Workout tips for lower back issues

Options
Hiya, this is my 2nd time back to MFP. I am mid-40's and having a challenge with excercising due to lower back disc, pelvis and hip/knee problems. I kind of have a perfect storm of scoliosis, degenerative disc and alignment issues after a bike accident. These also affect my glutes which get super painful from everything being out of alignment. The only thing that has ever worked for me as far as getting in shape is weight-lifting. I stopped for a long time, but started getting back into it now because I'm desperate to be healthy and I know this is not going to get better as I age unless I do something now. I am on a restricted budget right now so can't afford to get a personal trainer or chiro so was wondering if anyone could suggest specific exercises keeping those physical issues in mind. I work out constantly with the fear that my back is going to go out but recommended things like swimming just don't do it for me.

I really want to build up my core & glutes to help my back, but it seems like the weight needed to build glutes is too much for me to handle. Anyone else dealing with this?

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Replies

• haleymiller0707
    haleymiller0707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi I have back issues too and have had a spinal fusion surgery and the only thing that works for me is workouts on an exercise ball and form roll. The form roller helps my back so much. You can google it for workouts.
  • trueboo
    trueboo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same bad back/hip issues boat. I like using the ball too, and will look into the foam roller and doing more weights. I am starting from the ground up as far as being an exerciser goes. Thanks for asking this question!
  • Togi11
    Togi11 Posts: 20
    Options
    I do use the foam roller to help get the knots out, but really interested in specific weight routines....
  • erlitut
    erlitut Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi - I too have lower back issues although not as severe as it sounds like yours may be ... this is not a direct answer to your question, but I find that gentle yoga (I prefer Iyengar) helps ENORMOUSLY with my back. If I stay on top of my yoga routine, I'm better able to do other exercises (or other physical activities) without getting hurt.