thing is to make sure you use MFP to the most benefit you can. I can tell you I have been using it for a month and you really don't realize what you are eating or the calories you are consuming. I agree with NighOwl1. Get those frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine to curb the appetite and fast food cravings. Do things where you make your own food so you can have a greater appreciation for what you are eating plus you know what you are putting into it. Dieting and losing weight doesn't mean you have to eat gross food. Here are a couple suggestions for cookbooks that are amazing and everything that I have made out of them has been fabulous. Better Homes and Gardens Eat Well Lose Weight, Hungry Girl 200 Recipes under 200 Calories and Eat What You Crave. These are my food bibles pretty much. Order them on Barnes and Noble online and get free shipping! Hope this helps! :)
  • thinkinkat1234
    thinkinkat1234 Posts: 4 Member
    My suggestion would be to start out with baby steps. For ranch dressing get light ranch dressing (hidden valley or kraft). I wouldn't get the products that say fat free because you can actually taste a difference in those. I don't really taste any difference in light products. I buy light sour cream and 1% milk. Also you need to find healthy alternatives to the things you crave. For instance if I need to satisfy a chocalte craving I eat the hostess 100 calorie packs of the chocolate cupcakes, or I buy candy bars but I buy the snack size ones for a treat. If I'm craving something salty I eat pickles or cherry tomatoes with some salt. Buy things that are already portioned so you don't over indulge. 100 calorie packs are great and so are fruit cups. This is just what I do. Hope it helps.
  • kt2007
    drink water is a huge cut on cals and also change your bread to the Sara Lee 45cal bread. You wont even notice the difference also the skim milk is a great cut also.
  • kt2007
    sorry for multiple post but thought of this also. Not sure if your doing this already but start measuring your food and stuff also. Just by that you will notice you dont need so much to get by with and it will help make cuts threw the day also.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,271 Member
    Ground Turkey replaces ground beef in everything perfectly. I love red meat too but I rarely eat it anymore. Fish and chicken almost exclusively. Mostly due to calorie content not health factors.

Ground turkey chili, and ground turkey tacos are my two favorites. Watch what you put in the chili and use low sodium ingredients and seasoning in both.
  • I agree with what Kt2007 said. Measuring is a great thing to do. also if you can afford it (thinking about doing this myself) get smaller dinner plates. Most people use those large 11inch (i think thats the size) dinner plates. go for more around a 9inch dinner plate. Also When you are plating dinner for your family take some of yours (maybe half) and put it aside. that way if its not on your plate your less likely to over eat. and just a small side note if you are starting an exercise regiment, take some white willow bark (its a natural form of Aspirin but is much more powerful and has less adverse affects then Aspirin)
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    The way I started was replacing just one meal. I started with having a healthier breakfast than mountain dew and donuts. I am still new so my food is far from perfect but that was my starting point.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    First, you have to be willing to try new things. Right from the bat you say that you are a picky eater...well you are not 4 years old anymore. Try new vegetables, new fruits, new products. Pick a cook book and try new recipes...you will probably mess up but it's ok. Time to do what your parents didn't.

Good luck
  • I just started too, but someone told me to change out my dinner plates for the smaller salad plates. I've been on vacation (finally go back to work tomorrow, thank goodness!) and every meal I've eaten the last two days has been on these salad plates. I'm still getting a full plate of food, but it's a much smaller plate with smaller portions. And it works! I eat it all, but I don't feel like I just un-did the whole day by eating dinner (or even breakfast! lol). My son is laughing at me eating out of the small plates, but he's 14 - he doesn't get it. The boy is a vacuum cleaner! :laugh:
  • kt2007
    Land O' Lakes - Fat Free Skim Milk, 1 Cup 90
    Splenda - Brown Sugar, 1/2 Packed tsp (2g) 10
    Hard Boiled Egg - Hard Boiled Egg, 1 medium egg 60
    Generic - Grain Oatmeal Dry .5 Cup, 1/2 cup dry 150
    Total 310 cals
    You can add a Banana for about another 100 or so cals and chop it up in your oatmeal.
  • kt2007
    also you can just buy the DIXIE plates and throw them out when your done. They are 9in also and cheap and no cleaning needed.
  • First, you have to be willing to try new things. Right from the bat you say that you are a picky eater...well you are not 4 years old anymore. Try new vegetables, new fruits, new products. Pick a cook book and try new recipes...you will probably mess up but it's ok. Time to do what your parents didn't.

Good luck

I completely agree with this... Your pallet will change so much as you try new things. You will truly appreciate what you are eating and things will taste better. You are only a picky eater because it is how you were brought up as you mentioned. You didn't get the experience. Branch out... trust me you will enjoy it. :)
  • I just started too, but someone told me to change out my dinner plates for the smaller salad plates. I've been on vacation (finally go back to work tomorrow, thank goodness!) and every meal I've eaten the last two days has been on these salad plates. I'm still getting a full plate of food, but it's a much smaller plate with smaller portions. And it works! I eat it all, but I don't feel like I just un-did the whole day by eating dinner (or even breakfast! lol). My son is laughing at me eating out of the small plates, but he's 14 - he doesn't get it. The boy is a vacuum cleaner! :laugh:

I just do the salad size plates as well. I still feel full and the illusion that on the bigger plate you are not eating as much with the same size portion can really get you. It entices you to eat more. Definitely switching has helped!
  • @maeflower1234 hmmm donuts
This discussion has been closed.