On the Search for Other Vegetarians

Options
Hello, I have just made the switch to being a vegetarian.
I am a week down and would like to be friends with other vegetarians and vegans.
So feel free to add me :)

Replies

• kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am no longer a vegetarian. But I was for six months. It made me feel amazing! Up until I started almost passing out everyday from no protein, so I had to start eating meat again. I literally threw up for about a month when I tried to eat it again. I still can't eat red meat to this day. Just wanted to say good luck, and make sure you get enough protein. Boca has a good selection of vegetarian food and they sell it at Wal-Mart & most groceries stores. I LOVE the boca burgers.
  • bsweettt
    Options
    I'm always trying to convert to being a vegetarian, but it's so hard!!- any advice/tips? it'd make me feel a whole lot better if I was!
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I as well try to eat vegetarian as often as possible but find it difficult sometimes to meet he protein requirements.
  • Veggie_Eloise
    Veggie_Eloise Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    BSweettt -- I just realized about a week ago that I don't eat too much meat anyway so I decided to put a label on it. I started off by trying little things here and there like hummus and introducing more veggies in my diet. I didn't want to call myself one for a while so I wouldn't feel pressured. Good luck!!
    Chacaruso -- Egg whites, beans, and vegan protein bars have been helping me.
    Kelsey17 - Thanks, I will certainly look into those!
  • bunnaroo
    bunnaroo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a veg and have been for over half my life now. I LOVE it, but if anything, I find my problem is too much protein! Now that there are so many vegetarians out there, food manufacturers have caught on to it and are making LOTS of junk food that they are marketing as healthy just because it doesn't have meat in it. I used to be a healthy weight, but not checking the labels on all that junk has gotten me into a bind. :( I need to start cooking for myself again instead of eating all that prepackaged crap!

Anyway, I would say instead of focusing on protein, focus on getting lots of variety in your diet. And be sure to take supplements, especially B12. There are vegetarian vitamins out there, but honestly, I don't think it matters if your vitamin has a little bit of fish oil or gelatin in it.
  • Adale311
    Options
    For those of you who are having trouble staying on a vegetarian diet, you may want to try meat substitutes, like vegan sandwich meat, tofu, and veggie burgers, bacon, hot dogs, etc. I liked all of these right away, except for tofu; I had to force myself to eat it and now love it. I do not really remember what meat tastes like (I've been a vegetarian for over 15 years), but the substitutes are good!
  • DaniPeter
    Options
    I second that - Boca Burgers are my favorite veggie burger!
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am no longer a vegetarian. But I was for six months. It made me feel amazing! Up until I started almost passing out everyday from no protein, so I had to start eating meat again. I literally threw up for about a month when I tried to eat it again. I still can't eat red meat to this day. Just wanted to say good luck, and make sure you get enough protein. Boca has a good selection of vegetarian food and they sell it at Wal-Mart & most groceries stores. I LOVE the boca burgers.

This... isn't what anyone really needs to hear. It might have been your experience, but it makes it look like a veg*an diet is unhealthy when that isn't true at all. Ovo and/or lacto vegetarians can have milk, cheese, and eggs, and those are all excellent sources of protein. If you weren't eating those, or other protein sources, you were doing it completely wrong.

Are you sure it was lack of protein anyway? Did you ever get evaluated by a doctor?