I under ate by 4000 calories

Options

Replies

• Anahita_Swims
    Anahita_Swims Posts: 4,127 Member
    Options
    try eating a yoghurt in the morning if its about time and stomaching it... you could like blend it up and put in fruit and stuff but that does take time and effort (cleaning the blender when you have to go out to work in the morning is bad) I struggle with eating enought calories too but your metabolish does start working till you put something in i think so if you dont have any food till lunch your not given your body a start till lunch oO im bad and explaining things but try yoghurt :)
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I never have eaten breakfast Even before a diet I rarely eat before 12noon. Maybe it's something I should try and make a priority in the morning I just don't feel like I can stomach food that early in the morning.
    I think over the last seven days ove had a salad lunch at least three times so don't think I'm not eating to unhealthily and I cook most of my hot meals from scratch which always include veg lean meats and sauces from scratch, yes I know I've had packet pasta a couple of times but generally speaking I do cook my own. I'm trying to steer clear of 'junk foods' like chocolate crisps and cakes. I try and weigh all my food as has been suggested on other forums but I think in some ways this has made me more strict as I think oh I could have 10 grams less of that and feel full still. I think maybe If I increase my portion sizes this will help
    I'm one of those people that I could sit for a month and just eat rubbish all day long but I want to break that habit and create better habits I'm learning guys go easy I'm asking for help

I wish you the best of luck and I'm going to assume that your intentions are sincere so let me clue you into a secret:

Low fat/ lean does not always equal healthy.
    If you have trigger foods, sure avoid those but there's no reason to be quite so strict.

If you are under your cals you can probably switch to less lean cuts. And throw some bacon in the salad (or chorizo, chopped nuts, some cheese, whatever) This is not a zero sum game and I'm hearing that you are struggling to find the middle way between junk food and very low calorie items.

Another thing that I've learned from experience is for those of us with weight to lose or habits to break, success does not sit in our comfort zone. So this may be difficult. There, I said it. You might get hungry and have to just deal with that hunger. Or you might try to start eating breakfast, it might be uncomfortable until you adjust. You might have to cram more food into your face when you're not too keen on doing so. You might have to really work that self discipline because in life you are going to be faced with times you're expected to go all out; birthdays, thanksgiving, all you can eat buffets. Those tests are somewhere down the path and what you don't want is a loss of control binge-fest because you haven't dealt with how to control yourself around the foods you enjoy.

I mean this in the most encouraging way but there's no magic bullet and eating so far below what your body needs to stay functioning will undermine your progress. Accept that you will fall off the wagon a few times and when you do, you'll climb right back on. Accept that you'll find some days easier than others. This shouldn't be an all-or-nothing approach because life is lived in that grey area in between.

I'm sure you'll make it work for you and you're doing great. Don't let the little details derail your path towards those long term goals. If you need help there are many of us here who would be more than happy to add you as a weight loss buddy.

Good luck! :smile:
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You can google 1200 calorie diet and get some meal plans or speak with a nutritionist or dietitian to get personalized help in setting up 1200 calorie meal plans that work with your taste and life. Plan them out a week in advance and then go shopping so you have the food.. The pre-planning works wonders for hitting calorie and nutritional goals.

Everyone has a one off day where they are busy or not feeling well and they under eat but if after planning them out you find you are unable to eat that amount of food talk to your doctor.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    everyone says you must eat 1200 calories.....................all the sites say you must eat 1200........................well wheres the proof
    no facts on this
    I suggest calculate your rmr and keep it under that by a couple hundread.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Your overall weight loss goal is 50 lbs. How did you gain 50 lbs if you aren't able to eat at least 1000 calories per day? It's an excuse. Eat!
  • sunitar292
    sunitar292 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Try eating breakfast.....
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    everyone says you must eat 1200 calories.....................all the sites say you must eat 1200........................well wheres the proof
    no facts on this

Totally irresponsible advice.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    no facts on this

Oh, and OP, whatever you do, don't listen to this guy.

