Tabata and C25k and eating

Options
I have been thinking of adding tabata to my cardio regime. I have to admit, I hope I don't straight pass out. My first thought was to have the defibrillator right next to the elliptical. My 2nd thought was to just go ahead and attach the little electrodes prior to starting (note to self, the instruction manual says they are NOT tassels). If I do that 2 times a week, that plus doing my c25k 3 times a week, too much?
Also...tabata is only 4 minutes. I do my cardio so I can eat dinner. I don't know that the calorie burn is, but for 4 minutes, I can't imagine it being even in the 400's. I know it is more effective at burning fat, but I am avoiding my protein drinks tonight because I won't have the calories for those and any dinner. Or, on those days, should I feel ok if I go slightly over?

Replies

• AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm late to the party but what is Tabata?
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm late to the party but what is Tabata?
    http://www.tabataprotocol.com/
  • Rondaks
    Options
    I had to look up Tabata. It look really interesting. I think I might just try it on my next workout. But I don't think I can let myself do just 4 minutes. I usually do 50 minutes on either the treadmill or the elliptical. I can't imagine just 4 minutes a day. Then again, I haven't tried it, yet.

I think give it a try. See what it feels like!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    If you are only going over 2 times a week I dont think it would be a big deal (I actually work in days to go over) as long as you don't go too far over.

Would it be crazy to do the Tataba and then a short or easy cardio after it?
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I have a feeling that, because of the change-up, you can do more Tabata (or HIIT) than you think. So I suspect there's more dinner in there than you imagine.

Also, isn't the sage wisdom that the more variation in your heart rate, the more likely you are to burn a ton of calories? I say go for it, try it for a few weeks, and if it doesn't work, go back to the strategy you know works for you! :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you are truly doing a tabata 4min workout, you will be absolutely destroyed afterwards. (pending exercise selection also)

I would recommend doing it with light weight db's doing "thrusters" which is a squat and the overhead press. This is an awesome full body movement.

If you are just doing 20secs on, 10secs off then you do it for ages IMO. I like interval training so I will quite often just setup various exercises at my gym and set the tabata timer and do whatever. I push as hard as possible for each exercise but because I can mix it up, it gives certain muscles time to rest e.g. doing pullups and then doing bodyweight squats, I am usually able to switch between these 2 for 4 minutes but if I was to do pullups only, I would be struggling to finish.

So there are a few options. Or do a one exercise proper tabata and then have a 10min rest and just do some steady state cardio for 20mins after or so.
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Freaking LOVE, LOVE, LOVE doing Tabatas. We do Tabata style workouts for at least part of the hour at each of my bootcamps. We use lots of different exercises - jumping stars (think combo of deep squats and jumping out to a jumping jack), burpees, push ups, jumping rope, etc. It's all about INTENSITY in bursts with tiny breaks between. We usually do everything in sets of 8. Talk about DRIPPING sweat!
  • KcFitCoach
    Options
    This is what we follow at my bootcamp

The original Tabata Protocol requires the following:

•5 minutes of warm-up
    •8 intervals of 20 seconds all-out intensity exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest
    •2 minutes cool-down

But, we do SEVERAL tabatas. We do them as PART of a 60 minute bootcamp.
  • KcFitCoach
    Options
    Here was some of our 'homework' over the 2 week break between bootcamp (pasting this from our bootcamp director's email):

Tabatas: 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest....repeat 7 more times for a total of 4 minutes of high intensity, metabolism boosting exercise. You could do 2 of these a day 4-5 days a week during our 2 week break.

Star Jumps
    Squats
    Jump squat
    Split squat jump
    Mountain climbers
    Burpees
    Dumbbell thrusters
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ok now I have lots of research to do! thank you everyone for info you are posting:)