Mexican restaurants...

Options
Hi all ! Going out for a girlfriends birthday dinner tomorrow and I wanted some insight on the best healthy options to order at a Mexican restaurant.

Taco salad ? Grilled chicken salad?

And please do not comment if you are going to tell me to "cheat" or splurge I am not a huge Mexican fan I would much rather save the cheat meal for pasta or pizza LOL

Replies

• Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Chicken fajitas: lots of good stuff on them and not high in calories

Just make sure that if there's a sauce, to ask for it on the side.
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Definitely something chicken. Maybe chicken fajitas as at least that will have tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
  • FitterinaBallerina
    FitterinaBallerina Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I recently tried fish tacos with a mango salsa at a Mexican Restaurant. Pretty good. I ordered all the toppings on the side so I could kind of control what I was eating.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great ideas ! Fajitas sound good. . I feel like Mexican restaurants are PACKED with sodium I always leave feeling so full and bloated so I def want something light
  • astina2727
    astina2727 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would go with the fajitas as well, and don't be tempted by the chips lol
  • atiral
    atiral Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    The places I go have grilled chicken with peppers and onions. I get vegetables(squash/zuchinni) instead of rice. I scoop up tons of salsa on smaller pieces of chips and don't eat as many chips. I eat between 6-18 chips with one bowl of salsa.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    Options
    Good idea I love squash & zucchini ! I'm more tempted by the margarita (holy calories) than the chips LOL so my plan is to DD so I have no choice but to drink water.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, so I would do veggie fajitas and then not use many (if any) of the tortillas that come with it. Another good choice might be an egg dish like huevos rancheros. The big calorie bomb for me is the huge basket of chips with salsa before the main meal. If you can resist those, that will be a huge step in the right direction.
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I like fish tacos. Sometimes I will get chicken tacos too, and generally I ask for no cheese or sour cream (or get it on the side); and no rice/beans. In fact I ask them to take it back and remove it if they forget.

Also personally I avoid the chips/salsa because once I start it's over. If the table really wants to share in appetizers, I think ceviche is a nice option, can be eaten without chips and it's light. And I love either a skinny margarita or Corona Light. Between that and tacos, I think it's not too bad and still enjoyable. Good luck!
  • LaurenDanielle014
    Options
    Yeah I think I'll do the chicken fajitas and not use the tortilla. Any clue how I would track that calorie wise .. Obviously it will be an estimate
  • bomftdrum
    bomftdrum Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Search online for what you are going to have. If you can't find that particular mexican resturaunt then find one that has basically the same thing. It won't be 100 percent accurate, but it will be a good gauge.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    They usually have a chicken breast meal of some kind (usually covered in cheese, but ask for it plain). You can get a guacamole salad on the side and ask for extra tomatoes. They also usually have grilled shrimp of some sort. I often get a guacamole tostada.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    Options
    Great ideas! Thank you everyone XOXOXO