Diet Coke Addicts Unite.

Options
Just wanted to share a bit of a success story:

I love Diet Coke. I'm addicted to it and get withdraw headaches when I don't have it. I crave it, I need it.

Or so, I thought.

Two weeks ago I re-committed to losing weight and getting healthier. I am slowly starting to cut things out of my everyday diet, starting with my beloved Diet Coke. It's not that I want to ban it from my life forever, I just wanted to significantly cut back.

The first week, I had no Diet Coke. I had withdraw headaches, horrible anxiety, and was in a ****ty mood constantly.
The second week, I allowed myself 2 Diet Coke cans in 7 days.

And now? On the third week? My headaches are gone, my cravings are gone, and when I allow myself a Diet Coke, I genuinely enjoy it. I've increased the amount of water I drink and have sought tea for a caffeine boost.

So, my fellow DC addicts - cutting significant amounts of diet coke out of your diet IS possible! Get through the first crappy week and you'll be on your way.

Here for support if you need it! Sending positive vibes your way.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    yea, but why would I want to cut something out that I love :)
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Ive got a diet drink problem today I had 2 diet dr peppers, 1 diet mountain dew, 2 propel zeros, and 1 seven up 10 =X
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

Everyone is different, but I notice when I cut back on drinking Diet Pepsi, which I freaking love, my skin on my face clears up. The more Diet soda (probably any soda or sugary drink would do it) I drink the worse my skin is.

I went from drinking one or two a day to..... usually 2 a week. Sometimes less.

But Diet Coke (or pepsi imo) is SO DAMN GOOD
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My name is Becki, I am a cola zero-aholic and I'm not giving it up yet!
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've been addicted to Diet Coke for years. At my worst I could easily go through 6 330ml cans a day. It was my only source my hydration.

I've not been successful at quitting completely yet but I have scaled back massively. I allow myself one small 150ml can to start the morning. Sometimes I will have a 330ml can later in the day but if I don't have it, it doesn't bother me. I'm calling this a success! I'm hoping to cut down even more soon (to save money more than anything), but I'm just not in a position to deal with the headaches right now and if a small can in the morning keeps me going so be it.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely in my life had a not insignificant number of days during which I consumed a gallon or more of Diet Coke.

These days, I'm down to maybe 32-36 ounces per day - a 20 ouncer with lunch and a can with dinner during the week, maybe 3 cans per day on weekends. Dinner is often caffeine-free (though I also have coffee in the morning). Unless I'm out to eat, then I'll almost certainly have a few refills.

But, anyway. I'm happy with that. I have no desire to remove it from my life. I have cut it out completely in the past for periods of time, and it sucks. I don't notice any changes except that I'm not drinking things I enjoy. I figure I'm maybe 12-15 years away from my liver exploding from all the aspartame (that's what happens, right?) but, hey, we all gotta die from something.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yeah I used to rely on it but stopped buying it. Mum bought me an 8 pack which I finished today and I won't buy more for a week or so so that my body doesn't think it needs it
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Congrats OP! I had a self-proclaimed Diet Coke addiction as well (like 6 cans a day) and tomorrow will be 1 month Diet Coke free! I've only had water and I am really proud of myself. The last time I tried to give it up I had horrible withdrawals and actually threw up but this time it was much more manageable, plus I took headache relief that has a little caffeine in it if I felt a headache coming on. My teeth feel much less sensitive and even look a little whiter, so win-win!
  • cancbry
    cancbry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used to be very much addicted to the stuff; I would shamelessly consume a 24 pack within a few days, barely ate real food since I was basically using DC as a meal replacement (didn't intend that at the time, but in retrospect I see that's exactly what I did). Now, I've been off the stuff for 3 years - I made it my new year's resolution one year to stop it, and... I did! It's definitely possible to stop! And now, I cannot STAND the stuff. Just takes some time and a lot of persistence! You can definitely do it! :D
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options

This, I drink it and have no effects from it. I've lost over 50 pounds in the past on it, didn't affect my weight loss or anything.
  • mielejody
    mielejody Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've been addicted to Diet Coke for years. At my worst I could easily go through 6 330ml cans a day. It was my only source my hydration.

