Help - Overheating when Working out

Options
So I've just started to work out after years of a pretty sedentary life. The problem I'm having is that I get too hot while I'm working out. I get dizzy sometimes a bit nauseous, I start wheezing, it feels a bit like my brain is getting slow and I can't keep up with the workout video I'm using (even through I've done these workouts a few times now and can follow them easily when i'm just starting).

I've changed everything I can think of to keep myself cool: clothes (at this point, I'm pretty much not wearing any when I work out because they hold too much heat), how I wear my hair, drinking colder water, opening the door so I get a bit of a breeze. Each of them helped marginally and I can manage to get through two of the workouts on the video instead of barely managing one but even still by the end of it I'm so miserable and hot it's all I can do to get to the shower to douse myself in cold water and cool down.

I mentioned the problem to my mother (who is also a bit over weight) to see if she had a similar problem but she just laughed and told me that I was being ridiculous and that it was in my head.

I *really* don't think is though but I have no idea what else I can change. Does any one else have a similar problem or advice?

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing a heart rate monitor? You might want to check your heart rate and make sure you aren't over doing it.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I did when I first started.

First of all, get a good Heart Rate Monitor. I have the Polar FT4 and it works great- you don't even feel the chest strap. When you do cardio and you're in your zone, you should feel warm, stressed, and sweating but never wheezing or terribly uncomfortable- that means you're going to hard.

I'd try to pick workouts that really go easy on your body so you can build into it. Walking with one minute intervals of jogging or doing the elliptical on a manual setting for 15 minutes. Heck, 15 minutes was all I could do at first before experiencing the wheezing. That was 100 lbs ago.

What work out videos are you using?
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might be pushing yourself a little too hard too soon. When I first started getting back on track and exercising regularly, I used to get dizzy, nauseous, wheezing, basically feeling like I was going to die when I used to try to work out with my friends or do a workout that I thought I "should" be doing. In retrospect, I was pushing myself too hard. I felt sick because my body simply wasn't ready for that kind of intensity yet...even though it was just a "warm up" for my fit friends. It takes time to get better and build endurance. You'll get there eventually. Don't push yourself too hard now. If you feel sick, nauseous, or like you might faint or black out any second...you're probably pushing yourself too hard. Getting a heart rate monitor like others suggested would be a good idea! That way you can learn what exercising in a good heart rate zone is supposed to feel like!
  • Janec721
    Janec721 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm using the Denise Austin dance workouts. Each of them is about 20 minutes and it has a way to set up a custom workout on the disk. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IHY9UM/

I can manage the warmup (5 min), one workout (about 20 min), and the cooldown (5 min) and get to the point where I'm just this side of too warm. I've been trying to get myself to fit a second workout in. It's usually about 5-10 minutes into the second workout that I have to start pausing the video for a minute or two to cool off.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    if you are new to exercise, a 30 min workout is plenty. Don't think you need to be spending hours of your day exercising. Once you get through 30min, up the intensity. The add in weights.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yeah, aside from making sure you're really well hydrated (like drink several cups of water in the hour leading up to your workout if you can), you might just be going too hard for right now. If you're naked and there's a breeze and you're still hot...not much else you can do! lol! Good luck!
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Have you had a recent check-up at the doctor?
  • KatherineLynnKane
    KatherineLynnKane Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters....sounds as if you are over-doing it.
    Best to start an easy exercise routine and work your way up.
    Walking, beginners yoga, or body sculpting might be more suitable exercise for you.
    I like to attend AquaFitness classes because exercising in the pool is much more comfortable.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't think its in your head.
    The heart monitor sounds like a good idea.
    It does sound like you may be going at it "too hard".
    If they are the only videos you have , stop trying to keep up and just work at a pace you can manage, skipping bits when you get too far behind. After awhile you will co-ordinate better.

I swim because I don't get sweaty! Its wonderful. However when I first get in the pool I do actually go a bit too hard and get breathless, I just slow down, let my heart rate drop a bit and catch my breath.

You are allowed to pause and catch your breath, pause the video.
    Its important that what you are doing is enjoyable so that you wont avoid it.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I get similar symptoms - dizziness, lightheadedness, etc just from summer. These are signs for heat exhaustion. I used to live in a climate where summer lasted for 7 months. I consider it summer when the temperature stays over 35*C (95*F). Many days would be over 40*C (104*F). Can I also add a whinge that I don't work in air-conditioning? Just open windows and ceiling fans. :( Then trying to exercise on top of that? Urgh... horrid.

Firstly - Big thumbs up for water. It helped a lot. Even more so when it wasn't plain water. I found I did better when I had something like 1Tbs of juice for every 500mL of water. (17 oz). Or I'd have a dash of cordial. Or mix in some unsweetened herbal tea. I think having the extra 'something' in there helped. Salts maybe?

Secondly - I know the feeling of no matter how many clothes you take off it's still not enough. You are just too hot. I second what others have said about swimming. The water will help regulate the rise in temperature you experience in exercising.

Thirdly - take it easy. Exercise in the cool part of the day. If that's not an option (because it's still too hot at 11pm, etc), then step in back a notch. I agree with the previous poster would said 30minutes is a great start for a beginner. If you really want to do a second one, do it later in the day, give yourself at least a 1 hour break.

Good luck, and remember, take it easy. Any movement or exercise you do is helping your body to become healthier.
    It doesn't have to be everything it just needs to be something.
  • srr728
    srr728 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with heat. I make sure I drink abt 24 oz of water about every 15-20 mins. It allows for a 1-2 min break to fill my bottle. I also use the fan if the equipment has it, pick a spot under a fan, pick equipment far from other people. There are also "cool" things you can soak in water and wear around your neck. I have also wet a paper towel and wet my neck during a workout. Also, like everyone said be careful you're not doing too much. There is no shame in taking a break and resting.