Eat a couple hundred calories under your BMR? Wtf?

ETA: Graelwyn75 beat me to it!
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    no facts on this

WTH!!!!!! You need to get your terminology straight before you post this crap.

OP do not listen to this guy. You never want to eat under your RMR or BMR. You want to eat under your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). This is the number of calories you use throughout the day that include basic functions plus activity. What this poster suggested is you eat below the absolute minimum to keep your body functioning.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Snacks. If you can't eat a bunch in one sitting have snacks!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    no facts on this

That would be quite stressful for her body. RMR is the absolute bare minimum she would need to keep her organs functioning if she were in a coma.

Terrible advice.
  • KCNutritionCoach
    KCNutritionCoach Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Going too low in calories will:
    1. Stall your weight loss. There is a science to reducing calories enough to lose weight and keeping them high enough that your metabolism doesn't slow. And, yes, your metabolism will slow down. Not permanently, but while you are restricting. Someone referred to the starvation study done with soldiers, but that is not the only study. That is the extreme of what prolonged hunger can do. Raising calories can actually stimulate weight loss when you hit a plateau from going too low.
    2. Under 1200 calories for women does not allow you to meet your vitamin and mineral needs. This is fact, for the gentleman whom disputed it. I would suggest he brush up on his nutrition facts.
    3. You are setting yourself up for failure. This is "crash dieting". You may lose weight fast, but you will lose muscle no matter how much you exercise. When you gain it back, it will come back as fat. Chronic dieters become more fat over time due to this.

Be moderate and make it a lifestyle change. If what you are doing now cannot be done over the long haul, then you are bound to have rollercoaster dieting the rest of your life.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I never have eaten breakfast Even before a diet I rarely eat before 12noon. Maybe it's something I should try and make a priority in the morning I just don't feel like I can stomach food that early in the morning.
    Bagel with peanut butter. It's "light" as far as AMOUNT of food...but it will easily drop another 300 cals into your day. Peanut butter has the "good" fat too. If you're not a peanut butter fan, do butter or sour cream instead.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Your overall weight loss goal is 50 lbs. How did you gain 50 lbs if you aren't able to eat at least 1000 calories per day? It's an excuse. Eat!

The problem is she's scared to eat more because she doesn't know how to "add calories" and not go overboard.

Another problem is, outside of myfitnesspal forums, there is a strong dieting culture around "less is more" so if you can eat less you might think you should. It feels virtuous to many women to eat under their goal because the goal is seen as a maximum. Even mfp puts you in the red for going one calorie over so you usually have to eat less to stay in the green where it's "good". And even as it's telling you that you're eating " too few calories", it gives you a nice low number that you will weigh if you keep eating that way. Mixed messages.

I'm glad I read these forums and gave myself the freedom to eat more but before I did, I was doing the same thing as the OP, and I was morbidly obese.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I think over the last seven days ove had a salad lunch at least three times so don't think I'm not eating to unhealthily and I cook most of my hot meals from scratch which always include veg lean meats and sauces from scratch, yes I know I've had packet pasta a couple of times but generally speaking I do cook my own. I'm trying to steer clear of 'junk foods' like chocolate crisps and cakes. I try and weigh all my food as has been suggested on other forums but I think in some ways this has made me more strict as I think oh I could have 10 grams less of that and feel full still. I think maybe If I increase my portion sizes this will help
    I'm one of those people that I could sit for a month and just eat rubbish all day long but I want to break that habit and create better habits I'm learning guys go easy I'm asking for help
    Here's the help you are asking for:
    Eat at least 1200 calories a day plus exercise calories back!!!!
    You are doing harm to your entire body by eating so little!!!!
    Eat:
    Protein
    Fats
    Veggies
    Fruits
    Eat treats
    Eat.
    Every organ in your body needs adequate nutrition to function.
    Your bones.
    Muscles (including your heart!!!)
    Brain
    Blood
    Nervous system
    Etc., etc.!!!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Going too low in calories will:
    1. Stall your weight loss. There is a science to reducing calories enough to lose weight and keeping them high enough that your metabolism doesn't slow. And, yes, your metabolism will slow down. Not permanently, but while you are restricting. Someone referred to the starvation study done with soldiers, but that is not the only study. That is the extreme of what prolonged hunger can do. Raising calories can actually stimulate weight loss when you hit a plateau from going too low.
    2. Under 1200 calories for women does not allow you to meet your vitamin and mineral needs. This is fact, for the gentleman whom disputed it. I would suggest he brush up on his nutrition facts.
    3. You are setting yourself up for failure. This is "crash dieting". You may lose weight fast, but you will lose muscle no matter how much you exercise. When you gain it back, it will come back as fat. Chronic dieters become more fat over time due to this.