I've not been successful at quitting completely yet but I have scaled back massively. I allow myself one small 150ml can to start the morning. Sometimes I will have a 330ml can later in the day but if I don't have it, it doesn't bother me. I'm calling this a success! I'm hoping to cut down even more soon (to save money more than anything), but I'm just not in a position to deal with the headaches right now and if a small can in the morning keeps me going so be it.

I call that a massive success! It's hard to cut it out all at once. I definitely need to allow myself one or two a week to stay sane. Plus it tastes. too. damn. good.!
  • mielejody
    Options

This, I drink it and have no effects from it. I've lost over 50 pounds in the past on it, didn't affect my weight loss or anything.

I suppose for some it has no affect and to that I say - good on ya. I'm jealous.

For me, Diet Coke = other bad habits. Fries and wings taste mighty fine with a can of diet coke. It's more of a mental thing for me, I suppose.
  • mielejody
    Options
    Congrats OP! I had a self-proclaimed Diet Coke addiction as well (like 6 cans a day) and tomorrow will be 1 month Diet Coke free! I've only had water and I am really proud of myself. The last time I tried to give it up I had horrible withdrawals and actually threw up but this time it was much more manageable, plus I took headache relief that has a little caffeine in it if I felt a headache coming on. My teeth feel much less sensitive and even look a little whiter, so win-win!

That is truly awesome. I do notice my teeth getting whiter as well! Many benefits to cutting it out, for me anyway! Congrats to you also.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a really weird super hero group. A bunch of people with headaches and the jitters due to quitting cold turkey out fighting crime. Their arch nemesis would be a giant coke dispenser.
  • TingoAcias
    Options

If it makes you feel any better, if I am mindlessly working and not paying attention, I can easily blow through 12+
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options

I too suffer from this grave condition ;) Go Coke Zero, or better yet, Cherry Coke Zero!
  • meerkat2012
    meerkat2012 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im so glad someone made this thread! I have a MASSIVE diet coke addiction-my turning point was when i realised i had drank 26 litres of diet coke in one week!!. I usually go through 6 cans a day at least as well as buying the 500 ml bottles which id usually drink 2 of a day but sometimes more. I regularly fill black bin liners with empty diet coke cans and bottles and try to get rid of the evidence by putting it in the outside bin when my housemates are out of the house lol. I have tried to get better at it and am not buying multipacks anymore instead im buying 2 of the 500ml bottles and trying to make that my daily limit-its still a ltr a day but its an improvement. I have actually given up smoking a year and a half ago and i honestly find this to be almost as difficult! I crave it as if im dying of thirst if i dont have it, i get grumpy and to me if ive run out of diet coke when im having a night in the night is a bit ruined-ill go out of my way to go to the 24 hr shop late at night to get my 'fix'. I swear there is something in it thats addicitive! ive met others who have had the same issue with it but i dont know many who have the same issue with regular coke??

I find i drink it the way people drink water-some have water on hand all day-i have diet coke on hand ALL day. I need to cut way back for moneys sake but also my teeth are suffering, i have weak teeth due to health issues but diet coke makes things a lot worse and it also discolours them. Im trying to add water in instead because diet coke is my only source of hydration right now.

Is anyone else as bad as me with their diet coke addicition??
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I too suffer from this grave condition ;) Go Coke Zero, or better yet, Cherry Coke Zero!

Cherry coke zero?! What is this amazing sounding drink u speak of? Don't think they sell it in the UK but I will track it down if it exists here... Damn, new addiction on its way!!
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet coke two years ago when I became pregnant. When I tried it again after my pregnancy, it just tasted like a bunch of chemicals! Funny thing this was posted. Last night I drove around for an hour because every single store was closed. (it was only 8pm!) Before coming home I thought...boy, that was rough. I'm going to treat myself to an overpriced gas station diet coke. So I did. And it was awful. It is possible to kick the habit...but then again I live in Germany...and even regular coke here tastes bad.
  • MissBounceUK
    MissBounceUK Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have to confess that Diet Coke has been a life-saver for me on this weight-loss quest. On days when I'm getting the good-old 'rumbly tumbly' between meals, Diet Coke has saved me on more than one occasion from scoffing down the nearest office donut or cake that I really don't need to sabotage my success so far. I don't drink masses of the stuff, but need to know it's in the cupboard in case of sugar-craving emergency.