im a shorty

Options
Does anyone else struggle with only being 4ft 11 and trying to stay a healthy weight and also look good in clothes?

I have lost a little weight. well 1pound , but just also seem to look short and stumpy :(

any tips? x:flowerforyou:

Replies

• Rondaks
    Options
    I'm only 5 feet. It feels like us shorty's have to struggle with the fact that we have short legs. Lets face it, we take 3 steps to the average size person's 2. I don't know about you, by going 3 miles an hour on a treadmill is a pretty darn brisk walk for me - not a jog exactly, but close to it. I have given up looking good in clothes. Not like I'm a slob, but I'm a short fat girl right now. I know I don't look like a beautiful thin, tall woman, but I am who I am, and I love me. I just want to look as nice as I can and be proud of who I am regardless of how I look in clothes.
  • servingthealiens
    servingthealiens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Yep, same problem. That, and I was gifted with a pear shaped body, so even when I'm at my ideal weight, I look like a freaking fire hydrant.

The best advice I can offer is buy clothes that flatter your body. If you're of kind of a "boyish" build, skinny jeans and leggings make you look taller and slimmer. If you're built like me, jeans that are a LITTLE bit of a relaxed fit actually seem to balance things out for me. To baggy looks awful, but a little room makes me look slimmer.
  • littlelol
    Options
    yes i am a pair shape. tiny at the top and bigger at the bottom. :noway:
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I'm like 5' 2.5" and I've been saying that same thing about the treadmill for a long time now. My taller friends have no problems going 3.5 walking on it. That's a jog for me!! I know I can set my own settings for exercises logged on here, but I wish they weren't so 'generic' for the whole lot of people.
    But, a good example to take into consideration: tires for vehicles. If not the right size, it changes the odometer and speedometer readings! So, why can't we take short people into consideration with things like the treadmill?

And, clothes...I've been so frustrated watching my friends who are around my weight fit into size 12/14's while I'm still trying to get out of the 20's!! While it's an added cost, I did have a pantsuit I recently bought tailored to me. It is an option and can help clothes last longer while getting to the next size.

Just goes to show, size does matter! lol I keep secretly hoping to grow taller, while I know it'll never happen. lol
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi,I am 5'2" on a good day.I wear stilettos all the time it makes u
    Look taller and gives the appearance of elongated legs,therefore
    making you look great in your clothes. Its an easy trick but works.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Yep, same problem. That, and I was gifted with a pear shaped body, so even when I'm at my ideal weight, I look like a freaking fire hydrant.

The best advice I can offer is buy clothes that flatter your body. If you're of kind of a "boyish" build, skinny jeans and leggings make you look taller and slimmer. If you're built like me, jeans that are a LITTLE bit of a relaxed fit actually seem to balance things out for me. To baggy looks awful, but a little room makes me look slimmer.

I saw a post about skinny jeans earlier about how only skinny people should wear them. Yeah, well, if they make them in my size and I don't buy skin tight, they look better than that bootcut stuff that just pools on the floor with me and doesn't pull off the illusion it's meant to do.
    So, thank you for saying that about the baggy look! :) My legs are always swimming in pants. ugh!!
  • BleacherAddict
    Options
    I'm 4'11" as well. I gave up trying to look taller a long time ago, plus, I've never been a heels girl... I love my Chucks. I just try to wear clothes that are a little more form fitting. I feel that the wider you look, at our height anyway, the stumpier and frumpier you'll appear. My biggest problem areas are my mid-section and my arms, so I wear higher rise jeans and long sleeve shirts.
  • littlelol
    Options
    Thanku for ur replies everybody.

Looks like im guna have to accept im a shorty haha.

The tips are good though., Aswell as being short im blessed wiv a beyonce bottom ! arrghhhh not A GUD LOOK WHEN UR AS PETITE AS ME!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    OH, I am so glad to read this topic!

I am 5'0 1/2" (my signature is wrong, I always claimed 5'1"... but was told different last time I was at the doctor's!) I am obviously way over my ideal weight... but I do get so discouraged that, even at my ideal weight, I was wearing a 10 and looked overweight. (I'm sure that is even more so now after childbirth and the toll of 15 years). I see people taller than me who are my weight now and in a 12 or 14! I have a pear shape too and had 40+ inch hips even at an ideal weight. Needless to say... my pants size is huge and even when I weighed 40 pounds less than now I was only a size lower than I am now. I could probably vent about clothes all day. I'll just say that clothing manufacturer's don't like short girls with curves and *really* don't like short fat girls with curves.

I really don't want to be taller... I just wish there was some way to attain the lean look while being short and having some curves. :(
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 feet and 1/2" much to my disgust at my last doctor's visit. I always thought I was 5'1"/5'2". I struggle too with people of the same height being in the smaller sizes (under size 10). My problem areas are my chest and belly. I don't think my feet could take high heels (I have bunions -ouch). Welcome to the shorty club!!