Be moderate and make it a lifestyle change. If what you are doing now cannot be done over the long haul, then you are bound to have rollercoaster dieting the rest of your life.

Under eating will not stall weight loss. There is nothing magic that happens that makes you stop losing weight while in a calorie deficit (which she clearly is). The importance of eating enough food is in regards to the end result. You need to get enough fats, proteins and carbs to maintain your lean body mass while losing the optimal amount of body fat.
  • ublanchard
    Options
    I get that you are worried about going over and don't trust yourself to eat more with out eating *too much.* I think you should Google around for meal plans for 1200 calorie diets. There are lots of them out there and they show that you an eat a variety of healthy food at that calorie total. And you can eat a good amount of lean meat too. Honestly, you could even work a hamburger in, if you make it with 93% lean ground beef, don't go nuts with mayo and leave off the cheese.

If you don't like breakfast, how about coffee or tea with full fat milk in the morning? Or have a mid morning snack of peanut butter toast or a full fat greek yogurt? I really feel like full fat dairy keeps me satisfied longer. Or, ok, you want to skip breakfast entirely, that's cool, I know some people do a diet where they fast 16 hrs a day and only eat between 12 noon and 8 pm. Still try to get 1200 calories. You can have lunch and dinner at 600 calories each, or have lunch and dinner at 500 calories each and then a 200 calorie snack. The fact that you don't like breakfast shouldn't erase 1/3 of you calories from your diet.
    Even mfp puts you in the red for going one calorie over so you usually have to eat less to stay in the green where it's "good". And even as it's telling you that you're eating " too few calories", it gives you a nice low number that you will weigh if you keep eating that way. Mixed messages.
    This is so true! It can mess with your head.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Bread, cheese and wine, my friend. With those three beautiful things I could easily consume 1300 calories in one sitting.

Beer and fried foods work just as well.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    On a more serious note, I did take a look at your diary over the past week and you've skipped breakfast every day. Eating breakfast, whether you take the time to have a proper meal at home or make/grab something to eat on the go (or when you get to work/school, depending on your lifestyle), will definitely help you meet your daily calorie intake. Consistently eating too few calories does not make for sustainable weight loss. You also want to fuel your body in order to be able to be (or remain) active.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Fact: The "starvation effect" or whatever you want to call it, is overrated. It has been noted in clinical trials of your metabolism slowing down very slightly .when you eat many fewer calories. Slightly. These studies are based in military studies done shortly after WWII on healthy male volunteers who were subjected to starvation diets under close medical supervision.

For that part - there are a whole lot more studies than just that MN one.

And is suppressing your TDEE by 500 calories lower compared to what it could have been "very slightly". I'd dare say 500 calories suppressed is mighty big, like a good sized meal or more for smaller eaters.
    How much easier will weight loss and then maintenance be if it was 250-500 less than it potentially could have been.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/heybales/view/reduced-metabolism-tdee-beyond-expected-from-weight-loss-616251

http://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/truth-about-metabolic-damage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i_cmltmQ6A

And a bunch more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1077746-starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss