sets and reps

Options
i do maybe about 4 strenght training machines
and i do three sets of 10 reps...(or the other way around...u know what i mean)

needless to say that's not much of a work out....
how can i increase it...do more on each machine, introduce new machines, increase intensity (which is hard cuz i already do pretty heavey intesity)

*can you tell me
how many reps sets you do
how many machines you use roughly
how long it takes you to complete all this*

Replies

• RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Get off the machines and do free weights dumbbell/barbell and you will feel challenged.

3sets x 10reps is a fine range. If you aren't feeling challenged, congrats it's time to add more weight!
  • arrowprayer
    arrowprayer Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    anyone else?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I would say the same thing as RobsGirl.

Also, get on a program. There's tons of free programs out there. Just going in and winging it is probably not going to help you progress.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Get off the machines and do free weights dumbbell/barbell and you will feel challenged.

3sets x 10reps is a fine range. If you aren't feeling challenged, congrats it's time to add more weight!

^^ this.

If its feeling easy then you need more weight.

What machines are you using? are they the same 4 every time? I too personally prefer free weights, but I understand not everyone is ready to make the jump over to the other side of the gym. The machines arent that bad, just make sure you are working all your muscle groups evenly, dont just do the same 4 things every day.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    Get an actual program put together by someone who knows what they are doing. As stated there are lots of free programs. Take a look at something like nerd fitness. Or you can purchase a book like New Rules of Lifting for Women. If you don't know what you are doing, it is much better to spend some money, time or both getting the information and an actual program to follow with directions on how you are to progress in increasing weight. Since you are using machines, I am guessing you are at a gym. As far as I know most gyms have trainers who can put programs together for you. I have not used a gym in years, but when I did part of the membership was regular fitness tests followed by them providing a program one of the trainers put together.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    anyone else?

Robsgirl has given you an excellent reply. Free weights are more challenging.

At the moment I am following a program where both machines and free weights are used. Each workout is between 8 -12 different exercises and it's 3-4 sets of anything between 8-12 reps a set.

Look for a beginners program online, it's better than trying to do your own things when you're new to weights.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    1. get off the free weights and add heavy lifting/compound movements
    2. find a program and stick with it…starting strength, 5x5, new rules of lifting etc..

I do upper/lower split …four days a week …

four sets in the 8-10 rep range is what I am doing now ..but I will adjust this periodically and do more strength based training 5-6 reps or more 5x5 type training….
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your goals, you will get very general answers or people assuming things and making specific suggestions that might or might not be congruent to what you are looking for.

So what is your goal or goals in conjunction to weight training?