any 40-something, vegetarians in san francisco?

Options
i know that is very specific. you don't have to meet any of the criteria.

i am in sf and i would like to partner up with people to keep myself motivated. perhaps even meet up to walk around. i am getting tired of my treadmill.

elizabeth

Replies

• tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm a 40-something vegetarian in Indianapolis, IN. We couldn't walk together, side by side, but it never hurts to have another accountability partner.

Theresa In Indy
  • partyhat65
    partyhat65 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hi,

thank you for your response. that is great. i see that you are 19 pounds from goal, that is awesome.
  • hurricanegirl13
    Options
    Not in my 40s... not a vegetarian... and not really in SF... but I AM in the bay area. We can be friends!
  • partyhat65
    Options
    sure, that is great. i am kind of new to mfp. i have used the diary for three months but i have not done any of the social things. is there something that we do to become friends...
  • tress29
    Options
    i see that you are 19 pounds from goal, that is awesome.

Now it's time to clean up my eating more, and add in some strength training. I have the old Power90 DVD set. It's not the fanciest thing anymore, but it works, IF you work it! And since it's already paid for... I used resistance bands before, but bought some 5# dumbells for this go round. My son wants to try it (he's a tiny 15yo) so I may get some 8# for me to transition to, and let him start with the 5s.
  • partyhat65
    Options
    that is great!

i have been doing cardio, mainly for my mood. i actually don't seem to lose as fast when i do a lot of cardio? my body is so weird, lol.

i like strength training and have done it in the past. i just can not seem to find a good program. i should just bite the bullet. any program is better than none.

how have you lost your weight?

i have done diet to go for a few months. it is really great. i am starting to integrate my own food choices in with some of the meals now so that i can eventually eat like a "normal" person. ; )
  • tress29
    Options
    I'd say the first 20# lost was through counting calories, after that it got harder! I dropped the 20# in the first 6 months, in the next 5, I've only managed another 10#. I like to walk when the weather is nice, so I'd take my kids to the mall and walk while they shopped and hung out with their friends! I walk around Meijer at 10pm sometimes!

We just got a bike for my tallest son, so they'll come in, "Hey, we're gong for a bike ride!" We may only ride 20 minutes, but when you do that 4 or 5 times over a weekend... Weekends are the worst for my diet since we tend to eat a lot of convenience food. I can stick to my calories, but am usually way over the sodium, which makes me retain water. \

Can I help if it veggie pizza is so yummy?
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am not in San Francisco, but I am a vegetarian.
    I live in Missouri at the present time, but we have our house up for sale and moving to Arizona.
    I worked for AT&T before I retired in Rohnert Park California
    Maybe we can give each other ideas, would be glad to be your friend.

I am hoping to find some friends in MFP in Bullhead City Arizona or Laughlin Nevada.
    I am on Maintenance at the present time and have lost 50 pounds.
  • tress29
    Options
    Phyllis,

I looked at your profile. I love how you said you like being a size 10! That's my next goal. My 12s are getting loose but I need to lose a little more or tone my waist to change sizes.
  • Ivanna_B
    Ivanna_B Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Partyhat65! Although I'm not a vegetarian, I live in San Francisco and am 37 yrs old so I met one of your preferences and am close to another! (: Also, a lot of my MPF friends live in the bay area as well (search the message boards for "San Francisco" and you'll find a lot of other people who are looking for MPF friends in the bay area).

My personal trainer is one of my MPF friends (ShawnFit24). She works at 24hour fitness center on California Street and she is an EXCELLENT trainer. She can help you focus on your strength training. She will also focus on your diet as well. If that doesn't work for you, I'm sure you can search strength training on yelp.com and see what you find in the area.

You also mentioned wanting to do fitness oriented recreational activities such as walking. www.meetup.com is a GREAT resource in finding walking and other activity groups. Most groups and events are free or VERY low cost! Here's a VERY popular meetup walking group that might appeal to you: http://www.meetup.com/walking-in-SF/

Maybe we can walk/jog around the city or workout together one day? I'll put in a request to add you as a friend.